Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: DRI Points

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by camilleobrien View Post
    Thank you for your input. I am not a Las Vegas holiday person and what I am trying to achieve is 4-6 months at the Ka'anapili Beach Club in Maui. I know if I book 60 days or less the point cost per week goes down to almost half. I have to opportunity to purchase on the resale market 30K points for $3,000.00 plus $200.00 close costs. Is there anywhere where I can get points for less? It seems like the maintenance fee is .1227 per point so 30K in points costs $3,681.00 plus Base fee of $209.00 & Club fee of $299.00. I would like to just take over someones points and pay the close cost and maintenance fee. Is this at all possible. Has anyone heard of this type of pricing?
    Thanks for all you help,
    Camille in Seattle
    Camille, yes those deals are out there. However, you must make sure that you get points that are in DRI's Hawaii Collection. There are only four DRI resorts in that collection. They are The Point at Poipu, Ka'anapali Beach Club, The Sedonna Summit and Polo Towers. If you buy resale understand that you can only use these four resorts in the collection. You cannot use Interval International. When you buy resale points you will not be in the Club unless you buy half of the number of points you buy resale from DRI direct. So if you wanted to bring 30,000 points into the Club to have full access, DRI would require you to buy 15,000 points from them. Finally, you will not have to be the Club fee since you won't be in the Club with a resale. You will not be able to get any of the "perks" of the Club like redeeming points for airlines fees, cruises, tours, etc. So you will save the $299.00.

    The cheapest way buy resale is to go to Redweek, ebay, or Timeshare Users Group and look for resale owners with points in the Hawaii group. Some people are just trying to give them away and you would pay nothing. Just understand the restrictions I gave you above. The other piece that you need to know is that yes, if you wait until 59 days out you can get units for half the points. Understand that there is no guarantee there will be availability at that time especially during peak times during summer or during whale season at the beginning of the year from January until April. I am not saying it's never available because there are times I do see it, but it's not a given and you're talking 4-6 months which is a lot of time. I go to Hawaii quite a bit and to ensure my reservation, I book at 10 months out which is the earliest I can because I belong to the US Collection. So as long as you understand the limitations of resale points and reservations for 60 days out you should be fine. Also, the least amount of points for a room at KBC is 6500 pointd for a 1 bedroom scenic view. So if you were to get it at half points you would need more than 30,000 points for 4-6 months. At half points you would use 3250 points for the one bedroom scenic view. That would give you about 9 weeks/2 months and about 10 days. Also, note that KBC does not have full kitchens in those units. I am not sure if you have been there before or not.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    When you buy resale points you will not be in the Club unless you buy half of the number of points you buy resale from DRI direct. So if you wanted to bring 30,000 points into the Club to have full access, DRI would require you to buy 15,000 points from them.
    This may be your experience or what you were last told. This has not been my experience. I was once told by the COO of DRI that the advertised $2995 THE Club entry fee was always available. That's the amount that they quote and 'waive' when you buy retail. It may take awhile, but supposedly you can get that answer.
    ... not enough time for all the timeshares

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    At half points you would use 3250 points for the one bedroom scenic view. That would give you about 9 weeks/2 months and about 10 days. Also, note that KBC does not have full kitchens in those units. I am not sure if you have been there before or not.
    Getting KBC for half points at under 60 days oot is not something you can expect to get and certainly not for multiple weeks.
    ... not enough time for all the timeshares

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Getting KBC for half points at under 60 days oot is not something you can expect to get and certainly not for multiple weeks.
    I made this clear in in my post. There are no guarantees.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    This may be your experience or what you were last told. This has not been my experience. I was once told by the COO of DRI that the advertised $2995 THE Club entry fee was always available. That's the amount that they quote and 'waive' when you buy retail. It may take awhile, but supposedly you can get that answer.
    What I posted is the new reality. Half the points of what you want to bring in the Club must be bought. This is the new reality.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I made this clear in in my post. There are no guarantees.
    Sure, Carlos, that's what you said, along with all this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Just understand the restrictions I gave you above. The other piece that you need to know is that yes, if you wait until 59 days out you can get units for half the points. Understand that there is no guarantee there will be availability at that time especially during peak times during summer or during whale season at the beginning of the year from January until April. I am not saying it's never available because there are times I do see it, but it's not a given and you're talking 4-6 months which is a lot of time. I go to Hawaii quite a bit and to ensure my reservation, I book at 10 months out which is the earliest I can because I belong to the US Collection. So as long as you understand the limitations of resale points and reservations for 60 days out you should be fine. Also, the least amount of points for a room at KBC is 6500 pointd for a 1 bedroom scenic view. So if you were to get it at half points you would need more than 30,000 points for 4-6 months. At half points you would use 3250 points for the one bedroom scenic view. That would give you about 9 weeks/2 months and about 10 days.
    Then you feed this newbie all sorts of other info that would lead a newbie to believe it possible. It is not really possible, you know that. Cheers!
    ... not enough time for all the timeshares

  7. #17

    Gave the needed information

    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Sure, Carlos, that's what you said, along with all this:


    Then you feed this newbie all sorts of other info that would lead a newbie to believe it possible. It is not really possible, you know that. Cheers!

    I disagree, Spence. I let the newbie know the truth which is very simply not to be able expect 59 day reservations at half points ALL of the time especially over a four to six month span. However, more importantly, they need to know the limitations of buying resale points with DRI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •