Pros and Cons of Marriott's TS Properties on Kauai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Marriott's TS Properties on Kauai

We are beginning the planning stage of a 2+ week trip to Hawaii for Christmas 2012 and are interested in hearing from folks who have stayed at or own any of the Marriott properties on Kauai. We are a party of 3 (2 adults and a 10 year old). We are planning on a week in Kauai, then 4 days at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, then a couple of days in Oahu.

The 3 Kauai properties are:
    Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club on Poipu Beach
    Marriott's Kauai Lagoons
    Marriott's Kauai Beach Club

Any and all opinions on these 3 properties (pros/cons) would be most appreciated.

Any thoughts/tips on the Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu would also be terrific.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Best,
    HLIW
    HLIW
    "I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott

all three

Kauai Beach Club is a converted hotel. A one bedroom is really two hotel rooms with a connecting door. One side usually has a king side bed. A few may have two queen size. The other side has a Murphy bed. We have used it and it comfortable (much more than a sofa bed). Three bedrooms are three hotel rooms connected.The beach is right there and is very nice and has small waves since it is a bay. Plenty of sand, and its location is pretty much for the hotel. Shade is available. The room has a small mini fridge on each side. The freezer part is pretty useless. It is still part of the hotel, so it has the things a hotel has. The pool is large and heated. It is basically four feet deep all around. If you are not going to tour Kauai, there is a shuttle from the airport and you do not need a car.
    Waiohi is a built for timeshare. Mostly 2 bedrooms. The rooms are very nice. A small beach is there, Poipu Beach is a short walk. Very nice grounds. Do not pay extra for ocean view. You may get a room with barely a view. Go for the garden view. Pools are small. The full kitchens and in room laundry is very good. No shuttle, you need a car.
    Lagoons are beautiful, however, if a beach is what you seek, you need to drive (there maybe a shuttle) to the beach at the Kauai Beach Club. It is up on the cliffs and has a great view, and on the golf course.
    Ko Olina is out on the western side of Ohau. You will need a car. It is away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. the rooms are very nice. It has a man made lagoon for swimming with a beach. Not much shade on the beach. Disney is opening their own place this August down the stree. It is very large.
    We have owned and stayed at all but the Lagoons. Our favorite is still our first...Kauai Beach Club. Any other questions, just reply here and I will try to answer ASAP

Comment

Why buy the cow when . . .

hawaii vacation rentals classifieds "marriott" - craigslist

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/vac/
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by d1950m View Post
        Kauai Beach Club is a converted hotel. A one bedroom is really two hotel rooms with a connecting door. One side usually has a king side bed. A few may have two queen size. The other side has a Murphy bed. We have used it and it comfortable (much more than a sofa bed). Three bedrooms are three hotel rooms connected.The beach is right there and is very nice and has small waves since it is a bay. Plenty of sand, and its location is pretty much for the hotel. Shade is available. The room has a small mini fridge on each side. The freezer part is pretty useless. It is still part of the hotel, so it has the things a hotel has. The pool is large and heated. It is basically four feet deep all around. If you are not going to tour Kauai, there is a shuttle from the airport and you do not need a car.
        Waiohi is a built for timeshare. Mostly 2 bedrooms. The rooms are very nice. A small beach is there, Poipu Beach is a short walk. Very nice grounds. Do not pay extra for ocean view. You may get a room with barely a view. Go for the garden view. Pools are small. The full kitchens and in room laundry is very good. No shuttle, you need a car.
        Lagoons are beautiful, however, if a beach is what you seek, you need to drive (there maybe a shuttle) to the beach at the Kauai Beach Club. It is up on the cliffs and has a great view, and on the golf course.
        Ko Olina is out on the western side of Ohau. You will need a car. It is away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. the rooms are very nice. It has a man made lagoon for swimming with a beach. Not much shade on the beach. Disney is opening their own place this August down the stree. It is very large.
        We have owned and stayed at all but the Lagoons. Our favorite is still our first...Kauai Beach Club. Any other questions, just reply here and I will try to answer ASAP
        Many thanks for your thoughtful and detailed reply!
        This is very helpful.
        Regards,
        HLIW
        HLIW
        "I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott

Comment

We stayed at Marriott Kauai Beach Club and loved it for both location and hotel amenities.

Comment

We've stayed at KBC and Waiohai and toured Lagoons. Hands down the best views are at the Lagoons, they are truly stunning, and while it's being built, it's probably not that tough a trade--as far as any Hawaii trade goes. However, as previously mentioned above, if you're looking for a beach vacation Lagoons is probably not your best choice. We didn't spend that much time there, however while we were there I didn't notice much construction noise.

As I said we've stayed at both KBC and Waiohai and my first comment would be, how you view each resort would be, IMO, highly dependent on which unit/view you receive. Having said that, assuming views and units are equal, I would pick Waiohai over KBC mainly because it is a purpose built T/S as opposed to converted hotel units. You have full kitchen facilities there as opposed to KBC. If you like going out to eat and don't plan on using the kitchen then maybe the hotel amenities of KBC would be a better choice. KBC is close to the Lihue airport which could be a curse or advantage, though I don't remember airport noise being much of a problem.

Waiohai is located in Poipu which is somewhat isolated but located on sunny south side of the island. It's a beautiful drive to the resort, but if you plan on doing a lot of touring on the island, the drive back and forth to the resort can get tedious.

Comment

We were at Marriott's Waiohai last year. Very nice resort with maybe a more remote location by Poipu (sp?) beach. They had a nice lagoon for swiming when we wanted to get into the ocean. Beach area is on the small side. Nice pool area and several hot tubs. Onsite ocean front bar/grill that was adaquate. A small shopping mall within walking distance or a short drive. There were a few restaurants within a short drive or even within walking distance depending on your ability to walk (my wife has problems with her feet). Kauai is covered in chickens and Waiohai is no different. Our first morning we were awakened by a rooster crowing shortly after sunrise. After that, we didn't have a problem the rest of the week. All units are dedicated two bedroom units. They are not lock-outs.

I have a photo album on my-vacationclub.com under owners vacation photo's if you do a resort search for Waiohai or, you can use this link to access the album, which is on my smugmug page. http://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel...86016036_7g2E9
              Our timeshare and other photo's at http://dougp26364.smugmug.com/

Comment

Working...
              X