Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sydney... Some advice please....

Quote Originally Posted by vintner View Post
    That is a heck of a trip under consideration. Wonderful to be able to explore to that extent.

I know my opinion doesn't matter on this, but as a wine person, I would visit New Zealand. At least, you could bring back a case for your good friend, Don
    We have relatives in New Caledonia and New Zealand. My mother is from Tahiti and my wife is from Hawaii. I think that's why we like island destinations.

Personally, I think we should do New Zealand, Tahiti and New Caledonia on another trip. But, I need to get the options to review with my wife first.

A few hrs north of Sydney is the wine making region called the Hunter Valley. There's even a Worldmark there at Pokolbin. You could spend a nt there if you enjoy wine.

As for adding NZ as well, there's lots to take in in NZ. At that time of yr, you could go to the snow in NZ. You'd have to decide to do the Nth or Sth island. We've been twice, had a couple of wks in the South one yr then had a wk in the North a couple of yrs ago. We hired a camper van and toured at leisure. Went to Mt Ruapehu, Lake Taupo & Rotorua.

In Sydney, if you had your week planned out, you could be busy but otherwise, there's not that much to see to fill in a whole week unless you do day trips or an overnighter somewhere within driving distance like the Hunter Valley or Blue Mountains. It's lovely up there especially if you stay overnight. Will you do the Bridgeclimb, where you can climb the Harbour Bridge? That'd be a fun thing to do in Sydney (expensive though) or a free tour of the Opera House.

I also read that there's not much to do in Cairns for a whole, week but then that depends whether you like to do nothing and relax most of the time or be busy seaing things.
    Syd

Quote Originally Posted by BocaBum99 View Post
    Have you been to Hawaii? It's so close to Australia relative to the rest of the US.
    No, but we have a friend who booked a week there for us next July. We're hoping to be able to go. If we do, we'll be there from 3rd to 10th July and are hoping to get another week.
    Let me know the dates you'll be here when you find out. Would hate to miss you. Although if we miss each other, maybe we can do a house swap!
    Syd

I was in Australia many many years ago. It really is beautiful, but I would reserve doing NZ for another time like Sydney says there's lots to do and see in NZ. A week won't be enough.

As a scuba diver a week may be nice in Cairns, the great barrier reef is stupendeous, but I agree a week maybe alot there. You could go to the Daintree National Park about 80 miles north of Cairns, but since your wife enjoys nature she may like this. This website looked interesting Cairns Attractions: Things to see in Cairns and things to do in North Queensland, Australia. I didn't get to see the Daintree rainforest. I was on a tour. I would like to return to see this and also go clear across to the other side of Australia to Perth. Oh another place that you may want to take your wife though not close by is Melbourne, then there there are the smallest penguins in the world - the fairy penguins and they come out from the water every night on Phillip island and walk to their rookeries. Some nights there could be hundreds of these penguins, we were lucky we saw alot, the night before the group saw only a few. That is a sight I will never forget, it was amazing. The park has viewing stations, bleachers for spectators to see and not get in the penguins path. here's a good one of them coming out of the water:
    PENGUIN PHOTOGRAPH, PENGUIN PHOTO, PICTURES OF PENGUIN

Hey Boca, looks like you're in luck with airfares. There'll be another airline vying for the US-AU route. Maybe you'll be able to get cheap tickets after all.

The price war will continue I hope.
    Syd

We live around the Cairns area, so hopefully can provide a little bit of guidance for you!

Firstly, I'd definitely make NZ its own holiday - there's a lot to do there (and depending what you want to do, winter may not be the best time to see all of NZ's sights, because of the hassle in getting around in the snow etc).

Cairns is a good destination for tourists - there's plenty of beaches if that's your thing, the great barrier reef of course, or if you're a traveler that likes road trips, there's plenty of little day trips (or longer) you can do to see the area. Cairns is really a big town rather than a city, and it provides a great base to get out of the city and into some real sights.

You may even prefer to see Melbourne or even Perth instead of Cairns - but if Cairns is on your list, feel free to ask any questions and I'll see if I can help!

Monty,

We were in Sydney 2/1/08 and Cairns for three days. I could use advice on choosing resorts and locations for Australia late 2009/possibly early 2010.

Thanks

What sort of holiday did you have in mind, and are you moving around or looking to stay in the one spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    What sort of holiday did you have in mind, and are you moving around or looking to stay in the one spot?
    We usually like to stay at least three weeks in nice spots. So maybe three areas in Australia.

When we were in Cairns, we went snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef and then to Kuranda via train/skyrail.

Hi Monty,
    welcome and thanks for answering our questions.

We have been thinking about going to Cairns for a few yrs now. DO yo think there is enough to do there for a family?

We were thinking of maybe doing the Captain Cook cruise and then spending some time in a timeshare there as well.

We've been snorkelling in Fiji with the kids and all loved it, except for the toddler who was a still a baby at that stage.

What would you recommend and would 2 wks in Cairns be too long?
    Syd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast