Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Recent trip to Israel

  1. #11
    Super Moderator Glitter Brunello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Yawk
    Posts
    18,398
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskre View Post
    Beautiful resort Larry.
    Just curious. Do they have female and male pool days or can both sexes use the pool together. When I was there in 1996 the hotels had alternating pool days. Is it the same with the timeshares?
    Chris, are you talking about Herod's specifically?

  2. #12
    Senior Member Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    541

    Cool Part II

    Here is part II of our trip:

    Dan Panorama Hotel Jerusalem


    After our 1 hour flight from Eilat to Tel Aviv we took a scherute ( Shared Taxi Van) to the center of Jerusalem and stayed one week at the Dan Panorama Hotel. I picked this hotel for it’s location within walking distance to the historic walled “old city”, The Great Synagogue of Jerusalem and easy access by bus or taxi to museums, archeological sites and Yad Veshem ( Israel’s holocaust museum) . The week we were there included a Jewish holiday of Shavuot. I will not go into giving a detailed review of the Hotel since it was not a timeshare but it met all of my expectations and more. Very nice room but just a hotel room with King bed and small fridge as well as coffee maker. Hotel was recently renovated and was a four star property. Food including daily buffet breakfast was very good.

    Hotel catered to many diverse tour groups as tour buses arrived throughout the week and included, Japanese tourists, Italian and German tourists and at least two evangelical tours from the USA as well as several individual tourists like us from all over the world including many from the USA. We were near many other hotels including the Historic 5 diamond King David hotel which was just two block away, During the week we walked through all of the sections of the “old city” including the Armenian quarter, Christian Quarter, Jewish Quarter and Muslim Quarter”, on three separate occasions, We also went to the “western wall” also known as the “wailing wall the only remaining section of the second Jewish Temple including a fascinating tour of “The Western Wall Tunnels”.

    During the holiday of Shavuot we went to the “Great synagogue” for services which was magnificent and was lead by a world renowned cantor and choir that was like a concert. It was so magical that we returned again for Saturday morning services and were mesmerized again.

    On the other days of the week we went to the Israel museum which included the “Dead Sea scrolls’ and spent an entire day at Yad Veshem which I can’t even begin to describe as it documents the Holocaust that occurred during WWII that is beyond comprehension

    During our week in Jerusalem we again met up with my cousins for dinner and later during the week her sister travelled into Jerusalem from Tel Aviv with her husband and we had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant overlooking the outer walls of the “Old city”.

    My wife had to leave after two weeks and took a flight back to NY early Sunday Morning as I headed to another timeshare week in Tiberius overlooking the sea of Galilee and touring of the northern part of Israel..
    LARRY

  3. #13
    Senior Member Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskre View Post
    Beautiful resort Larry.
    Just curious. Do they have female and male pool days or can both sexes use the pool together. When I was there in 1996 the hotels had alternating pool days. Is it the same with the timeshares?
    Swimming at all of the pools in Israel were for everyone together. Herod's is all hotel with different buildings but no designated timeshare building. The 10th floor of the Herod's palace is their "Residence club" which basically have hotel type suites which were sold as timeshare and was were we stayed.

    Regarding separate swimming for men and women there are no hotels in Israel that have that other than when a hotel is rented out to a religious group during a specific holiday such as Passover or Rosh Hashana etc.

    Perhaps that was when you were there???????
    LARRY

  4. #14
    Super Moderator chriskre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    10,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
    Chris, are you talking about Herod's specifically?
    No, I stayed in the Renaissance in Jerusalem and also in Tiberias we encountered this. I think it was a Holiday Inn in Tiberias but I don't really remember for sure.

    I was there in September but don't remember any holidays going on at that time but maybe there was.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    541

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by chriskre View Post
    No, I stayed in the Renaissance in Jerusalem and also in Tiberias we encountered this. I think it was a Holiday Inn in Tiberias but I don't really remember for sure.

    I was there in September but don't remember any holidays going on at that time but maybe there was.
    i have friends that have stayed at the Renaissance in Jerusalem and they definitely have mixed swimming unless it is rented primarily to a large ultra orthodox group for a Jewish holiday. Rosh Hashanah may come out in September or October depending on how the Jewish Calendar falls out and when Rosh Hashana comes in early September you can also have the holiday of Sukkot and Simchat Torah at the end of September.

    For example if you were there in 2002 Rosh Hashanah started on Sundown September 6 and Sukkot started on Sundown September 21 and lasts for 8 days and is very popular for large groups renting out hotels for the entire holiday.

    September 2010 also had the Jewish holidays in September with Rosh Hashana in the early part of September and Sukkot starting September 23 and again lasting through the end of September.
    LARRY

  6. #16
    Super Moderator chriskre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    10,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    i have friends that have stayed at the Renaissance in Jerusalem and they definitely have mixed swimming unless it is rented primarily to a large ultra orthodox group for a Jewish holiday. Rosh Hashanah may come out in September or October depending on how the Jewish Calendar falls out and when Rosh Hashana comes in early September you can also have the holiday of Sukkot and Simchat Torah at the end of September.

    For example if you were there in 2002 Rosh Hashanah started on Sundown September 6 and Sukkot started on Sundown September 21 and lasts for 8 days and is very popular for large groups renting out hotels for the entire holiday.

    September 2010 also had the Jewish holidays in September with Rosh Hashana in the early part of September and Sukkot starting September 23 and again lasting through the end of September.
    We're not Orthodox but we were a very big group. Maybe that's why. Our tour had 2500 people on it and we chartered a few planes and about 50 buses. I know we had trouble getting a cab a few nights. Ended up walking quite a ways.

  7. #17
    I really like this discussion, the travel experience shared in the discussion helps me so much and keep me updated. Actually, i have to travel to Israel for my next vacations. Can you please suggest me some good travel attractions and accommodations at Israel. I have to travel with my wife and kid. Thanks in advance i am waiting for response.
    ----------------------------------------

  8. #18
    Senior Member Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    541

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Wentworth View Post
    I really like this discussion, the travel experience shared in the discussion helps me so much and keep me updated. Actually, i have to travel to Israel for my next vacations. Can you please suggest me some good travel attractions and accommodations at Israel. I have to travel with my wife and kid. Thanks in advance i am waiting for response.
    ----------------------------------------
    Although Israel is a small country about the size of NJ there is so much to see and I have listed many of the highlights of my trip in this post as well as my post on Part III. when you say you want travel suggestions on
    " attractions", I think of Disney type attractions where Israel has historical, biblical, cultural, nature, etc. etc. So it would be helpful if you stated what your area of interest is and how long you will be there so that we can add to my list appropriately. for example tour guides in Israel set up entirely different itineraries for Jewish groups, Christian groups and Muslim groups.

    So I will start with some very generic sites I would go to if this were my first trip that I did not go to on this trip.

    1) Masada. I climbed up the mountain when I visited during my college days and because of the desert heat everyone did the climb way before sunrise. I believe I started at around 2:00 AM and got to the top just about when the sun was coming up. I believe Masada may now have a tram so no need to climb. They also now have an outdoor theater near Masada for nightime shows so you can make this an all day trip.

    2) Tel Aviv- Cosmopolitan seaside city with great nightlife.

    3) Caesaria- seaside ancient city built bi Roman's

    4) Haifa- third largest city in Israel and largest port city in Israel on the Mediterranean Sea.

    5) Numerous biblical towns and sites depending on your interests, such as Nazareth, Jericho, Bethlehem, Hebron ( tomb of the Jewish Patriarchs), Churches, Synagogues and Mosque's ( usually only allowed to enter by Muslims). Many archeological sites of interest including spending a day digging at a site.
    LARRY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •