Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dive Doctor said NO

Dive Doctor said NO

Some of you might have heard that I had a heart attack with no real symptoms until 30 hours later. The 30 hours cost me 20% of my heart. I did rehab and everything I could to get to where I am which seems pretty good overall.

Today I talked to the dive doctor. Because of the loss of heart tissue he recommends no diving but said he would sign off because I am in the grey area. If I didn't have the heart damage he would have signed off because everything else looks good. He did bring up that in some places like Australia I would not be able to dive if I revealed my heart damage.

So I guess Im selling my newer Auqalung gear. If I can get half of what I paid I will break even because of the Hawaii and Mexico dives.

Back to fishing. I think Im going to chase tuna this October in the Sea of Cortez.

Bill

Bill, be careful not to push things too hard- it comes with aging and problems. You're not a young whipper snapper any more.

Boy do I know how you feel. I have been so sick for the last 2 years and they still have no idea why I can't breathe
    I still have a fib even after an ablation and a pace maker. My arteries are not blocked tho, they did a heart cath last week,
    Damn I hate getting old.

Super Moderator Glitter Brunello's Avatar
    So sorry to hear, I know how much you love diving.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Bill, be careful not to push things too hard- it comes with aging and problems. You're not a young whipper snapper any more.
    That is for sure. Im finding that getting older is the end to many of my adrenaline junky adventures that I am very grateful to have had. No more scuba, snowmobiling, mountain climbing, wood cutting and occasional binge drinking. I did manage to re-stain the deck this year. I started in May and finished yesterday. It is a big deck that requires scaffolding.

Currently, I am kind of concerned about this next trip to Loreto Mexico in October. There really isn't any medical services where I am going. The doc ok'ed me to travel so Im good with that. The tuna should be in area so I might go fishing. My other trips are Hawaii and Nuevo Vallarta planned for this winter and Im not concerned at all about these trips.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Boy do I know how you feel. I have been so sick for the last 2 years and they still have no idea why I can't breathe
    I still have a fib even after an ablation and a pace maker. My arteries are not blocked tho, they did a heart cath last week,
    Damn I hate getting old.
    Have you tried breathing exercises ? The one I learned many years ago is in style now. Stand and inhale through your nose and count to 3. Then exhale through your mouth for a count of 7. As you get the hang of it try to inhale and arch your back while lifting your arms then try to exhale forcefully by light muscle flexing while lowering your arms. There are other techniques you could find on youtube by searching for power breathing.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
    So sorry to hear, I know how much you love diving.
    Thanks. I was really bummed out as all through my cardiac rehab my goal was some drift diving in Cozumel. I finally get to the point of being able again to find some activities are just great memories. I'm ok with this as I feel very grateful for the experiences I had. I can still snorkel !!!

Bill

I have to do nasal exercises at Lung exercise class. I will try the pool first, but we will see.

Bill I am going to post something that I never did before and only my close family knows. I had a heart attack. I know many people have heart attacks but I consider myself lucky that I have not had another since the first one. I am 56 now and it happened 37 years ago, If you do the math you will see I was only 19. So Bill in this day and age don't let it bother you much take care of yourself and you will make it to 100
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Geez Frank, 19 is pretty young for a heart attack. The heart attack bothers me mostly because of everything it actually ended and the time it takes to get better. I'm certain I will find activities that I like within my abilities.
    Hows the hip ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast