Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to unload a timeshare on CNNmoney.com

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    Probably an over simplification but like any realestate thats difficult to sell its just a matter of price. Anything will sell if you price it right
    Yeah, how much are you willing to pay someone to take it. One year's maintenance fee? Two? Three? More?

Love these old threads.

YMMV
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Yeah, how much are you willing to pay someone to take it. One year's maintenance fee? Two? Three? More?

Love these old threads.

YMMV
    Thats exactly right, Its all about the price. and some time the right price is less than nothing

Ive only been on this board a short time, but its my understanding that you have wanted to sell for a long time.. If you are not there yet you will be there sooner or later, where years of mf you have paid exceeds the fee you could have paid to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    Thats exactly right, Its all about the price. and some time the right price is less than nothing

If you are not there yet you will be there sooner or later, where years of mf you have paid exceeds the fee you could have paid to get out.
    I wanted to be free of one of my timeshares, and when I got no takers at free, I had to sweeten the pot by paying the following year's maintenance fee. That was the turning point, and it was taken shortly afterward. I felt it was worth it to save on future years' payments.
    Jacki

My message is simple . . . it should not be that way.

If a person think folks should have to pay to get rid of a timeshare, that's a problem with their thinking.
    - - - - - -
    Another factor, besides price, is time. Just keep trying to get rid of them, and do something while you're stuck with them to cut the loss.

Did I mention Love these old threads?
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Actually. except for those still in Timeshare La La Land, the last couple of years I've noticed how many of the grizzled veterans have reached their end, and become disillusioned, not by timesharing but by lack of an orderly exit strategy, and how more and more are saying about the same thing:

"The bottom line is this: If I can rent a nice hotel suite or condo or even a single family home for less than the fees to maintain a comparable timeshare then the value of that timeshare is I think, less than zero."

P
    Actually. except for those still in Timeshare La La Land, the last couple of years I've noticed how many of the grizzled veterans have reached their end, and become disillusioned, not by timesharing but by lack of an orderly exit strategy, and how more and more are saying about the same thing:

"The bottom line is this: If I can rent a nice hotel suite or condo or even a single family home for less than the fees to maintain a comparable timeshare then the value of that timeshare is I think, less than zero."
    I have seen this thinking also. In my case, our travel ability has changed and I found myself with too many timeshares. I don't want to get into the rental business. I had been letting family members use them. I can't use all my weeks and it wasn't worth it to extend them. I chose the one that was the greatest financial liability to me and tried to give it away using various strategies. The one years maintenance fee was worth it to me to be free of it. So you are right. Although it should not be that way, the value of it to me was less than zero. I'm satisfied with the outcome and am happy with my remaining ones, which I believe all have some value on the resale market.
    Jacki

Yup, it shouldn't be, but owners have been conditioned to what is.

The human animal can be conditioned to have to do bad things, and make it sound like a good thing.

As long as people let themselves get jacked around, those doing the jacking will not stop.

Yup, it shouldn't be, but owners have been conditioned to what is.

The human animal can be conditioned to have to do bad things, and make it sound like a good thing.

As long as people let themselves get jacked around, those doing the jacking will not stop.
    Also, it creates a market for another category of opportunists in the timeshare industry, some scrupulous and some not, but a category that should not be necessary, and that the authorities have deemed to be problematic. In reality, the opportunists exist only because the industry created an opening for them. &, by and large, timeshare owners are fairly gullible.

Timeshare's nattering nabob of negativity strikes again. When you quote yourself in consecutive posts you appear to be a blabbermouth.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Timeshare's nattering nabob of negativity strikes again. When you quote yourself in consecutive posts you appear to be a blabbermouth.
    I was just thinking you were overdue. Every six months or so I like to give you an opportunity to be judgmental. If you notice, I let someone else get the ball rolling, but we can count on you to put me in my place. It would not be right if you didn't.

Per Post 15, not all of the grizzled veterans are beginning to say similar things. There's an exception to everything.

Happy Holidays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast