Thread: Timesharing with family....argh!

Timesharing with family....argh!

My daughter made plans to visit Disneyworld in January. She rented a unit from a DVC owner, going M-F.
    I can't take off the whole week, so I exchanged for a Su-Su unit, with the intention of arriving Wed. night.
    Then my son and DIL say that they want to come too. Great, I say. Come Sun - Sun and you can check in to the unit (2BR) without a guest certificate (his name and DH is the same).

Then they tell me that DIL's mother would like to come for a few days. Good, I say, put her in the bedroom that we will have and she can stay Su-Wed.

Then, maybe they would like to stay on site. I put in an OGS telling them that if anything, I will only be able to get a 1BR in Saratoga Springs and only if the TPUs come down to 50 or below to match what I have on deposit. (I'm not paying a combine fee, and no one mentioned reimbursing me ).

Today, son asks me if DVC does not come through, can they get a separate 2BR off site because now maybe DIL's mother may stay longer, and maybe DIL's brother might want to come along.

So...I explain that I won't know about DVC until about a month before (when they discount the TPUs ). If, at that time, it has not come through, I'm sure I can find them something in Orlando because it is a slow week there, but at that stage of the game it will be whatever is available.

No, I can't book something now and then cancel if DVC comes through. It doesn't work like that.

Even after 20+ years of timesharing, they don't have a clue.
    Jacki

Yup, clueless. My daughter said she couldn't go on a trip with us because we didn't give her enough time or maybe too much time. Anyway, I didn't get her a two bedroom unit for the beach this summer and somehow I am the person that messed it up.

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Jacki, the problem is we masters make it look so easy.
    They have NO idea what it takes to get these great exchanges.

So true
    Jacki

I’ve long ago given up. I book a unit, and if i have extra room I will invite them.
    Scott

Jacki, my dh still doesn't get it. He thinks I can just snap my fingers and get the time, and size, unit HE wants.
    Luanne

I don't play travel agent for anyone.

I just say, "This is the location and dates when I'll be at X, if you want to join, be my guest."

That's as far as I go with it these days and it ends all the frustration and flakiness.

My husband doesn't get it either. You have no idea how many units I've cancelled because he's changed his mind. I now just go, and if he wants to come along good if not I'm ok with that too. There's always someone willing to travel!
    “ Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war but on the love of peace. ”

— Herman Wouk

Friends are no better.
    I just had a friend ask me if I can change an exchange for the week after.
    I've had this confirmed exchange for 9 months now and they were positive
    that they would be able to use it.
    Now they can't use it or can only use a few days.

I bought the e-plus so maybe I can do some magic since it's not a DVC
    unit, but still it's a coveted resort and probably won't be able to do the
    e-trade until a week before if it even happens.
    I think I'm done doing exchanges for them.
    They are never going to get it.

I may just end up using it myself.
    Luckily it's local so it's not a total loss but sheesh, they just don't get it
    when you say that it's non-refundable and non-changeable.

So now she keeps calling me every day to see if I can check II and see
    if the re-trade comes thru.

A family member asked me today about our travel plans this winter. They had asked last winter and I had sent them the dates and destinations. So now they are thinking they might want to go. All I can do is check availability but I already know things are booked up.