Ebates Coupons and Cash Back
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Roadmap to Great. Vacations...NOT! What was Corporate Bluegreen thinking???

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskre View Post
    Maybe since you didn't get a notice it doesn't apply to you.
    I did not get the email because I currently do not have over 10 resies at one resort.
    I did in April-July, bit not right now.

"But in the past year I have acquired 3 new deeds for 3 weeks in a Thursday checkin at La Cabana…and since they are counting your resies PLUS your wait list as "10" I will have problems with getting my time."

GrayFal,

They do include your deeded weeks, bonus time, and any other reservations in the same region as counting toward the limit.

I can't confirm the deeded week thing personally but that is what people on Bluegreen Forum on Yahoo are reporting. In other words, if you had 12 deeded weeks at La Cabana, under this rule you could not take your priority on all of them.

I tried to book bonus time a few days ago at Big Cedar and got the error message about having more than 10.

In the interest of transparency, I do currently have more than 10 at Big Cedar; I have a group of families traveling with me in March, plus we have several short personal use reservations and some "low impact" rental reservations. (low impact = non peak times in regular lodges; no cabins, no summer reservations). These non-peak reservations are treated exactly the same as someone who has 10 weeks of reservations in 2 or 3 bedroom cabins.

Despite the fact that I have more than 10 reservations, I have not received any communication from Bluegreen. I only know about this because I tried to make that bonus time reservation and then went hunting on the various timeshare boards to find out what was up.

Anita
    Last edited by akparsa; 09-08-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added quote

Quote Originally Posted by akparsa View Post
    "But in the past year I have acquired 3 new deeds for 3 weeks in a Thursday checkin at La Cabana…and since they are counting your resies PLUS your wait list as "10" I will have problems with getting my time."

GrayFal,

They do include your deeded weeks, bonus time, and any other reservations in the same region as counting toward the limit.

I can't confirm the deeded week thing personally but that is what people on Bluegreen Forum on Yahoo are reporting. In other words, if you had 12 deeded weeks at La Cabana, under this rule you could not take your priority on all of them.

I tried to book bonus time a few days ago at Big Cedar and got the error message about having more than 10.

In the interest of transparency, I do currently have more than 10 at Big Cedar; I have a group of families traveling with me in March, plus we have several short personal use reservations and some "low impact" rental reservations. (low impact = non peak times in regular lodges; no cabins, no summer reservations). These non-peak reservations are treated exactly the same as someone who has 10 weeks of reservations in 2 or 3 bedroom cabins.

Despite the fact that I have more than 10 reservations, I have not received any communication from Bluegreen. I only know about this because I tried to make that bonus time reservation and then went hunting on the various timeshare boards to find out what was up.

Anita
    From what I have read on the yahoo group as well, they WILL be canceling your reservations over 10 after a certain date.

There are a lot of people scrabbling to decide what to keep and what to ask friends to rebook for them.

What a mess.

Oops! This site is currently down for maintenance. We'll be back online soon.

The message I just got while trying to log into the Bluegreen website.

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    OK, having let this grow on me, and understanding the desire of these types of companies to limit timesharing to personal, non-commercial use, it seems like in most cases more than 10 reservations would be an indication of commercial usage. For most people 10 reservation for the next two years would be a lot.

Now, if they had way to make exceptions, say for those like Ray Harper, who had 26 reservations for themselves each year, I can understand their attempt to stifle the commercial usage. When Big Cedar first opened, it was a long time before there was exchange availability, and in the meantime it was being offered by BG owners on craigslist.

As we all have learned, when stuff is limited, it has more value, but when it is made available to everyone, en masse, that cheapens it. RCI would know that, for instance.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

I dont know what to think of this. I can see someone who does alot of personal timesharing being hurt by this. I usually have 5 or less ressies at anyone time. Perhaps a good compromise would be to limit the amount of non-owner ressies to 5 or 10 at one time?

A search of sites through the Internet appears to indicate that you are actually using your Vacation Points to conduct a rental business by means of booking timeshare units in advance and then offering them to customers for vacations and business travel.

Such business activities as mentioned above are in direct contradiction to the personal usage nature of the Bluegreen Vacation Club product that you own. Further, these activities have a substantial adverse effect on the other Bluegreen Vacation Club owners who are seeking to make reservations for their own personal use by removing possible inventory from the reservation pool that would otherwise be available to them for reservations.

- - - - - -
    I received a similar letter from RCI several years ago. The result was they closed my accounts and cancelled my exchanges. I don't think there is any prohibition to renting the property you OWN, only using your points EXCHANGED for another property is a problem.
    - - - - - -
    However, I ran across this operation last week, and for the first time found myself wishing there were some limitation on renting. The breadth of this took my breath away. I don't mean to be hypocritical since I've rented myself, and I am not sure yet how I would want to see this working, but sheesh, this is too much!

http://stores.ebay.com/bigcedarwildernesslodgetravel

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188462
    - - - - - -
    Anyone who's been around timesharing any amount of time knows that owners jacking around with it will lead to repercussions. Yeah, I know, the companies can do the same things, and on massive scale, but not the owners.
    Last edited by JLB; 09-09-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Traveller View Post
    I dont know what to think of this. I can see someone who does alot of personal timesharing being hurt by this. I usually have 5 or less ressies at anyone time. Perhaps a good compromise would be to limit the amount of non-owner ressies to 5 or 10 at one time?
    Here's my issue.
    It is 10 reservations or 'pending' reservations.

So I have 4 weeks/4 reservations booked in January 2015 at La Cabana. One of the weeks, I have a second unit as my DD is joining me.
    And another week I have a second unit as another friend is joining me.
    La Cabana has very few 2BR units so I need to book a studio and a 1BR to accommodate my family. Each takes up one reservation….if they had 2BR units i would have fewer reservations.
    So I have 5-7 reservations for January 2015.
    As a Platinum member, I can wait list for my January 2016 resies at 15 months or Oct 2015….but wait, I can no longer do this as a wait list request is considered one reservation so I can only wait list for 3 weeks not the 6-7 weeks I need until I have passed the date of those reservations.

The Mega Renters do book ahead but they also do a lot of closer in resies as well.

If they are trying to hurt the Mega renters I imagine they are but they will find a work around.

It is their Platinum level owners who are really hurt by this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFal View Post
    The Mega Renters do book ahead but they also do a lot of closer in resies as well.

If they are trying to hurt the Mega renters I imagine they are but they will find a work around.
    In my humble experience, it is the very existence of statements like this that prompt the companies to take a no tolerance position. Ask those who have had their reservations canceled and accounts closed what recourse they had.

Welcome to the underbelly of timesharing.

I suspect they're mostly after the guys renting out Big Cedar points, since an amazing percentage of people who gripe about BG expected to use their points at Big Cedar and Big Cedar only. Certainly a lot of people in the yahoo group have been agitating about mega renters for some time; if they've been lobbying BG the way they've been lobbying the group, then I'm not surprised BG decided to try to do something.

What surprised me is that they seem not to have grandfathered this in the sense of saying, "in the future, you will not be able to have more than 10 reservations...". People would still be unhappy about the ten reservation limit, but it'd be easier to adapt if it didn't mean cancelling reservations already made. Plus people are getting conflicting information right and left.

I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the 10 reservations limit on megarenters (not that I have any better suggestions), but I'm particularly annoyed at how it was implemented. The new rule doesn't have any direct impact on me, and I accept that rules can be changed, but the fact that they're effectively not honoring reservations already made in good faith is bad, and the fact that they can't even seem to clearly communicate what they've changed or what they're asking of people is ridiculous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast