Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Cades Cove is the most visited part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Cades Cove Loop is open to auto, bicycle and foot traffic every
    day of the year (from sunup to sundown with a few exceptions)

The Cove is best seen via Cades Cove Loop Road, which is a one way
    paved lane that skirts the bottoms of the forested mountains which surrounds
    the fields of the valley floor. The Loop Road takes Smokies vacationers on a
    historical tour of early pioneer farms, fields, roads and trails, leaving the Smokie's
    visitor with the feeling that they have witnessed something wonderful & wholesome.

http://www.cadescove.net/

Attractions

Black Bear Jamboree Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge, TN

http://www.blackbearjamboree.com/

Discount Show Tickets

http://www.discountshowtickets.com/buytwo.html

Fall visit?

How much does this area "close down" in the Sept./Oct. timeframe? I know lots of areas that are very busy in the summer become ghost towns in the fall.

Sue

October tends to be busier than the summer months - that is the month, along with the first half of November, that the fall leaves are colorful.

It really is a great place. However, it is one of the worst places for timeshare reps. bothering you every 200 yards baiting you to take a tour for free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by falmouth3 View Post
    How much does this area "close down" in the Sept./Oct. timeframe? I know lots of areas that are very busy in the summer become ghost towns in the fall.

Sue
    As mentioned above, mid-Oct to the end of the month is the busiest time of the year. Total gridlock on the highways. September is loaded with harvest festivals and crafty events. Dollywood goes full bore with a bluegrass event in Sept and harvestfest. They shut down for a week right at the end of November, then start up again with the Christmas festivities.

The only off-season in the area is New Years to a week or so before Valentines Day (also big because a gazillion people get married there that week). Even then, the locals have been very crafty about planning events that bring in lots of folks. I've been up there for a kid's band event in Jan with the weather just yucky, and yet the streets were full of folks walking around. Also, Winterfest goes through the end of Feb, so the lights are fun to look at after the Christmas crowds are gone.

Never a ghost town now. 30 years ago, yes, in the winter. Not any more.

Sheila

Dollywood - Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg Tennessee

Any great discount coupons available for
    Dollywood - Day or Seaon Pass - Parking

Dolly Parton's Great Smoky Mountain family Amusement Park

Tennessee Tourist Information 2007

Its been 25 years since we last visited this area

Went to the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville Tennessee

Now we are back in TN and has everything changed

From Interstate I-40 @ Exit 407
    South along the Parkway Route 441
    Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg
    Cross the Great Smoky Mountains
    To Harrahs Cherokee, North Carolina

Nothing looks the same!

Will keep you posted on whats new here in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    Went to the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville Tennessee.
    I was there. LOTS. I was working part time for the restaurant that operated the Budweiser beer garden. I never worked at the fair, but my boss was kind enough to get me an employee pass for unlimited access. My future husband's band played almost daily somewhere on the fairgrounds. No wonder they broke up shortly after the fair ended. They were probably all sick of each other by then.

Lots of fond memories.

Sheila

I too was at the 1982 Worlds Fair for a couple days.

My wife and I will be in Gatlinburg staying at Mountainloft 9/1-9/8. It will be our first time staying there for both of us. I did have a pass-thru visit on the way to Florida in March of 2000... was there for lunch and kept going.
    Bob Johann
    SoundQ SVT

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast