Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Get new techies.

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Get new techies.
    That's an option.

They have been really good over the last three or four years. They advised me what to get when I upgraded my LT, and they got everything transferred over from my failed LT. They installed programs that do the MS stuff I want done, without having to pay the high MS price.

A couple months ago they cleaned things up remotely, which involved a few updates and some new programs. Things have not been running well since then . . . something seems to always be running, eating up CPUs. When I go to sites that are somewhat involved, like weather.com, or aol, where there's a lot of stuff running, whatever is eating up the CPUs doesn't let those sites running.

Sites like this one, that's just sitting there doing nothing, except when you search or post, are no problem.

I think there's hope if I can just get them to find whatever's using all the CPUs.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

JLB, do you have a Windows store in your city? We have a Windows and an Apple store in the same shopping mall not far from us so very convenient. Take your computer there and ask them to upgrade it for you to Windows 10. They will do it for free but you need to back up all your old files yourself before you bring your computer in.

They will do the back-up too and put the files on your computer again but there is a charge for that. If the Windows store does the upgrade for you then you won't have multiple versions of the OS on your computer and it should work much better. They can only do it if the computer isn't too old. We found that out with one of our old notebooks that had Windows 7 on it.

You could also call them and give them your make, model and serial number of your computer and they can look up if your computer can be upgraded or not if you don't have a Windows store in the city you live.

1. I don't know enough to understand why just one site (aol) suddenly does not recognize me, or accept my log-in, when every other site does, and

2. I don't know enough to understand why WIN 10 would be my cure-all, especially since I was told to do anything and everything to avoid WIN 8, which was the current version when I got my LT and was told to make sure I got WIN 7, which I did, WIN 7 Pro.

I don't really do much with my LT, not like a lot of people do. I got to my few little sites every day, and want a place to save pictures and documents. I don't stream videos and music and watch Netflix, and stuff like that
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Super Moderator
    I just upgraded Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro. It went very smoothly. My son also did the same upgrade today with no problems. I need more experience with Windows 10 before commenting on it. So far I like it and it is faster.
    John

When my computer was upgraded had trouble also, failed, took it in to Geek Squad and they did it

I am holding out that mine does not need a major re-doing, that something was simply done at the last "clean-up" that needs to be found, and fixed.

Kinda strange, when I "Run as Administrator" to check my aol mail, some sites still recognize me and some sites see me as trying to access "from another computer."

I'm thinking it is a setting that needs setting, or something like that.

I just upgraded my PC from win 8.1 to 10. It was a project. I tried twice downloading from the Microsoft website. First time failed before the installation, second during the installation. Then I tried the icon on the toolbar that offered the upgrade. Again, first time failed but was successful at last. Win 10 looks much like 8.1 and seems to work fine. I hope that there has been enough time for them to work the bugs out. The nice thing is that the programs all stayed right where they were (just like they said). So far, all seems to be working normally.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Get new techies.
    Agree

Flying at MACH4 +

Maybe some of your Hog farmer next door neighbors hacked the JLB network!

Send over your lawyers.
    Flying at MACH4 +

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast