Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVC Grand Floridian Review - Feb 2014.

Beautiful photos.

Maybe the maids were coming to get that bottle of wine before you complained. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by scootr5 View Post
    Nice review, warts and all. I agree that if you're paying that much per night for the room, the service ought to be exemplary.

The murphy bed under the tv is neat, but I picture that wood floor getting scratched up pretty fast unless there are some major bumper cushions on the legs.

I see from the picture of the fridge that you stocked the essentials.
    Yeah the wine was thanks to our own Angela who so graciously gave my Auntie a birthday surprise.
    Thanks Angela.

And yeah I can see those floors getting all scuffed up too.
    Those maintenance folks are gonna be mighty busy with this new resort.
    It's way too persnickety for all the kids who are going to trample thru pushing all the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsieAng View Post
    Thanks for the review! The pictures look great, but the price & kinks are sure something to think about. I'll be waiting for the day they show up in RCI, before I ever stay there.
    Yeah, don't rush out on this one.
    GF isn't my favorite resort. It's nice but I much prefer Animal Kingdom myself.
    But it has always been Auntie's dream so I was playing Tinker Bell and making her wish come true.

Quote Originally Posted by buzglyd View Post
    Beautiful photos.

Maybe the maids were coming to get that bottle of wine before you complained. ;-)
    Maybe so but they'd have had to fight off two old ladies with sticks before they got a hold of that bottle.

Looks absolutely beautiful!
    Jacki

Beautiful. I could be happy there, but not at those prices. shaggy

I found the review and photos fascinating, thanks so much for sharing. The decor is interesting. I haven't seen American post war decor, is that a good representation of it?

I'm guessing the disks in the first photo are the magic bands, although, in the picture, they look rather large for RFID cards. What do the magic bands do? I've only used RFID cards on the snow fields for lift passes and as cash in restaurants, shops etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jackio View Post
    Looks absolutely beautiful!
    Sure does in the pictures. I guess it has to to get people to pay the crazy prices they are charging for points at this resort.
    Too expensive for my blood. I can barely afford a studio.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Beautiful. I could be happy there, but not at those prices. shaggy
    Yeah I think I'll be staying elsewhere from now on til they show up in RCI.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolF View Post
    I found the review and photos fascinating, thanks so much for sharing. The decor is interesting. I haven't seen American post war decor, is that a good representation of it?

I'm guessing the disks in the first photo are the magic bands, although, in the picture, they look rather large for RFID cards. What do the magic bands do? I've only used RFID cards on the snow fields for lift passes and as cash in restaurants, shops etc.
    I'm no decorating expert but it's a nice modern version.
    There is a renewed interest in making the old new again.
    I love the subway tile look. Mom hates it, says it reminds her of the cheap NYC apartments of her youth.
    She is so shocked that I decided to redo my own bathroom with that look.
    Of course mine is a more modern version of it but I just love glass block.
    I love marble too but it gets pricey quick so I skipped the marble and went with wood tiles instead.

And those magic bands are actually the size of a watch. I wore it over my watch.
    They have a tiny chip embedded under the Mickey head.
    They really don't work great. You have to touch the band to the sensor.
    Sometimes it doesn't pick it up. I think you should be able to waive it in front of the sensor instead.
    Not sure why they didn't go with that technology instead. Maybe they will have that option soon.
    Definitely slows things down when they have to use a scanner to read your band and then you
    have to enter a PIN #. If that was it then great, but you still have to sign a paper copy.
    Seems to defeat the magic of the magic bands.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskre View Post
    Definitely slows things down when they have to use a scanner to read your band and then you
    have to enter a PIN #. If that was it then great, but you still have to sign a paper copy.
    Seems to defeat the magic of the magic bands.

It sounds like the bands are used for purchasing food/items? on account, rather than access around the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolF View Post

It sounds like the bands are used for purchasing food/items? on account, rather than access around the resort.
    Oh you need it for access too.
    All the guards have scanners.
    Of course you can just show your ID and they will check their list of guests the old fashioned way.
    So now instead of going green, Disney is now killing trees and filling landfills with magic bands that expire or will get lost.
    You can recycle them but then you lost the rest of your days access.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsieAng View Post
    I'll be waiting for the day they show up in RCI, before I ever stay there.
    You and me both, Angela, you and me both!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast