Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: SW Florida in January, Plus Resorts on the Beach

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Post 18, which was after the decline had begun, is a good historical reference.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

It's been a long time since anything has been available in SW FL in January, so you would think there would be a premium on those deposits.

We recently purchased a Week One on the beach in plain, yet acceptable, resort.

RCI only gives it 17 Faux Points. Not much for something they can't get anyone to deposit any more.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    It's been a long time since anything has been available in SW FL in January, so you would think there would be a premium on those deposits.

We recently purchased a Week One on the beach in plain, yet acceptable, resort.

RCI only gives it 17 Faux Points. Not much for something they can't get anyone to deposit any more.
    I'm pretty sure RCI assigns TPU based on what they think they can get for something as a rental. I have a Hawaii studio that trades very well in RCI (39 TPU for a summer week). When I deposited recently, the week showed up on their website as a rental not for exchange (at a very high price, imo, but they must be getting it).

From my perspective, I would absolutely trade it for 2 winter weeks in SW Florida, that would be a no-brainer. Somehow I doubt someone who owned 2 such weeks would feel the same way.

That being said, I wonder if they find they have more exchange demand and less rental demand for SW Florida, leading them to systemically undervalue the deposits? It's too bad really, I've been searching for SW FL weeks using that deposit, and haven't seen much.

We might end up doing the northern gulf coast, and then adding a week in Orlando instead.

Under the category of "be careful what you wish for", 25 years ago (during the first Proprietary Era) I suggested to RCI that I'd be willing to give them two weeks for some one week exchanges. Just before Weeks was converted to Faux Points, Inside Guy sent me an email saying I was gonna like what was going to happen.

Sure enough, all our regular exchanges require(d) two deposits. Then, they disappear altogether.

But things have a way to working their way to what should have been to begin with . . . in our case, owning a house where we like to go, which Inside Guy and RCI led us to.

Quote Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
    I've been searching for SW FL weeks using that deposit, and haven't seen much.
    You're new-ish, so here's some history from a really old, annoying guy.

I first visited SW FL (FMB) in the Bicentennial year, 1976, which makes that easy to remember, and loved the area from first visit. Of course, back then it was just Mom and Pop beach motels. The timeshares there started a couple of years later when a guy from Indiana started converting those motels to timeshare. Captran was the name of his company.

DW and I ran a business which took us to Florida during January, so it was a natural for us when we got involved in timeshares. During those Proprietary Days, about all we could ever get was Lehigh Resort Club, which back then was not anywhere near as scary as it is today. It was a nice, quiet town 30 miles from the beach, with golf, and not a very far drive from the Lee Civic Center.

In 1999, on another forum, we supported each other in uncovering the mysteries of RCI by conducting Trading Power tests. In one of them, the best trader was a Spring Break ski week at a lesser CO ski resort where we owned a summer week (since 1992). I acquired the same Spring Break week from the association, and from then on could see everything available on our tests. It was always the Top Trader.

I began a daily search of SW Florida in January, kept records, and documented the highest number of resorts available each month starting at 24 months out. I did that for many years, thousands of searches, and I still have that in Ole POC. I maintained an ongoing thread about it.

LRC (RCI 0101) was not in the Searches because at that time it was in "Inland", not "Southern Gulf". It was added to Southern Gulf when nothing else was ever available, to make it appear that something was available. Today, we would not drive through Lehigh Acres, let alone spend a week there.

Generally speaking, availability peaked at more than 15 resorts, at 14-18 months out. We were able to trade into any quality of resort, any size unit, with a single deposit from resort which came to be known as Slippery Slough.

I also searched "Resorts on the Beach", so was able to document which of the Florida areas were most popular/less available in Snowbird Season. That was SW FL and The Keys. The least popular/most available was The Panhandle and Northern Atlantic.

I documented the decline in availability coinciding with the beginning of Cendant rentals, but was never able to confirm that was the reason.

Inside Guy steered us a bit further north (26 miles from Sanibel as the pelican flies), we started trading in there, and now we live there in the Winter.

What were we talking about?

Thanks for the history of this, I confess to not reading the whole thread.

I'm still thinking about trying to grab availability, presumably via an ongoing search. My wife and I have been to the Tampa/St Pete Beach area, and spent time in MiamI and the Keys, but have not been to SW FL. Now that we have 2 little kids (and still live somewhere with winter) calm water beaches on the Gulf seem pretty attractive.

Maybe we can get something in Oct/Nov 2018. It's definitely harder now that we need a 2 bedroom.

We have stayed in Orlando many times with many stories to tell of Wastegate and OLCC, Northern Atlantic (Ormond Beach and New Smyrna Beach), The Keys (The Galleon) Northern Gulf (Indian Rocks Beach, St. Pete Beach, Reddington Shores), & Southern Gulf (Lehigh, Marco Island, several on FMB like Lahaina Inn, Bonita Beach, Sanibel, and Englewood).

The Ongoing v. Online search controversy dates back to 1997, when you could first book online, but, like one post in that thread says, I always got what we wanted eventually and never had an ongoing search. There's great stories about Midnight Hour, and whatever, and I have one thread about RCI restocking every in the 14 Day Window. I speculated it was rentals that didn't get taken and cancellations.

We cancelled exchanges and "switched" to better resorts several times in the 14-Day Window (when trading power was waived), for another fee, of course. One year for January in SW FL, I did that twice. I also did that twice in the 14-day Window when we went to Kauai.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344