Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite European timeshares?

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tend to seek out the larger cities, (for now) but it can be anywhere in Europe, not just cities. Once I get through the cities, I'll be on to the country sides. Hopefully, at any rate.

It seems that the "Mondi" timeshares are rated well, from the reviews that I've read on RCI. Good to know that you've enjoyed your stay. Also, Perle Veneziane, pops up in RCI, and I was wondering what it was like. Venice is on my short list. I currently have a request in for Venice in II, but am not getting my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    One that comes to mind we enjoyed, generally undervisited by North Americans from what I can tell, is RCI's Feriecentret Ragaleje Klit in Denmark #2056. It's on a beautiful beach, close enough to Copenhagen that you can take the train in a couple of times during yr stay to visit its major sites (or drive, but we didn't, tho we used a car for further travel that week), + see other beautiful parts of Denmark. You can even take a ferry to Sweden for a day (we planned to, but ran out of time). The 2-BR units all have beautiful views, not fancy but very clean and comfortable, almost endless daylight in summer.

Another maybe: Ferienclub Grundlsee (Mondi) #2578, you can visit Salzburg from there, but again it's more of a rural than urban timeshare.

There are others I loved, but not near urban areas, rather in spectacular rural areas such as UK's Lake District, France's Dordogne, etc.

Just got back from Perle Veneziane (Venice) where we landed a 3-BR, and had space to spare w/4 people. Not fancy but no complaints, other than the # of rainy days! But we finally got to witness and experience "Acqua Alta" ...

Edited to add: if you're wondering what acqua alta is, here's our youtube:
    Hope you brought along your boots!
    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsieAng View Post
    It seems that the "Mondi" timeshares are rated well, from the reviews that I've read on RCI. Good to know that you've enjoyed your stay. Also, Perle Veneziane, pops up in RCI, and I was wondering what it was like. Venice is on my short list. I currently have a request in for Venice in II, but am not getting my hopes up.

Hope you brought along your boots!
    We've been to 3 of the Mondi's now, Grundlsee was my favorite. This last trip included a Mondi-affiliate near Merano Italy, during what turned out to be peak leaf, and was the most basic resort-wise but absolutely spectacular for location.

Perle Veneziane will vary apt to apt, as do some other Venice TS's - the staff was great; this apt was basic, 2 floors with 2 bathrooms - very convenient location to public transport inc train station & waterbus stops, markets, grocery stores, restaurants & pastry shops; comfy tempwise; and last but not least, a decently-equipped kitchen with three stovetop cappuccino makers.

We actually didn't really have boots, but managed to keep our shoes dry; they put those raised walkways down most places.

Cool

I have stayed in 3 European timeshares and recommend all 3 but for slightly different reasons.

1) Allen House - London England spacious but dated units unless you are lucky enough to get one of the few renovated units. This timeshare is all about location which is fantastic. I wrote a TUG review if you want more detailed information. I would stay here again in a heartbeat in any unit just to be in this great central London spot in Kensington and walking distance to Kensington Palace.

2) Residence Vaugrenier RCI number 0550, not to be confused with the other timeshare in the same town as this which is not as nice. This timeshare is in a residential area in the French Riviera half way between Nice and Caines. Location for touring French Riviera and Monaco is fantastic. Units were up to date with everything you could want in a timeshare vacation. Our 1BR even had two bathrooms, very nice Kitchen and two balcony's overlooking gorgeous gardens. We even had a small but distand view of the sea from one of the balcony's. Highly recommended but very little available since it is mostly owned apartments with only a couple of timeshare units per floor.

I would stay here again if I was ever lucky enough to get a trade into this great timeshare for touring but this is not a resort with little to do at the timeshare. We did spend one afternoon at the pool but that was all we did their besides coming back every night to a comfortable home away from home.

3) Carpedium Roma Golf Club RCI # 4367. Had a great time here in this very nice timehare that was all marble inside and overlooked a very nice golf course. Location was not the best to visit Rome as we needed a car to get to train station about 20 minutes away and then another 20-30 minute train ride to center of Rome. We also used it to tour surrounding area such as Pompei, Tivoli Gardens and parts of Tuscany, eventually driving to Florence where we dropped off our rental car.

Loved the entire trip which also included 3 nights in Venice and am so glad I took this trade and would recommend this timeshare for a first trip to Italy. However, next time I would prefer to stay in Rome since we wasted a lot of time getting to and from timeshare and Rome.
    LARRY

We've stayed at the Allen House, Carpedium Roma, Carpedium Assisi, Cameron House (outside Glasgow), and the one that looks like a pyramid at Nice (can't remember the name). All were fine except Nice, and it was sort of marginal. However, staying at Carpedium Roma didn't compare with renting an apartment in Rome, which we've just returned from. Being right in the city, being able to walk, shopping on the way home.....everything about it was better than being at Carpedium Roma--and by the time you figure exchange fees/maintenance fees, it didn't cost much (if any more).
    "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity." Adrian Rogers

Contributor - Bronze
    I enjoyed two Hilton timeshares in Scotland. Craigendarroch and the one in Aviemore.

The ambiance of staying in a historic property really adds to a timeshare stay in Europe. Some of my favorites;

Austria - Schloss Grubhof (2BR units have the most charm, followed by 1BR on 1st floor - not ground floor) - a former medieval castle, used in the 19th century as a hunting castle by the Bavarian Royal Family

France - Chateau de Maulmont - built by the Knights Templar in the Middle Ages and last major rebuild by Princess Adelaide, sister of King Louis Phillipe I of France in the mid 19th century. Also Chateau de Tredion, whose units have improved after renovation.

UK - Broome Park, Stouts Hill, Thurnham Hall, Sutton Hall, Elmers Court Country Club, Kilconquhar Castle Wychnor Park. In some of these, you need to be certain that your unit is in the manor house rather than new construction on the grounds.

Ireland - Seasons at Knocktopher Abbey (use DAE or II) - A 12th century abbey, which was acquired by a noble family when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries, and converted to their principle residence, which it remained until converted to a timeshare about 1980.

Italy - Most of the timeshares in Venice are in historic buildings in historic parts of the city.

Germany - Erlenbruck, an 18th century hunting lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    We've been to 3 of the Mondi's now, Grundlsee was my favorite. This last trip included a Mondi-affiliate near Merano Italy, during what turned out to be peak leaf, and was the most basic resort-wise but absolutely spectacular for location.

Perle Veneziane will vary apt to apt, as do some other Venice TS's - the staff was great; this apt was basic, 2 floors with 2 bathrooms - very convenient location to public transport inc train station & waterbus stops, markets, grocery stores, restaurants & pastry shops; comfy tempwise; and last but not least, a decently-equipped kitchen with three stovetop cappuccino makers.

We actually didn't really have boots, but managed to keep our shoes dry; they put those raised walkways down most places.
    Raised sidewalks...Ha, who knew!

Thanks again for the info.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I have stayed in 3 European timeshares and recommend all 3 but for slightly different reasons.

1) Allen House - London England spacious but dated units unless you are lucky enough to get one of the few renovated units. This timeshare is all about location which is fantastic. I wrote a TUG review if you want more detailed information. I would stay here again in a heartbeat in any unit just to be in this great central London spot in Kensington and walking distance to Kensington Palace.

2) Residence Vaugrenier RCI number 0550, not to be confused with the other timeshare in the same town as this which is not as nice. This timeshare is in a residential area in the French Riviera half way between Nice and Caines. Location for touring French Riviera and Monaco is fantastic. Units were up to date with everything you could want in a timeshare vacation. Our 1BR even had two bathrooms, very nice Kitchen and two balcony's overlooking gorgeous gardens. We even had a small but distand view of the sea from one of the balcony's. Highly recommended but very little available since it is mostly owned apartments with only a couple of timeshare units per floor.

I would stay here again if I was ever lucky enough to get a trade into this great timeshare for touring but this is not a resort with little to do at the timeshare. We did spend one afternoon at the pool but that was all we did their besides coming back every night to a comfortable home away from home.

3) Carpedium Roma Golf Club RCI # 4367. Had a great time here in this very nice timehare that was all marble inside and overlooked a very nice golf course. Location was not the best to visit Rome as we needed a car to get to train station about 20 minutes away and then another 20-30 minute train ride to center of Rome. We also used it to tour surrounding area such as Pompei, Tivoli Gardens and parts of Tuscany, eventually driving to Florence where we dropped off our rental car.

Loved the entire trip which also included 3 nights in Venice and am so glad I took this trade and would recommend this timeshare for a first trip to Italy. However, next time I would prefer to stay in Rome since we wasted a lot of time getting to and from timeshare and Rome.

Thanks for the info, especially on Nice. Some of the timeshares in that area dont look so good. Good to have a recommendation for anyone looking to travel in that area.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Pstreet1 View Post
    We've stayed at the Allen House, Carpedium Roma, Carpedium Assisi, Cameron House (outside Glasgow), and the one that looks like a pyramid at Nice (can't remember the name). All were fine except Nice, and it was sort of marginal. However, staying at Carpedium Roma didn't compare with renting an apartment in Rome, which we've just returned from. Being right in the city, being able to walk, shopping on the way home.....everything about it was better than being at Carpedium Roma--and by the time you figure exchange fees/maintenance fees, it didn't cost much (if any more).
    Quote Originally Posted by catwgirl View Post
    I enjoyed two Hilton timeshares in Scotland. Craigendarroch and the one in Aviemore.
    Thanks for the info!

I agree that renting is sometimes a better option, especially if you want to be in walking distance to some major sites. The aparthotels can be a good option, as well.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinian View Post
    The ambiance of staying in a historic property really adds to a timeshare stay in Europe. Some of my favorites;

Austria - Schloss Grubhof (2BR units have the most charm, followed by 1BR on 1st floor - not ground floor) - a former medieval castle, used in the 19th century as a hunting castle by the Bavarian Royal Family

France - Chateau de Maulmont - built by the Knights Templar in the Middle Ages and last major rebuild by Princess Adelaide, sister of King Louis Phillipe I of France in the mid 19th century. Also Chateau de Tredion, whose units have improved after renovation.

UK - Broome Park, Stouts Hill, Thurnham Hall, and several others.
    True....Staying in a historical property really gives you a whole different experience. You feel like you're experiencing part of history. Thanks for the info!
    Angela

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast