Thread: Points reasoning?

Points reasoning?

I'm currently at a timeshare - The Christie Lodge - and just sat through an RCI points presentation by Celebrity, the home group for Christie. They want me to buy a points timeshare, and then deposit my weeks for points. I realize they want to sell their timeshare - not even in this resort. Since I buy my weeks at resale, I'm not really interested in their offer.

But what I've been able to glean from the RCI site (the details were not really explained at the presentation, especially the negative aspects) only sounds negative.

My most "valuable" timeshare, pointswise, is Charter Resort on Naples Bay. I own a Nov week, not a great week for FL, but all units at Charter are gold crown, red, and two bedroom.

Once I have agreed to deposit this into my points account (I'd create this by buying a cheap points week on eBay), I would then have the opportunity at 13 months before my Nov week to "buy back" the unit week for its points value (plus a $69 charge, I think). If I didn't want to do this, the week would go into the RCI pool for points owners.

At 12 months before my Nov week, I'd have opportunity to "buy" any other week at my resort (they're all the same points value). I'd jump at the chance to get a week in Jan-Mar, worth much more than my Nov week, but I really don't see much chance of that; they've been available to the world since last Mar-May.

At 11 months before my Nov week it's Home Group priority period, so I could try for any of the Island One (Charter's affiliate) resorts. Again, not much chance of getting a winter week.

At 10 months, it's the standard reservation period, so I could try for any resort that I had the points for. But by now things are pretty well picked over. "New" weeks becoming available to the general public will be Nov weeks, so to get the best unit to rent out, I'd want to try for a location like New Orleans. What I'd really like for myself is a summer week in CA or New England, but I don't see much chance of getting that with a Nov week.

I think maybe season is more important now. To get a summer week, I should deposit a summer week, but it can be any summer week. Maybe even pick up a couple of cheap Orlando summer weeks, which wouldn't have many points, but would get you the access to other summer weeks with your accumulated points.

How do floating weeks work?

I did get the presenter to admit that you can buy cheaper airfare and car rentals than you'd trade points for, but he said it was a good way to "use up points". I should buy points in order to use them up???

What I've just started to do is buy the actual weeks that I want to use on the resale market. That eliminates all RCI charges, and I know that I have the time reserved.

Can someone please point out the flaws in my reasoning? I'm retired, so I don't need to have flexible time periods - weeks work just fine for me. I really can't see the benefit of points, other than to RCI.

The simple answer is points aren't for those that feel "a fixed week is just fine". From the day we bought our first timeshare I knew we wanted to own at places we liked to visit, thus no trading required, but we did not want to have to return to the same unit on the same week each year except in very seasonal areas such as Cape Cod. So even our first purchase of a week was at a 100^% float time resort. That meant we had the right to a weeks usage each year but it could be any week in any unit.

Eventually we saw the fun of trying different areas that we wouldn't necessarily want to own at but would be nice to visit. When points came along that was the perfect answer. We get X points and can spend them wherever we want. Unlike weeks deposits there is no question of value. If the time/resort you desire is on the list and you have (or can borrow, rent or pool) enough points it's yours. For those who want a known way to travel almost anywhere at anytime points are great. For those who prefer unit 3 facing the beach on the 4th week of February it may not be a good deal. Match your ownership to your use. It sounds like you already have.

Gigim,
    The Charter resort is not a points affiliated resort. You can deposit this into a points account by buying points at The Elsewhere Resort. You could not make any points transactions into Charter at 13,12, and 10 months. You can make those transactions into your week at Elsewhere Resort at 13 months, the Elsewhere's Resort and Group at 12 and 11 months, and to any points affiliated resort at 10 months.
    You can use your points to "raid" the Marco in the Weeks system from 2 years out.
    Glenn

It's getting harder all the time to know what country I'm in.

That means that I only deposit the Charter week as points if I don't want to use it that year at Charter? Then my use of those points would be regulated by the Elsewhere week?

So if I buy a July Elsewhere points week, and deposit my Nov Charter week as points into the account, then in Sept I'll be able to buy a newly released points July week somewhere using my Charter and Elsewhere points?

As for raiding the weeks system, I was told that you can't buy weeks system weeks with points, only those weeks that other owners have converted to points. I think I'm seeing in other posts that that's not true, though. I think Charter has a rule on an internal trade that you can't trade a non-high season week for a high season week, even though both are red. I wonder if that rule would override the RCI points rules.

This is an oversimplified case, unfortunately, and that is partly to blame for my confusion. I really own 5 different resorts presently, all weeks. At least I think they are weeks. The RCI points presenter said that one of my weeks (at Brewster Green) was ineligible for deposit into my points account because the resort already was points. I just bought that week, and there was no discussion of points. But sure enough, when I look at Brewster Green on RCI, it has a points value. My week there is Oct, which I want to use, but first use (by sales agreement) is Oct 2006. I think I need to call Brewster Green and see what they can tell me.

BTW, just so I don't get a bad rep on this board, I'm not interested in "raiding" Charter, I have that week for sale. Although maybe if I do have a points account already, I could use the points it would generate elsewhere. Hmmmm.....

Thanks for all your help. I don't think points are for me; actually I don't think RCI is for me, since they seem to be pushing points. My Charter week used to trade fine as a week with RCI, but this year I couldn't seem to get anything with my banked weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GigiM
    That means that I only deposit the Charter week as points if I don't want to use it that year at Charter? Then my use of those points would be regulated by the Elsewhere week?

You would spacebank your Charter week and tell RCI to take it in points up to 90 days before checkin date. They will give you the worth in points from the generic grid for the resort rating, size and season you own at Charter. These points would add to your allotment from Elswhere.

So if I buy a July Elsewhere points week, and deposit my Nov Charter week as points into the account, then in Sept I'll be able to buy a newly released points July week somewhere using my Charter and Elsewhere points?

You could go for the week at Elsewhere that far out since that is your home resort. All other points resorts open to reservations at 10 months out. You can now also search in Weeks two years out and take what you see available for its' point worth in the generic grid.

As for raiding the weeks system, I was told that you can't buy weeks system weeks with points, only those weeks that other owners have converted to points. I think I'm seeing in other posts that that's not true, though. I think Charter has a rule on an internal trade that you can't trade a non-high season week for a high season week, even though both are red. I wonder if that rule would override the RCI points rules.

No, Weeks members can't buy at Points resorts while Points members may pick from either system. You would need to check with Charter as to whether the internal trade rule would apply to a points transaction. Resorts can still have their rules.

This is an oversimplified case, unfortunately, and that is partly to blame for my confusion. I really own 5 different resorts presently, all weeks. At least I think they are weeks. The RCI points presenter said that one of my weeks (at Brewster Green) was ineligible for deposit into my points account because the resort already was points. I just bought that week, and there was no discussion of points. But sure enough, when I look at Brewster Green on RCI, it has a points value. My week there is Oct, which I want to use, but first use (by sales agreement) is Oct 2006. I think I need to call Brewster Green and see what they can tell me.

You may not use resorts affiliated with Points in Points for Deposit. Someone will likely be contacting you soon from Brewster so that you may take advantage of a points conversion for a big fee. Come back and talk about what you are offered before plunking down cash.

BTW, just so I don't get a bad rep on this board, I'm not interested in "raiding" Charter, I have that week for sale. Although maybe if I do have a points account already, I could use the points it would generate elsewhere. Hmmmm.....

I don't think most on the board would have hard feelings over you using the systems that are in place to get a vacation. Now your new purchase at Brewster would have required a Points Membership Transfer Application and had a fee of $199 if you bought an already converted resort unit.

Thanks for all your help. I don't think points are for me; actually I don't think RCI is for me, since they seem to be pushing points. My Charter week used to trade fine as a week with RCI, but this year I couldn't seem to get anything with my banked weeks.

I have one more exchange scheduled with RCI which requires membership through its' use then I'm gone. I got rid of my points resort at Havasu and sold my resort run by points pusher Berkley. I've a couple of crummy resorts left. One I use at PCB and the other I'm trying DAE. Some here don't mind and make good use of their points. I'll get out of their way now.
    ninecharacters
    Glenn

It's getting harder all the time to know what country I'm in.

have been successful
    in trading my week for points even though I bought resale (outside the Marriott system !)...Ice broken? Not to good at spamming us. Link removed infraction given
    Last edited by bigfrank; 03-12-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Spam link