PDA

View Full Version : BI - dining

w.bob
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Interested in suggestions for restaurants on the big Island. 1st priority would be the quaility of the food followed by the views preferably of the water and sunsets. I do have a coupon from the Entertainment book for the Tropics restaurant at the Royal Kona Resort. I have not seen a lot of reviews but he few I read sounded nice. I read that they have different buffets throughout the week but cannot find much about them. Your recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you

aliikai2
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Bob, 1st you really should get the Big Island Revealed , as it will answer almost every question about the Big Island that you can think of..

For additional items I use Kona Web (http://www.konaweb.com/#WEBCAM)

and Hawaii Beaches (http://www.beachactivityguide.com/).

Enjoy your trip. :D Greg

w.bob
06-29-2005, 08:01 AM
I received a reply to an email to the Tropics Restaurant that said they no longer have any dinner buffets only their regular menu but they do still offer a breakfast buffet. I am still interested in hearing about this restaurant and any others you may have eaten at. Thanks

philsfan
06-29-2005, 07:57 PM
we liked Huggo's and Jamison's, call a week ahead for reservations and you'll likely get a great view of the sunset at Jamison's.

beachbarbie
07-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi,
We are just back from our trip to the Big Island and Maui. We also had the entertainment book. We went to the Tropics Cafe thinking that we were in for a fabulous meal. Wrong. There were 4 of us and EVERYTHING that we ordered was not good. From prime rib(overdone and tasteless..I still can't believe that it actually had NO taste to it) Chicken and Fish were overcooked also and their ribs were ok. Nothing special about this place except the view. Their signature dessert of an ice cream/ brownie was even bad. The brownie was so hard that you had to pound your fork in it to eat it...and I am not exaggerating this at all. Bottom line the food forgetable...service is good...view is oceanfront and Awesome. Resort and restaurant are a little run down.
French Bakery in the book is good for baked goods as is the Daylight Donuts. Lava Java has awesome Cinnamon Rolls and good baked goods.
Kona Brewpub has great pizza, beer and desserts..No view and not in entertainment book. A little hard to find but worth it.
Our favorite dinner was at the Kona Inn in downtown Kaulua-Kona. Ocean front but not as close as the Tropics Cafe. Macadamia crusted mahi mahi with plum sauce was EXCELLENT as was the service.
Mrs Barry's Cookies in the blue bible has VERY good cookies. We had to make the trip there a couple of times.
Have a great time. The Big Island is beautiful.
Barbie

w.bob
07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Barbie, thanks for the info. I will have to rethink going to Tropics Cafe

shopgirl
08-13-2005, 10:27 PM
WAS great at Kona Inn. We all loved that restaurant, three fish eaters did anyway. The beef eater in our group did not like her meal

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back