Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Countries for Solo Travelers

Best Countries for Solo Travelers

Taking off on a journey alone? Have no fear. Here are the safest, friendliest countries for your solo adventure......

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...solo-travelers

I was a little surprised to see Costa Rica as #1.
    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

And Vietnam as #2?
    I'm not sure I agree with their list.
    At least not for women. Maybe for men.

When I was single I like to go where there were lots of single women, and Nassau was the tops there. Of course, cruising was not so popular then, and many single women did package deals with air tickets and hotels combined. Now most of those single women would be on cruise ships, so that would be the place for single men to try.

As to travelling for sightseeing, I would say that most of Europe would fit the bill of being safe and easy to navigate.

Yeah Europe and Cruising would be safe IMO for a single women unless you believe that movie "Taken" is based in reality,
    then maybe if you are a young pretty woman it might not so safe for you.

Of course there is always EPCOT.

I've got a few issues with the description of Malaysia which is ranked as number 4. I love Malaysia, it has the best food in the whole world IMO and most of Peninsula Malaysia would be a good destination for solo travellers.

Avoid overland border crossings to and from Malaysia at the Thai provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla, they have been unsafe for as long as I can remember (bombs, explosives, arson, drive-by shootings). Fly over that border. I've been wanting to get to the dive sites of Sabah (east Malaysia) for over 10 years and it hasn't ever been safe (ongoing threat of kidnapping by militant and criminal groups based in the southern Philippines and violence linked to insurgency and terrorists. The kidnapping threat in eastern Sabah includes dive sites and associated tourist facilities.) The last tourist murder and kidnapping was a couple of months ago.
    Check your government travel alerts.

Travelling alone is Europe is for sure really safe. East Asia also, and India, but in India you need a man just socially..

Huh? When I pulled it up New Zealand was number 1. Ooops, just realized this was originally posted in 2014. I guess things change.
    Luanne

Travelling solo is such a great experience. My partner works a lot, we've got quite different priorities - he's more focused on his career and likes to go away, we have a timeshare in France, and we travel, but not for long periods and always in a structured way. I'm content to just work, save, and see as much of the world as I can while I can. I've traveled a lot and definitely have the travel bug! He worries when I go away but we always discuss where I'm going and when, I do the same with my family. Nowadays you can keep in touch via Skype anyway - though I don't really like that becuase.. part of the attraction of going away is that you're away! And no one can contact you. I don't want people to be able to tell me about mundane things when I'm on the road lol. But this time - I'm in the process of preparing my next trip, I'm going to blog about it daily. I think it will be a nice challenge for me and that way my partner and I can keep in touch, he can see what I write everyday. The only thing is I was wondering if there are any other travel bloggers out there who have done something similar? I was going to just take an iPad.. wordpress is normally a good one for this sort of thing, but evernote is good too I think. Anyone know anything? I think wordpress blog hosting is more traditional - I was looking at this (commercial link removed), it's not self hosting which I think would probably be better since I don't want anyone to worry about me.. Well anyway, if anyone has ever done this I would love to read your blogs or get some advice! I'm sure there's logistical things I'm missing.
    Last edited by tonyg; 04-24-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: remove commercial link for web hostimg

What's wrong with the US?

Quote Originally Posted by mpumilia View Post
    What's wrong with the US?
    Apparently single Travel & Leisure readers want to go abroad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast