Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Holiday Club

Royal Holiday Club

Does anyone have experience with Royal Holiday Club? They appear to have resorts in NYC and London (Allen House Club). How many units do they own in their most desirable properties? Is it relatively easy to get a reservation? How far in advance?

I don't know the numbers of units or exactly how they work that. It's not that many at the popular locations. A 'normal' owner can make reservations one year in advance (and Platinum and Royal members can make reservations 18 months and two years in advance) but you go and try to make reservations at the popular places you mention, and others, and they tell you that the inventory isn't available for booking yet. It really doesn't make sense. I tried recently to book London for Summer 06 and got that answer, not that they were already booked but that they weren't available YET.

Another oddity is that even with points there are distinct periods you can book. For instance Affinnia Dumont NYC you can only book 3nights starting on a Wed; 4nights starting on a Sat; or 7nights starting on a Wed or Sat. It's very difficult, you can't just book a weekend.

A couple months ago I tried to book Hotel Napolean Paris for February and got the answer 'not available yet'. I asked to be put on a wait list, OK they said. A few weeks later I called and asked about my status and all of a sudden they could book it for me (but they didn't call me for the waitlist).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMid
    I don't know the numbers of units or exactly how they work that. It's not that many at the popular locations. A 'normal' owner can make reservations one year in advance (and Platinum and Royal members can make reservations 18 months and two years in advance) but you go and try to make reservations at the popular places you mention, and others, and they tell you that the inventory isn't available for booking yet. It really doesn't make sense. I tried recently to book London for Summer 06 and got that answer, not that they were already booked but that they weren't available YET.

Another oddity is that even with points there are distinct periods you can book. For instance Affinnia Dumont NYC you can only book 3nights starting on a Wed; 4nights starting on a Sat; or 7nights starting on a Wed or Sat. It's very difficult, you can't just book a weekend.

A couple months ago I tried to book Hotel Napolean Paris for February and got the answer 'not available yet'. I asked to be put on a wait list, OK they said. A few weeks later I called and asked about my status and all of a sudden they could book it for me (but they didn't call me for the waitlist).
    I am suspecting London might be M/F related... They were originally suppose to open up Oct. and now saying much later... I think Wilma made RHC cash strapped so they were putting off some payments / expenses...
    Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Would you guys recommend buying into RHC? The resale market price for these membership is nearly zero and the MF's are priced right. But if RHC is "cash-strapped", is the future for RHC looking bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ehlee
    Would you guys recommend buying into RHC? The resale market price for these membership is nearly zero and the MF's are priced right. But if RHC is "cash-strapped", is the future for RHC looking bad?
    They've just had their 'special assessment' due, so if you buy now without having to reimburse the SA, then you're doing well. Most people here and on TUG like the RHC they've gotten at low prices despite the admin nightmare which is RHC. Check holidaygroup.com or timesharehelp.net and make lowball offers, or eBay.

I am enjoying my membership now that I have enough points in a unified account that brings the MFs to an even lower level.

any thoughts on how many points is "enough"? let's say i wanted a week at the Allen House at least a week a year in red season...

any thoughts on how many points is "enough"? let's say i wanted a week at the Allen House at least a week a year in red season...
    For an Abassodor Unit (2 BR) at Allen House, the point cost is 32,846 for July, August, Christmas and New Years weeks. The same unit costs 20,842 for any other time of year.

The Royal Holiday Website details all of the resort locations and also lists the point values for each resort in the system. You probably need at least 25,000 points to travel to most of the resorts in the RHC system. There are restrictions as to how many points you can carry over from year to year and you cannot borrow from future use, but they do allow you to buy additional credits if you are short for a particular reservation. You can accumulate up to 20% per year or in every 3rd year, you can roll over 100% of your points to the next year. Also, if you are over 50 years old, you can combine 2 years of points together (2 M/F payments) and your contract is then reduced 1 year (All contracts are 30 year RTUs).

RHC appears to have some great resorts in some great locations. The M/Fs are right. I'm just curious as to why you can buy these TS on the market for so little? 30K points for less than $2000? Any opinions as to why this is? Is this just the best TS deal out there?

I'm just curious as to why you can buy these TS on the market for so little?
    My opinion is that you have to work a little to use it, learn a lot, and be able to put up with their horrible admin. For those people who were suckered in to buying retail, they are unhappy with this and just want out. Many have thus 'traded' theirs in for other timeshares or travel clubs and the broker/consolidator is just trying to get some money out of it. If you buy at the cheap price you can be very happy with it. I have reservations for Paris, NYC, and SanFran this year.

The weeks at holidaygroup.com are those that have been dumped/traded as are many of the weeks that show up on eBay. The weeks at timesharehelp.net are owner weeks and most of them still think they're worth a lot.

I will second the notion that the reason for the depressed resale value is due to the admin. I don't know how many times I have requested that they send me a copy of the confirmation and the VC tells me that they will send it right out, and nothing ever is sent (either via snail mail or e-mail). Their billing department also seems to have problems and I always have to make sure that I keep records of all of my payments.

I also think most of the other RHC members do not request their vacation weeks far in advance, so when they call in to RHC, there is nothing available in the areas where they want to vacation. After several years of paying into the system and receiving nothing in return, they are happy to just get rid of the membership. The one membership that I purchased had not been used for the last 5 years (it was a weeks membership).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast