Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much time to you allow before your flight at airport

our friends just called and now want to leave at 4:30 for the ten minute ride to the airport for a 7:30 flight.

Is Fort Myers a big airport? We just took a trip where we went through Newark (big, and security was a mess and United emailed us to add an hour to whatever time we thought it would take us to get through security), O'Hare (big, but security was pretty orderly and moved along), and Des Moines (small and an hour ahead of boarding worked just fine).

Fort Myers is small, most people allow one hour, I think my friend needs some Valium, she stresses out so much when she travels.

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackio View Post
    The last 2 times I traveled from our small regional airport (Islip MacArthur), I got there 90 minutes early and the TSA lines were crazy. It took me an hour to get through. The Pre-check line was not open. You used to be able to arrive an hour before the flight and have no problem. Each time there was only one conveyor belt open. I don't know if they are trying to cut staff to save money, but next week when I fly to Orlando on our spring break, I will arrive about 2 hours early.
    You are also flying on LI Spring break week. I would definitely arrive 2+ hours ahead to ISP.
    Have a nice trip.

what is LI?

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapmarks View Post
    what is LI?
    Isp (Islip, NY) is on Long Island.

3:53 am, getting ready to go pick up friends, they have pre approval but still feel three hours early is necessary at a small regional airport.

Quote Originally Posted by rapmarks View Post
    3:53 am, getting ready to go pick up friends, they have pre approval but still feel three hours early is necessary at a small regional airport.
    Have them check when things open up at the airport.

Dh and I had a 6 a.m. flight out of Vancouver. We had been advised by United to allow plenty of time, and we also knew would be going through Customs in Vancouver. We got there so early that the United counter wasn't open for check in. Once they finally opened and we got our luggage tags we discovered the baggage drop off wasn't open. We waited another 45 minutes. Then we go through Global Entry and have to wait for the Customs agents to get there and open up. Hurry up and wait, wait, wait.
    Luanne

we are back home, and they called while we were driving they had already checked their bags, and gone through check in, and were waiting at the gate, only had another two and a half hours til boarding. there were about ten cars dropping off people.

Malibu Beach Barbie & A Super Moderator lawren2's Avatar
    You are a good friend. I would have told them to take a car service.
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast