Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in New Orleans

we took a lot of greyline tours, we did the city tour, the boat tour, the garden district tour, and the cemetery tour, and also an all day plantations tour. we also visited the battlefields of the War of 1812. we walked all over the french quarter, and went to church at the cathedral, we went to the World War II museum, and rode the streetcars and trolleys too, and also took the boat to Algiers. Now I think back we must have been awfully tired.

Some obscure & weird things to see & do in NOLA.
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/search?u...source=desktop
    The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all or cannot do so well for themselves”- Lincoln

Keep in mind that if you have a large party in fact. Even a not so large party. My Limo guy is cheaper than those tours. He can take you to many of the attractions like a Cementery, Swamp (You still need a Ticket but you get there in comfort), plantation tour, Lunch or dinner outside the Quarter.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

I'm doing some field work near Monroe this spring. We finish up on Friday, too late for me to catch a flight out that night. Overall, it's a lot cheaper for me to fly in out of MSY and drive to the job site. And since I can fly direct from SEA to MSY, the travel time is pretty much the same. My flight out of MSY on Saturday doesn't leave until 6 pm, so I'm planning to spend Saturday night in New Orleans, and pass the time until mid-afternoon in the area.

I'm looking for some suggestions of what might be a good idea to in that brief amount of time. I've never spent any time in New Orleans, so everything is new for me.

I'm also interested in suggestions for a place to spend that Friday night, bearing in mind that I probably won't arrive until about 9 pm, that I will have a rental car and will be driving in unfamiliar territory, and after three long days of field work I likely will not be up for spending time out and about that night.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Quote Originally Posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
    I'm doing some field work near Monroe this spring. We finish up on Friday, too late for me to catch a flight out that night. Overall, it's a lot cheaper for me to fly in out of MSY and drive to the job site. And since I can fly direct from SEA to MSY, the travel time is pretty much the same. My flight out of MSY on Saturday doesn't leave until 6 pm, so I'm planning to spend Saturday night in New Orleans, and pass the time until mid-afternoon in the area.

I'm looking for some suggestions of what might be a good idea to in that brief amount of time. I've never spent any time in New Orleans, so everything is new for me.

I'm also interested in suggestions for a place to spend that Friday night, bearing in mind that I probably won't arrive until about 9 pm, that I will have a rental car and will be driving in unfamiliar territory, and after three long days of field work I likely will not be up for spending time out and about that night.
    ?

Why are you renting a car there? Can you get away with Taxi or cable cars? You can book at the quarterhouse per night. I can try to get you a discount. The Monte Leon has internet deals from time to time at $99 a night not a standard room. You can try to bid at Priceline,

Quote Originally Posted by bigfrank View Post
    ?

Why are you renting a car there? Can you get away with Taxi or cable cars? You can book at the quarterhouse per night. I can try to get you a discount. The Monte Leon has internet deals from time to time at $99 a night not a standard room. You can try to bid at Priceline,
    I'm renting a car to get from MSY to the job site near Monroe. And even if I flew into Monroe I would still need to rent car for my site work. So having a rental car is pretty much a sunk cost. I also wouldn't save any money on the car rental by dropping the rental car at the airport on my return from Monroe, since by that time I would have already bought the next day of rental charges. I'm certainly open to leaving the car at a convenient location (such as a parking lot) and taking some other form of transit, but again I'm not sure logistically what would work.

I'm certainly open to bidding on PL, but I'm not sure what zones I should be bidding for.

From the little bit of research that I've done, I'm thinking that the Garden District might be a good locale for a hotel. I enjoy old homes, and it seems as I could get a streetcar on St. Charles that would get me to the French Quarter for $1.25. Prices look good, and Hotwire is showing a 3* for $108 with free parking.
    Last edited by T. R. Oglodyte; 01-12-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Quote Originally Posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
    I'm renting a car to get from MSY to the job site near Monroe. And even if I flew into Monroe I would still need to rent car for my site work. So having a rental car is pretty much a sunk cost. I also wouldn't save any money on the car rental by dropping the rental car at the airport on my return from Monroe, since by that time I would have already bought the next day of rental charges. I'm certainly open to leaving the car at a convenient location (such as a parking lot) and taking some other form of transit, but again I'm not sure logistically what would work.

I'm certainly open to bidding on PL, but I'm not sure what zones I should be bidding for.

From the little bit of research that I've done, I'm thinking that the Garden District might be a good locale for a hotel. I enjoy old homes, and it seems as I could get a streetcar on St. Charles that would get me to the French Quarter for $1.25. Prices look good, and Hotwire is showing a 3* for $108 with free parking.
    if you do not have much time you should stay in the French Quarter. You may get it for$65 a night

I agree, especially for the first trip, but my favorite is at JW Marriott on Canel (a bit less crazy but have good access to the French Quarter or the Hilton Riverside (on the river bank, a few blocks from FQ, close to Cafe Du Monde).

Lisa, we stayed there for 2 nights years ago and loved it. I love how they served the maple syrup in individual tiny jars. It was also very conveniently located for walking all over the French Quarter. Got it for $45 per room on priceline.
    Syd

Frank, what is the price of limo vs cab from airport to French Quarter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast