HGVC New vs resale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HGVC New vs resale

I'm new to all of this, and was ready to sign on the dotted line directly with Hilton, but then I saw that I could possibly find the same thing for much less through resale. I asked Hilton about this just to see their response and they said I would forever be "tagged" as a resale and wouldn't get the same service or benefits or special offers or automatic membership with RCI if I bought resale. I've read otherwise on this forum, but can anyone tell me their experience if they've bought HGVC resale vs. direct? Also, what is a reasonable price for direct sales through Hilton- I didn't know if I was getting a deal or a rip-off. In addition, is it better to buy in Florida or Hawaii? We've been to HHV twice, but after we have kids I doubt that will continue, but it may be nice to have. Is it as easy as Hilton says to exchange to any location?
    Sorry for the load of questions!!! Any replies are very welcome!

You did good not buying retail...

I think resale is the only way to go. You'll get all the same benny's.

Unless you need hawaii all the time, I'd buy where the maint fees are the cheapest.

Hilton's bad rap is the lack of resorts. You can book online for orlando,vegas,hawaii,mexico. The affiliates, s/w florida, you'll have to call for availability. They exchange with RCI outside their resorts, but you won't be able to search online yourself.

Others will offer their opinions too, I'm sure.

Good luck!
    Bill

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!
      How do you book online? Do resale owners have access to a HGVC website to do online booking? And, if there is a problem, who can I call to clarify any issues related to booking? Will they still be willing to help me? The Hilton rep had said I'd be doing all my vacation planning through them (ie- my sales rep) for the long term when I bought direct.
      I'm not so concerned about the RCI part, as I have membership and online access to them through another property.

Comment

Originally posted by hbrande
        Thanks for the quick reply!
        How do you book online? Do resale owners have access to a HGVC website to do online booking? And, if there is a problem, who can I call to clarify any issues related to booking? Will they still be willing to help me? The Hilton rep had said I'd be doing all my vacation planning through them (ie- my sales rep) for the long term when I bought direct.
        I'm not so concerned about the RCI part, as I have membership and online access to them through another property.
        As with most sales reps, they lied to you. Vacation planning through your sales rep? You would never talk to them again after you purchase!

As a resale owner, I get all of the benefits that any other HGVC member gets, regardless of how they purchased. Period. Access to web site, access to customer service, conversion to HHonors points, everything!

As for where to purchase, unless you need a specific fixed event week like Christmas in Hawaii, just look to purchase the number of points you think you will need for the best overall price (considering purchase price and maintenance fees). Platinum season will give you the best points/MF ratio, since with HGVC, MFs are based on unit size -- not number of points.

Good luck in whatever you decide. HGVC is a very good and flexible system, but it does have its negatives as well. Let us know if you have more questions!

Kurt

Comment

Working...
        X