Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report on my Trip to Scotland

Personally I think you should have skipped the meal and toured the Eilean Donan Castle. It is wonderful. I also visited Sterling Castle and the Edinburgh of course, and another one named Blair I think. That one I remember the long walk from the train depot. I had a Scottish railpass and milked it for what it was worth. Went to the end of the line in all directions with Aviemore as my base (Scandinavian Village timeshare resort is walking distance from the Aviemore train station). I was traveling solo thus didn't want to rent a car and do lots of driving on the left by myself.

P.S. Forgot to say I piggybacked a full week in London. So much to see and experience in London that I think a day trip from Scotland would be kinda crazy.

Smile We were at each Resort for one week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingfish
    Just wanted to jump in and say thank you for your great review... hubby and I were talking about booking a vacation... I was thinking sun and beach and out of the blue he said SCOTLAND!!
    I checked out the resorts and had picked the castle you stayed at-- so I will be trying to book soon!
    How long were you there?? Just a week? Looks like you did ALOT!! and got alot of siteseeing done. Did you do the planning yourself or did the resort help you?
    TIA!
    We were at each Resort for one week. We did the planning ourselves with the help of several guide books,TV and DVD's. I really like the Guide Books, DVD, and TV shows of Rick Steves and Rudy Maxa.

http://www.ricksteves.com/

http://www.rudymaxa.com/

If you have a high speed hook up and want to see my pictures just email and I'll invite you to see them on the Kodak Galley Web site.

I like the sun and beaches too. But everyone should see Scotland at least once. And, Scotland has the sun and beaches too.

Walt

Great Review! We tayed at Kilconquar in a 2bdrm in the Castle. First time we ever had a tanning bed in the unit. Really enjoyed the resort and Scotland.

I got Kilconquhar on hold

Ok so I got Kilconquhar on hold last night as hubby said he wanted to go to scotland... now hes waffling on me... not sure thats the "right" place to stay... says it looks too far out of the way!! UGHHH I have tried to assure him that it got great reviews (thank you walt for sharing)-- So now my question would be if we rent a car is there enough to see and do within driving distance???

By the way they gave us a 3 bedroom (in exchange for our 1 bedroom) and we only needed a one bedroom! for the first week in Oct.. which also has him nervous could be too cold??? hmmm

This is our first exchange so I guess hes just nervous!

I haven't been to Kilconquhar (yet), and at first it looked too far out of the way for me too. But on further investigation, it's near a beautiful coastal path which is right up our alley, since we like to walk in scenic and historic areas. So, I changed my mind about that, thanks to nice bulletin board people like Walt, and others from TUG, and some online research. It's also near St. Andrews. Does your husband like to golf??

If it's of any importance to you to stay in the old castle as opposed to a newer lodge (or vice versa), check the unit #... many of the 3-bedrooms are lodge units. RCI, or whoever you're using, can tell you whether or not it's a castle unit you've got on hold.

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Just a reminder that the Castle units 1-9 have LOTS of stairs....I say Take IT!
    and bring warm clothing

Smile With a car there is more than enough to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingfish
    Ok so I got Kilconquhar on hold last night as hubby said he wanted to go to scotland... now hes waffling on me... not sure thats the "right" place to stay... says it looks too far out of the way!! UGHHH I have tried to assure him that it got great reviews (thank you walt for sharing)-- So now my question would be if we rent a car is there enough to see and do within driving distance???

By the way they gave us a 3 bedroom (in exchange for our 1 bedroom) and we only needed a one bedroom! for the first week in Oct.. which also has him nervous could be too cold??? hmmm

This is our first exchange so I guess hes just nervous!
    Hi Dancingfish,

You will want a car if you really want to see the area. But there is enough to see for several weeks. See some pictures!

http://photobucket.com/albums/e83/te...20Kilconquhar/

Walt

Planning advice please

With 8 months to go I thought maybe I should start to investigate our vacation!
    Walt ( and others) Did you plan your tours in advance? Did you use RCI tours, The resorts tours or book on your own? I know we will need a car-- but in Edinburgh (through RCI) There are a number of walking tours and even a double decker bus that will take you to all the sites (you can hop on and off all day) which seems like a deal that way you don't need to navigate or find parking!

Also is one day enough in Edinburgh or should I plan for 2?
    I found this deal on the RCI site for $39 a person:

FREE entry to 32 of the city's most exciting attractions
    FREE return airport transfer and unlimited bus travel for transport around the city and the surrounding area
    25 Exclusive OFFERS from some of Edinburgh's best retailers, restaurants, festival and leisure providers
    Includes the Edinburgh Pass 100-page color guidebook, listing all participating Attractions and Exclusive Offers. Also includes useful visitor information, area maps and bus routes. (Valued at £3.50)

Also I was thinking of extending our vacation by a few days (wish I could do more but we already have an Alaskan vacation in June and for some reason my boss thinks I need to work a few days this year lol) Any suggestions on where to visit? England or another part of scotland?
    Thanks!

edinburgh has lots to offer 1day is not enough

ok my trip is one month away! OCTOBER!!!still looking for information. I recieved a packet from Kilconquhar that shows they have tours everyday-- maybe we could get by without a car? and use the bus and the tours they have lined up???

Anyone wanna jump in?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast