Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's the angle on this scam acoming?

My guess is that it will discourage phone contact (making tracing the location of the con more difficult) and perhaps make targets more sympathetic. It seems to be counter productive once the news gets out tho.

Expect blind and wheelchair identities to come.

I think the hearing impaired thing might prevent you from directly talking to the person making the offer since he's probably just in a boiler room somewhere.

Super Moderator Glitter Brunello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buzglyd View Post
    I think the hearing impaired thing might prevent you from directly talking to the person making the offer since he's probably just in a boiler room somewhere.
    Also prevents providing a phone number, which could be traced.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyHoover View Post
    I have received the identical offer through an ad on the same site. As soon as the hearing impaired First Am message came through I told them I could not proceed and refused any further interaction. Several OY have played along further and received the fake check. I wouldn't play along enough to send additional personal information that can be used for who knows what.
    Yeah - I dropped it at the point where I would have had to send a physical address to receive the check. Didn't want to do that. I had a PO Box or a drop box at a UPS store I might have kept it going awhile longer.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

They never want to put fake checks through the mail, they love to use DHL and drop it at the door.
    I have received a couple checks this way.
    Don

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/kit_014.html
    - - - - - -
    Timely, my boating magazine this month has an article about check scams. In the example given, the "Buyer" sends extra money by fake certified check or money order, the extra to be sent by the buyer to a "shipper", who will pick up and deliver the boat. Of course, that is typically a significant sum.

The red flag is that the "buyer" is not concerned about what they are buying; they are only concerned about the seller sending money to the shipper.

The article mentions that it may be a month before the "Seller" is asked to make good on the "Buyer's" bad check.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12