Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling Bluegreen Points Timeshare

Industry Representative ConsumerProtectionLawyer's Avatar

How to Cancel a Timeshare that's unwanted

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    CPL: Are you still here?
    Absolutely, I'm here!

I do apologize for missing the prior question that was: "Any other way to get rid of unwanted timeshares, after you have tried the resort(s), internet forums, craigslist, etc., offering them for free, for two years?"

My answer is that you may need a Timeshare Divestment Attorney (or some other "reliable" "trustworthy" service with NO UPFRONT FEES!!). There are very few attorneys who work without substantial retainer fees (typical for lawyers), and fewer still non-attorney services that don't want many thousands upfront, and then you hope they: (1) can actually get people out (i.e. competency), and (2) are not a total scam that collects fees and never gets anyone out (i.e. fraud).

Save yourself from the incompetency and fraud scams, by researching a Timeshare Lawyer's service that has real attorneys who directly handle (1-on-1) every aspect of your case (not an 800# telemarketer fronting for a supposed lawyer in the background). If you have paid many thousands to own a timeshare and can't recoup a penny, you may want a good lawyer to evaluate [for free] whether I have a good case for timeshare divestment. An excellent way to assure this is a safe & secure process, is to have the lawyer get the resort (vacation club) to agree to let you out first, then collect a "contingency fee" (this means you get out of the timeshare ownership and all related obligations fully, BEFORE, the fee is earned).

John Phillip Abrams
    Consumer Protection Attorney
    Timeshare Divestment Attorney

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by ConsumerProtectionLawyer View Post
    Absolutely, I'm here!

I do apologize for missing the prior question that was: "Any other way to get rid of unwanted timeshares, after you have tried the resort(s), internet forums, craigslist, etc., offering them for free, for two years?"

My answer is that you may need a Timeshare Divestment Attorney (or some other "reliable" "trustworthy" service with NO UPFRONT FEES!!). There are very few attorneys who work without substantial retainer fees (typical for lawyers), and fewer still non-attorney services that don't want many thousands upfront, and then you hope they: (1) can actually get people out (i.e. competency), and (2) are not a total scam that collects fees and never gets anyone out (i.e. fraud).

Save yourself from the incompetency and fraud scams, by researching a Timeshare Lawyer's service that has real attorneys who directly handle (1-on-1) every aspect of your case (not an 800# telemarketer fronting for a supposed lawyer in the background). If you have paid many thousands to own a timeshare and can't recoup a penny, you may want a good lawyer to evaluate [for free] whether I have a good case for timeshare divestment. An excellent way to assure this is a safe & secure process, is to have the lawyer get the resort (vacation club) to agree to let you out first, then collect a "contingency fee" (this means you get out of the timeshare ownership and all related obligations fully, BEFORE, the fee is earned).

John Phillip Abrams
    Timeshare Divestment Attorney
    Who?

Where?

How?

Sounds expensive.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Who?

Where?

How?

Sounds expensive.
    Who Is John Abrams

Where is Here

How is a Donation to the site.

Sounds Expensive Yes it was.

John thank you for your very kind donation to the site.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

OK, so I had already gone to his site, studied his background, etc. I have always been interested in consumer protection and a fan of those who are. iut was intended by my mentors that I go to law school, and that's probably where I would have wound up, fighting for the little person, those who can so easily be trod upon.

But, Johns' response here was confusing, since it did not say something like, "Contact me."

So, John, do you use an attorney in the area of the client, or their timeshare, to work with the client?

& did I see that the initial consultation is complimentary, free, or did I imagine that?

I saw wording that suggests you try to keep the fees low. Is that something you discuss during nor after the consultation? I noticed there is a contingency after getting rid of the timeshare. I understand "contingency", but also know that in most cases where the fee is that way, the client still pays for expenses. So?

I've been following this "forum" since the beginning, or close to, and just trying to figure it out, whether it is an "advice" forum as the wording suggests or a solicitation for clients, either of which is fine.

As most here know, DW and I have been timesharing for 25 years and have six weeks, five of which we do not use, except to try to recoup our annual fees.

In an other thread, "Fine Kettle of Fish", I have talked about how one of them has done absolutely nothing to keep owners informed about Escapes! folding, our resort suing them, and Festiva constantly contacting owners as if we are now a part of them. No emails, no letters, no communication of any sort, until, I guess prompted by me, they sent out a vague letter with no letterhead, and a mention a marketing company dealing with resales.

The letter created more questions than it answered, so I contacted them one more time, my asking form information having gone on for a year, me seeming to be the only person "bugging" them. That got a nasty phone call from the head lady on the Board who said, "You wanna pay for that sorta stuff, contacting and informing owners, or maintaining a website. We have annual meetings where we make all that available. Come to it." "How many owners are there and how many came to this year's meeting?" "6000. 14."

So, the official position is we don't tell you anything, we don't care if you know anything, but our resort is doing just fine, except for people like you."

They don't take deedbacks, but have a marketing company a google search does not find that "handles Association-owned weeks."

The complication with this resort is that it is local, one where we own for golf course membership, so I know everyone there. We wanna keep one week, and get rid of two, but I really don't want everyone pissed at me (although it's probably too late for that).

it's in Missouri, and a Gold Crown with RCI.

As for our other resort, we own three weeks there, they are very friendly, helpful, keep us informed and have a website. They have employees that answer emails in a timely fashion, and take care of whatever needs taking care of. They also have a rental program we have used several time to recoup some of our fees. I have maintained friendly correspondence with the IOA president. They also have association-owned weeks (we bought two of ours from the association. But, they don't do deedbacks, and sue those who don't their fess and put a lien on their personal residences.

We have an LLC we could transfer all these to, but . . . I have always been one to fulfill my financial obligations, so negotiating to work things out is more my style.

We, and some here, would like to just be done with timesharing.

Gotta head to the other golf course, and hope it doesn't rain.
    Last edited by JLB; 04-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

OK, so I had already gone to his site, studied his background, etc. I have always been interested in consumer protection and a fan of those who are. iut was intended by my mentors that I go to law school, and that's probably where I would have wound up, fighting for the little person, those who can so easily be trod upon.

But, Johns' response here was confusing, since it did not say something like, "Contact me."

So, John, do you use an attorney in the area of the client, or their timeshare, to work with the client?

& did I see that the initial consultation is complimentary, free, or did I imagine that?

I saw wording that suggests you try to keep the fees low. Is that something you discuss during nor after the consultation? I noticed there is a contingency after getting rid of the timeshare. I understand "contingency", but also know that in most cases where the fee is that way, the client still pays for expenses. So?

I've been following this "forum" since the beginning, or close to, and just trying to figure it out, whether it is an "advice" forum as the wording suggests or a solicitation for clients, either of which is fine... [some text omitted, see the full post above].
    Well JLB thanks for asking: I am both an Advocate and a Service Provider. I am a passionate Timeshare Owners’ Advocate, and that’s why I strongly believe in TimeshareForums.com as an excellent resource for consumers needing straight answers about their timeshare. In fact, on another website in which our consumer protection advocacy is available (TCPAA.org), we have TimeshareForums.com proudly displayed since 2012 on the website’s slider, and additionally have linked to TimeshareForums.com in our only blog on that website (which is also prominently linked front and center in red, as “How to Sell a Timeshare Safely”).

Professionally, I perform timeshare divestment services as well, as my website would indicate (TheAbramsFirm.com). My timeshare divestment practice spans the United States and several other countries with both Consumer Attorneys in my firm and ones we collaborate with. The have been over 2200 owners that I have assisted over the years to get out of their timeshares legally. Most of my Lawyer involvement was pro bono [never charged the owners], but my wife had to finally put her foot down, and at 50+ years old I am finally starting to build a retirement account, so now I charge (less than most, and contingent on performance).

JLB your assumption is right that all initial consultations are free of charge, and I have never taken a credit card over the phone in my life anyway. Consumers are provided all the information that applies to their case, and then they are given the time and space to make up their own decision. It’s a one-way street, and we respect that. The aftermarket industry is full of people who want to rush consumers to make up their mind and pay $3000 - $5000 in upfront fees. I am a Consumer Protection Attorney, and above all, I realize Consumers are at the top of the pyramid. We provide information with transparency for each individual owner, and then all the decisions after that are up to them.

I never have any additional expenses besides a fully disclosed flat fee (different depending on the case). We always seek walkaway deals (no money either side), but exceptions do exist where a resort may demand an exit amount (like an overdue maintenance fee) to be paid in conjunction with a given divestment. According to my easy to follow, large print, 1 page agreement, the owner would have to agree in advance to any extra fee (even a junk fee) to be charged.

In the end, I try to put my money where my mouth is and conduct my divestment service with consumer respect in mind. In short, I am an Advocate through and through, even in the way I provide service.

John Abrams,
    Timeshare Divestment Lawyer

As those here know, I have been doing what I can on my own, resisting getting nasty with our resorts. They have done nothing wrong, except, maybe, for not providing an exit strategy.

In the several years I have been engaging in "self-divestment", unsuccessfully, I have done what I can to minimize our loss. But, it's a pain in the butt to have to expend time and energy on something we no longer need, just to help recoup fees we wish we no longer had.

If I decide to go your route, do I do that via your website?

Thanks.

Getting a Free Consultation is the 1st Step

As those here know, I have been doing what I can on my own, resisting getting nasty with our resorts. They have done nothing wrong, except, maybe, for not providing an exit strategy.

In the several years I have been engaging in "self-divestment", unsuccessfully, I have done what I can to minimize our loss. But, it's a pain in the butt to have to expend time and energy on something we no longer need, just to help recoup fees we wish we no longer had.

If I decide to go your route, do I do that via your website?

Thanks.
    Yes, a request (via email or phone on the website: TheAbramsFirm.com), and my legal assistant will set up a free consultation which is the best place to start to see if this would be appropriate once we delve into the specifics of your case.

Thanks.

I'll mull it over.

It's a shame it has to come to this.

Just to say it, DW and I have paid our obligations to the industry, and derived benefits therefrom for 25 years. IMHO, that's significant, much more than the average person obligates themselves to just about anything.

But, everything comes to an end, and it's a shame that at the end of anything, anyone would have to expend as much energy as I have been the past few years just to try to meet the financial obligation of something that is way past it's usefulness.

We all know there are thousands of other timeshare owners just like DW and me.

It's just a shame that an industry that takes from it's loyal customers the way this one does, and does not even give them an ounce of consideration when this time comes, and, instead, deals with them only with contempt and insults and threats.

The latest example . . . . I agreed to pay fees a year out, and pay the transfer fee, and transfer our weeks to another party at no expense to them, and they backed out . . . and they are onsite selling . . . should tell you the state of the industry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12