PDA

View Full Version : Sticking the Tax to Timeshare Owners

sreiml8
08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Last year, Maui county government officials slapped the timeshare industry with a much higher real property tax rate by creating a brand new category called timeshares, and now it seems the City & County of Honolulu is following suit.

http://tinyurl.com/9keqt :link:

tonyg
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
You would think AARDA would be doing something about this.

Carolinian
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Most places tax the whole resort as an entity, but a few impose tax unit/week by unit/week. Which does Maui do? If they do the latter, IMHO there is a good argument that the value should be based on resale, not developer prices. I doubt a local tax body would go along, but it would be a solid argument with a state-level tax commission that reviews local decisions.

philsfan
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
I pay taxes on my Aqua weeks based on the resale price that I paid. I thought that was the accepted practice. One more thing to think about when buying...

taffy19
08-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Last year, Maui county government officials slapped the timeshare industry with a much higher real property tax rate by creating a brand new category called timeshares, and now it seems the City & County of Honolulu is following suit.

http://tinyurl.com/9keqt :link:
That's Big Government for you. They always want more money so that they can squander it. Don't they charge bed taxes too in Hawaii to everyone who trades into a timeshare resort? Laguna Beach in California does the same thing besides sending a tax bill to the timeshare owners. :mad:

tonyg
08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I got on the case of one timeshare management group about getting the taxes reduced in Orlando and the next maintenance bill showed a significant reduction in property tax. It's an interesting question as to whether timeshares should be taxed differently than other property. It seems to be that any condominium group with amenities for all the owners should be taxed by the same method-be it timeshare or whole ownership. Anything else would be discriminatory and certainly disadvantageous for timeshare ownership.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back