class action lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• class action lawsuit

I wonder if VRI's practices regarding resale of their timeshares may be grounds for a class action suit. Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks

What practices are you referring to?

Comment

"This guy" is a long term interval owner of a VRI property, who was told upon buying it, that resale back to VRI was a readily available option, and there would be no problem if such resale was desired. Such has not been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by cwkaiser
        "This guy" is a long term interval owner of a VRI property, who was told upon buying it, that resale back to VRI was a readily available option, and there would be no problem if such resale was desired. Such has not been the case.
        Did VRI tell you that? Or whoever it was that sold you the property?
        “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Unless you have an agreement in writing from VRI stating that they're willing to buy back, or at least accept, unwanted ownerships, then you have nothing other than another salesman's lie.

I'd bet that nearly 80% (if not higher) of the presentations we've been on have at least alluded to the idea that the timeshare they were trying to sell us was at least as valuable as buying a vacation home and could be sold for a profit. What they're really saying, if you listen well, is that they were selling those timeshares for $10,000 10 years ago and now they're selling them for $20,000 today, so the price is going UP! That's not the same as telling you that the resale market is doing the same.

We own a couple of timeshares where the developer has had some sort of buy back program in place. The thing has always been to read the fine print of such programs. It's been the rare exception when the planets have alligned in such a way that we could have taken advantage of such a program. The one time we did agree to sell our timeshares back to the developer for a set price, the bottom dropped out of the economy and the offer was withdrawn without even sending us an E-mail stating they were no longer interested in completing the transaction.

So no, a class action won't be effective unless you have an agreement in writing which is enforcable. Otherwise it's your word against theirs and that's going to be a tough one to prove.
          Our timeshare and other photo's at http://dougp26364.smugmug.com/

Comment

The signature with the quote about "this guy" has nothing to do with you. It's a standard signature that goes with every post made by that person.

Comment

Yes....If you have it in writing.

Colin

Comment

The quote you mention isn't part of the message it's my signature tag line.

As for any buy back VRI has never offered that as far as I know. In fact VRI isn't even a developer - they are a management company. With very few exceptions any sales at a VRI resort are done by an independent group not VRI.

So you may have had VRI as your management for the property but I seriously doubt VRI was the selling agent. Your beef is with them and even that would require something in the paperwork that stated they will buy back the timeshare. I also doubt you'll find that either. What they may have said means nothing - only what you and they agreed to in the written contract counts.

If you didn't know it salesmen - especially timeshare salesmen - often lie. It is up to you to make sure what they promised verbally is in writing or else don' sign. Once you do you are bound by that contract and anything verbal is just more hot air. Sorry but there is no case here - certainly not against VRI.

Comment

Originally posted by timeos2 View Post

As for any buy back VRI has never offered that as far as I know. In fact VRI isn't even a developer - they are a management company. With very few exceptions any sales at a VRI resort are done by an independent group not VRI. ...
                  That was the point of my reply. I would be surprised if the OP actually bought his timeshare from VRI. It's entirely possible that the owner listed the unit for sale with VRI, but that's the equivalent of a placing a classified ad in a newspaper.

Most of us also know from personal experience how easy it is for two to listen to the same person speaking the same words at the same time and come away with very different recollections of what was actually said. Hence the common requirement that if it's not in writing it probably isn't enforceable.
                  “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Thanks, everybody, for all the information.

Comment

Working...
                    X