Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best places to go to get one bedroom hotels or resorts???

I have a Marriott credit card and we usually try to stay in Residence Inns with a 1br if we want to go somewhere that does not have timeshares or easy apartment rentals. Most Residence Inns have true 1brs (that is, there is a door to the bedroom and the living room is separated by a wall) with limited kitchens, including a full refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, microwave, and 2-burner stovetop.

Fairfield Inns and TownePlace Suites sometimes have true 1brs also. Springhill Suites do not have true suites--no kitchen and there's just a room divider between the sleeping area and the sofa area.

Maybe others will weigh in on which other hotel chains have true 1brs.

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymother View Post
    I have a Marriott credit card and we usually try to stay in Residence Inns with a 1br if we want to go somewhere that does not have timeshares or easy apartment rentals. Most Residence Inns have true 1brs (that is, there is a door to the bedroom and the living room is separated by a wall) with limited kitchens, including a full refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, microwave, and 2-burner stovetop.

Fairfield Inns and TownePlace Suites sometimes have true 1brs also. Springhill Suites do not have true suites--no kitchen and there's just a room divider between the sleeping area and the sofa area.

Maybe others will weigh in on which other hotel chains have true 1brs.
    Wow! I didn't think to think back that far, but, yes, when I/we traveled on business 100-plus days a year, Residence Inn was on top of the list, normally through the Entertainment book. We also occasionally stayed at one of the "extended stay" types of motels. Even when searching for something to fill in before/after/in-between timeshares, we would look for the type of place.

There is a plethora of that type of hotel/motel now.

As said before, on hotwire now.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

So you would sell JLB???

Yes, just about everyone here, well, the handful that hang out here and chum around, would sell JLB.

Sure. knowing what I now know, if I could have sold when I could have sold, I would have sold.

What good is $3000/year for something we can't use?

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...ght=tourniquet

But, only you are you. Since you are in RCI, go look and see if the Extra Vacations and Last Calls are to places you want to go. Then there's the highly-secret Nightly Stays, which semi-transparency has not brought forward from the Dark Ages.

If you sold, and then missed owning ???? , I bet you could again for less.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

It took me awhile to recover from my laughing fit before putting that last reply together. But I'm OK, I didn't hurt anything I use regularly.

Oh, yeah. No comma. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Oh, yeah. No comma. My bad.
    That's OK, the best humor is unintended.

If your question is whether you can vacation affordably and not own a timeshare, the answer, of course, is of course.

If your spouse will not stay in less than a 1 br and has to be high end, you might want to keep the timeshare.

Sure, you can rent, but in my experience, it's a lot more work than exchanging or doing a trade with another owner. It's not likely that rent will be less than your maint fees (would you rent for less than you have to pay each year?) but the obligation is gone.

No matter what you do, it will be a compromise.

I have gotten spoiled on being exactly where I want to stay, so we use a mix of hotels and timeshares and travel about 8 months a year.
    We have stayed at Marriott Executive Suites sometimes when we are out of the USA and have been VREY happy. We are heading to Bahrain on December 8th and staying at a Marriott Residence Inn including complimedntary breakfast. When we went to Dubai I had booked the Marriott Courtyard, and was upgraded to a 1 bedroom unit that had a fully equipped kitchen. I have high status on IHG, Marriott, Hilton, Club Carlson and Best Western, and because of this we get some VERY nice upgrades especially in the Middle East and Europe. This is all on the hotel side of traveling. I have gotten VERY spoiled with daily maid service, clean towels every day, extremely nice upgrades and COMPLIMENTARY breakfast internet , etc. In the Middle East we constantly receive fantastic upgrades into huge units in hotels. The breakfasts over there are jawdropping! Yes, I am WAAAYYYY spoiled LOL! We stlll use timeshares for some places but trust me when its just us 2 , hotels are great. And I LOVE being directly in Budapest, London, Rome, Prague, Florence, Chesky Krumlov, Istanbul, the countryside in Bavaia etc, etc, etc

If a person is an RCI member, selling their timeshare does not relegate them to decrepit vacation accommodations. It's not a matter of having to give up timeshares; just a matter of economics, doing the same thing another way, for less.

In the window that I can see right now, there are approximately 59000 Extra Vacations and Last Calls. $7000 would go a long way in renting those, a long, long way if it were Last Calls, not to mention that the savings from maintenance fees no longer being paid would pay most, and perhaps all, of the rental fees.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast