• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not heard any more.

It really is a nice, family-oriented place:

http://www.applevalleyresort.com/photos.htm

& one of few resorts in the region.

It seems like the type of place that would not have problems succeeding, and would be an ideal set-up to continue operating as an association of vacation condos.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Nice to see that you are back on the meds, and that the voices have gone away.

Comment

When you look at the POA site, there's no mention of anything going on:

http://www.applevalleypoa.com/

The only thing you find googling is a lame facebook page, with these latest posts:

Carol Burrier — 5 starStayed here 6 times now and is our favorite. Amish country close and flea markets and antique shops
        about 2 months ago · 6 Reviews ·

Comments
        Kristen Keiffer We are timeshare owners and were suppose to check in today. We found out yesterday it's been closed since May. Did you truly stay at AV resort in July?
        July 29 at 9:17am
        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

They are not in the Resort Directory any more.

Comment

There's an amazing lack of chatter on the Internet about this.

Comment

Pity. As you say, not many resorts in Ohio. Always figured we'd end up there once we weren't traveling with the troops/after the kids started kicking out cash (2 BRs only sleep six).

Comment

I think I've mentioned that there is great potential as a non-timeshare. Clubhouse, pool, playground, nice lake, excellent golf course, rural setting, a couple hour's drive from Columbus and Cleveland. Great second home, or even retiree home potential.

I could easily see it being marketed as full-ownership condos. If I recall, each building has two 2-bedroom units, and each unit had/has a hot-tub room (so every unit has another bedroom not being used as a bedroom). Seems like there are 30, 31, or 32 buildings. But, I was told that it cannot be sold piecemeal, that it has to be sold as a complex. Something about the deed(s). I don't buy that because it is a deeded resort, so there is an existing legal description for each unit. Legally convert it from 50 interests in each of those to one interest. Put all the proceeds in an account, and divide among the owners at the end (paying delinquencies out of those owners' shares).

We traded in the last week of July for several years, because we were vendors at Longaberger's Basket Bee. Then, one year, Apple Valley instituted a 1-in-4 rule and RCI canceled our exchange, but after the "Guide" said that if it got confirmed we were OK. I had a little Brouhaha with RCI, and the last words out of the mouth of an RCI lady was, "We have a legal department for people like you."

It so happened that we had RCI-member friends in real life, and we stayed at Apple Valley through them that year. Actually, we operated our business in Dresden during the Basket Bee in the yard of the mother of the couple who booked us into Apple Valley that year, and we are still good friends with them today.

Here's the thing that pissed me off with RCI, well, other than them lying about our the reservation. Apple Valley had a history of financial problems so they had taken one of the unsold duplex buildings that had been used for storage, and brought in a marketing team. They instituted the 1-in-4 rule to try to force people to buy a week.

Our Apple Valley/RCI led to "Inside Guy", who reached out to me in 2004, a monumental year on an other internet forum. He is still with RCI.

Things tend to work out even if it does not appear that way in the heat of the moment.

There was a time when I would have enjoyed doing a project like this, selling off the units.

Comment

Given the strong recovery of the economy over the last 8 years, and the resurgence in the sale of second homes/vacation properties, a 2/3-bedroom lake and golf vacation home in Central Ohio should bring at least $100,000, maybe $150,000, so there's $6,000,000 gross. Let's say $5,000,000 net.

1500 owners @ $3000 each.

Comment

Working...
                  X