Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Resorts

Platinum Contributor

Alaska Resorts

Any good Alaska Resorts that folks have stayed at and would like to recommend, since it appears there are no timeshares in this state?

Alyeska Resort in Girdwood, about 30 miles from Anchorage.

http://www.princesslodges.com/

These guys also operate 5 resorts in AK. Lots of bus/rail tours before/after tourists do their weeklong AK cruise.

Here's one other:
    http://www.kennicottlodge.com/

Alask

I can tell you that my son was not impressed with Alaska. You have to get the right weeks and their are so few because the weather is not great. He worked on a cruise ship running up and down the coast and for the most part the people did not see a lot due to the weather.

So be carefull

Do you know what the best weeks are?

Alaska is a beautiful state with much to offer in both scenery and wildlife. But, it is not really known for it's luxery resorts. We stayed at a resort in Denali Park and it was just like a log built motel, but, location, location, location. You kind of have to know where you want to be, as it is a really big state and the different parts of it are very diverse from the Kenai Pennesula in the SW to the Danali Park and the Northern areas of Fairbanks and above.
    Here are a couple of WEB sites where you can view the resorts in various parts of the state:
    http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/alaska/
    http://www.alaska.worldweb.com/WheretoStay/Resorts/
    The best months, I think, are June, July and August. These are the nicest weather wise and you also have the long daylight hours ( 16-23 hours depending on how far north or wouth you are in the state.
    My son spent his sophmore year of college on an exchange program to University of Alaska, Anchorage and loved living there and I also have a niece who lives in Fairbanks and loves it there.
    Sorry this post was so late just catching up. Hope the sites help out some.
    Ken H.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmtih1947
    I can tell you that my son was not impressed with Alaska. You have to get the right weeks and their are so few because the weather is not great. He worked on a cruise ship running up and down the coast and for the most part the people did not see a lot due to the weather.

So be carefull
    Alaska is twice the size of Texas...and climate changes throughout. I know that SE Alaska is much rainier and can be overcast (cruise ships must see alot of that). Anchorage area can be overcast a lot but can get more sunny days. Fairbanks can get 100degF (or -50F in winter). Whittier on the Prince William Sound (I understand) was chosen as a WW2 Navy installation because it's virtually always shrowded in clouds and protected from Japanese air attack.

I love summers in Alaska...is it possible your son didn't get a representative taste? They have a booming tourist business in the summer. Thousands of visitors (like me) love it.
    Hat

The Talkeetna Lodge was very nice. It is one of several resorts operated by a consortium of Native Americans. Check it out at www.alaskaheritagetours.com. If you stay there,spring for a room in the main lodge. The out buildings,while nice,get swarms of notorious Alaska mosquitoes.

Oh, that's a drag that your son had a bad time on his trip! I'm an avid skiier and I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good timeshare place in Alaska? I've been to the Yukon but I've never made it to Alaska and I don't have a clue what's available there or even if there are any good ski slopes in the state. V
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmtih1947 View Post

So be carefull

There are no time share resorts in AK. There are hunting and fishing lodges that vary from rustic to plush. A lot of the hotels and lodges call themselves resorts. Nothing like a timeshare... There are a few of these that have partner agreements with timeshare chains for exchange purposes. For instance, the Aleyska Grand Prince Hotel in Girdwood. If you're familiar with WorldMark by Wyndham point system, a room in the resort goes for 3,000 Worldmark points per night.

The cruise and hotel industry have a tight grasp on the tourism industry up here. There are two other ways to see AK besides taking a cruise or cruise plus break before returning outside (to the lower 48):

1. drive the ALCAN from Dawson Creek BC to Fairbanks or Anchorage
    2. ride the AK Marine Highway (ferry) from Bellingham WA or Prince Rupert BC to points north
    3. fly into Anchorage and rent a Class C motor home for $150 to $175 a day and drive the only road in AK. That seems pricey buy you can camp for free to $24 a day (depending on the site), your accomodations, transportation, and kitchen are combined in one locale. Hotels rent for $95 to $150 a night, rental cars are $80 to $125 a day, and about the only place more expensive for meals is Hawaii. We have lots of resturants in the larger cities.

If you want world class nordic and downhill skiing, we have it. For all of you that wear NorthFace gear, it's a slope on the north face of Aleyska Ski Resort in Girdwood, 35 miles out of Anchorage proper, but still in the city limits. Alyeska Resort | Snow Report

I've lived permanently within and traveled throughout Alaska since 11/87. The weather can be a problem. Dress in layers and add/remove clothing as necessary. It does rain, and is sometimes windy. You want a waterproof windbreaker with a hood. Bring a pair of good, comfortable, and water proof walking shoes. Bring lots of money...

We do have insects, that's why the birds migrate here to reproduce. The streams are cold and clear except for glacial water. The air is clean and on a clear day in Anchorage I can see up to 168 miles in several directions of the compass. From May to September fishing is fantastic!

Anchorage is 10 minutes from the bush. We frequently see moose yearlong and bears in the summer. Alaskan's jokingly state we have 2 seasons: winter and road construction. The only place in the US I've seen with worse roads is Maui.

Wonderful place to visit and live in, but don't expect to find a timeshare here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast