Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware: JRA Closings

Do they have licensed attorneys in the other states that require attorneys to prepare deeds as well?

Diamond Club Contributor rikkis_playpen's Avatar
    ... I've only worked with Janet a few times when buyers have specifically requested JRA, but with those transactions I found her to be highly knowledgeable and competent for Florida closings. Also, at the time I had verified the use of a separate escrow account. (Some companies will only have one bank account and commingle escrowed funds with general operating funds, which can lead to issues). I don't believe I have used this company in 2012- so my info may no longer be accurate. However, based on past experience I wouldn't hesitate to use them for a Florida closing if a buyer requested their service.
    my travel website: Vacation-Times.org.

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking."
    ~Earl Wilson

I used JRA before but it was for a FL Hyatt Beach House week.
    Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

I just happened to see this post, and although it is over a year old, I felt the need to respond and clarify. We care very much about our clients, their opinions and their satisfaction.
    In response to the comment "Stealing from Peter to pay Paul", we have never stolen from anyone.
    If there were typos in the closing documents, I do apologize for that. We try to be 100% accurate, but sometimes errors do occur and if that is the case, we will always apologize, take responsibility and fix the errors.
    Regarding your comment in #5 of your post, JRA Services, Inc. has never bounced a check in the fifteen years that we have been in business, and I can guarantee you that we will never issue a bad check to anyone. In this case, VRI was the one that either lost the paperwork or claimed that the check was no good. As you stated in your update (and I do appreciate your posting an update to clarify this), I did provide the buyer with a copy of the cancelled check from VRI. Once I was made aware that there was a problem, I immediately got right on top of it to take care of it and resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkis_playpen View Post
    JRA works under a licensed Florida attorney..
    That is probably okay for Florida transfers (I am not making a definite statement as to Florida law - someone using this company should assess Florida law for themselves), but NOT for others among the attorney states unless he has a license in those states, too, which is unlikely.

Just because a deed got recorded and recognized by a resort, all in a reasonable time, does not necessarily mean that a transfer went fine. Very few registers of deeds or timeshare managers are experts in the law of their states as to deeds and do not check all aspects of deeds (they often check the most obvious like whether it has been notarized but not much more), and I have seen many, many completely invalid timeshare deeds, prepared by multi-state timeshare closing companies recorded in North Carolina that are completely invalid to convey good title in the state. Everybody thinks those transactions went fine, but they are ticking time bombs.

Steve, doesn't one of the Carolina's require a lawyer to make any deed transfers ?

Silver Contributor and supermoderator GrayFal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Presley View Post
    I have been informed by the buyer that JRA sent her a copy of the cleared check. So, VRI is wrong about the checking bouncing. Now, the buyer has to deal with VRI to get a refund of the $125.00 that she paid to them.
    Thanks OP for posting where the problem was - VRI
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet A View Post
    I just happened to see this post, and although it is over a year old, I felt the need to respond and clarify. We care very much about our clients, their opinions and their satisfaction.
    In response to the comment "Stealing from Peter to pay Paul", we have never stolen from anyone.
    If there were typos in the closing documents, I do apologize for that. We try to be 100% accurate, but sometimes errors do occur and if that is the case, we will always apologize, take responsibility and fix the errors.
    Regarding your comment in #5 of your post, JRA Services, Inc. has never bounced a check in the fifteen years that we have been in business, and I can guarantee you that we will never issue a bad check to anyone. In this case, VRI was the one that either lost the paperwork or claimed that the check was no good. As you stated in your update (and I do appreciate your posting an update to clarify this), I did provide the buyer with a copy of the cancelled check from VRI. Once I was made aware that there was a problem, I immediately got right on top of it to take care of it and resolve the issue.
    Hello Janet and Welcome to TS4Ms

Sorry your first post is defending your company - you will find many more posts here that are positive about you and your company.
    We have a fair forum and welcome your participation here.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Steve, doesn't one of the Carolina's require a lawyer to make any deed transfers ?
    Both of the Carolinas require attorneys to prepare deeds unless it is actually prepared by either the buyer or the seller. Some laypeople try to disguise their involvement by listing the buyer or seller as the deed preparer. If a timeshare transfer company tries to do that, then you know you are dealing with someone who is thumbing their nose at the law. Anyone other than a licensed attorney in that state or the actual buyer or the actual seller who prepares a deed can be prosecuted for the criminal misdemeanor of Unlicensed Practice of Law is no money is charged for the deed. If money is charged, they can be prosecuted for the criminal felony of Obtaining Money by False Pretenses. An attorney in another state who is not licensed where the timeshare is located can himself be prosecuted for these criminal offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
    Both of the Carolinas require attorneys to prepare deeds unless it is actually prepared by either the buyer or the seller. Some laypeople try to disguise their involvement by listing the buyer or seller as the deed preparer. If a timeshare transfer company tries to do that, then you know you are dealing with someone who is thumbing their nose at the law. Anyone other than a licensed attorney in that state or the actual buyer or the actual seller who prepares a deed can be prosecuted for the criminal misdemeanor of Unlicensed Practice of Law is no money is charged for the deed. If money is charged, they can be prosecuted for the criminal felony of Obtaining Money by False Pretenses. An attorney in another state who is not licensed where the timeshare is located can himself be prosecuted for these criminal offenses.
    One very popular eBay/website timeshare seller does exactly what you mention... Issues deeds like the seller actually prepared the deed, but many sing their praises anyways. Oh yeah, they don't use contracts or closing companies either, so after payment the next communication from them is your deed in mail.

BTW- JRA recently handled a transfer for me and all went great. I'm having problem with the Resort, but that has nothing to due with JRA

Just saw this thread myself. I have used JRA many times in the past and have had all positive experiences. Janet was great to deal with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast