Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Another Factor Facing Timehsaring?

  1. #21
    Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    I think I did them at about the same time. Wastegate made OL look good.
    OLCC was just what is not the West Village, and just the golf villas and clubhouse.

    Wastegate was a clubhouse, swimming pool, Bldgs A & B, a sales tent, and a lot of mud.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

  2. #22
    Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,347
    Wow! We're just a bunch of millennials.

    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Just curious . . . question for everyone/anyone:

    How old were you when you bought your first timeshare?

    For me, 39.
    I was 53

  4. #24
    On my 40th birthday from the developer in Mexico.

  5. #25
    The fact is you do not have to go to the same place every year. There are exchange companies that help with that. You can also swap out with someone else.

  6. #26
    Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by mpumilia View Post
    The fact is you do not have to go to the same place every year. There are exchange companies that help with that. You can also swap out with someone else.
    From Post #1:

    "Not the same resort, not the same week, every year . . . but it's still limited to whatever limit limits it."

    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    It may cost more (or may not), and the money spent is money gone, like renting a house rather than buying, but the consumer gets what they want with no ongoing obligation.
    Despite the lying salespeople, timeshares have *never* been an investment like buying a house. They've always been essentially pre-paid vacations at (hopefully) a good rate and a resort you like. Some people manage to make money off of them, but the percentage of people making a profit never justified seeing timshares as a profit making venture.

    Your ultimate free choice will always cost more than timeshares; timeshares have always been aimed at those who will accept certain limitations in exchange for cheaper deals. Timeshares are a cheaper option for the same reason airlines generally charge less further out; your commitment ahead of time has monetary worth to the seller.

    Quote Originally Posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
    Diamond is very concerned about millenials. So concerned that they are adapting their sales strategies. They've increased pricing about five-fold. Created super-elite membership levers, where it costs a minimum of $50k to become one of the preferred members with the perks that they have concluded the millenials wants.
    Bluegreen hasn't gone that far, but they're definitely making a push toward luxury for higher points.

    I believe better buy back systems (why, yes, I do love alliteration), and more temporary-type ownerships are both on the way.


    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    How old were you when you bought your first timeshare?
    48 for the Sampler (one year's worth of points), 49 for the resale points. We'd have bought in earlier if we'd known about points systems; weeks systems were too inflexible to interest us.

  8. #28
    I always looked at our timeshare as a second home- a place we share with other owners. A place to make memories each year. I love having a prime week (plus an off-season floater) in a unit that we chose. Exchanging was always secondary to us and we did exchange our floater week a lot when our son was in school and we saw a lot of the country that way. But we never traded our fixed summer week except for once because we love it there so much. And we can drive to it (and it is a pleasant drive)- not tied to airfare.We rent other peoples timeshares when we want to go to other places or directly from resorts or hotels. To us it is like some people's summer homes, or camps, etc. that they go to every year. We are very lucky to have it all these 17 years. Now we have another we got for free and it is just 2 hours from our original one (but in another state) so we have 2 consecutive weeks in the summer. It is also only 30 minutes from where our only child lives and where we hope to retire someday.

    As for points, I never had any interest. I am not traveling far just for a short stay and I like the simplicity of weeks. We just show up for our week. No having to reserve our own week. If we aren't going to use it we exchange it (through independent exchange companies with free memberships).

  9. #29
    We just traded into The Rushes in Door county, WI. We attended the welcome party, and were one of two exchangers that week. Some owners have ten weeks or more; it is their second home. I was surprised at the number who were original owners or children of original owners. This is a stand alone timeshare, and even the off season weeks have some resale value. I have been exchanging here every year for a few years, but won't buy in because we are closer to the end of our traveling days.

  10. #30
    Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by mpumilia View Post
    I always looked at our timeshare as a second home- a place we share with other owners. A place to make memories each year. I love having a prime week (plus an off-season floater) in a unit that we chose. Exchanging was always secondary to us and we did exchange our floater week a lot when our son was in school and we saw a lot of the country that way. But we never traded our fixed summer week except for once because we love it there so much. And we can drive to it (and it is a pleasant drive)- not tied to airfare.We rent other peoples timeshares when we want to go to other places or directly from resorts or hotels. To us it is like some people's summer homes, or camps, etc. that they go to every year. We are very lucky to have it all these 17 years. Now we have another we got for free and it is just 2 hours from our original one (but in another state) so we have 2 consecutive weeks in the summer. It is also only 30 minutes from where our only child lives and where we hope to retire someday.

    As for points, I never had any interest. I am not traveling far just for a short stay and I like the simplicity of weeks. We just show up for our week. No having to reserve our own week. If we aren't going to use it we exchange it (through independent exchange companies with free memberships).
    Where and when do you own?
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •