PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning, why don't all resorts in Hawaii

aliikai2
07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
have it??

This has become the second largest complaint only surpassed by " Not Ocean Front"

The reason is that in the previous era's most felt that the mild Hawaiian climate didn't require A/C, and most of the time that is correct, for the temperature.

But the newer users of timeshares, condos, etc don't seem to be as quiet as my generation.

For example the Lawai Beach resort, all the 1 bedroom units have the bedroom on the walkway at the rear of the building, so every sound from the kids screaming, to the car doors and alarms going off, funnel into your bedroom while your trying to sleep.

Now this building was built in the mid 80's so it isn't a design flaw, it is the changing demographics of the users.

Can resorts retro fit A/C into these existing units? Yes, but the cost of installation and the ongoing cost of electricity would need to be paid for by the owners of the resort, right?

Maybe not, several resorts have started an energy surcharge, or a daily fee for the use of the A/C, like the Embassy's, Kona Coast, Paniolo Greens to name a few.

Maybe this isn't a bad idea, but we have solved this noise problem with a much less expensive item. 99 cent ear plugs, :wow: , and we sleep like babies.

In fact I don't know if noise just effects more than it used to, but we now use them almost anytime we travel. fwiw, :wavey: Greg

tonyg
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
It's a question of economics-cost of the equipment and the cost to operate, maintain and replace it. There are some places that really can get along without it, such as the Acadia area timeshares. At AVR they had none and got along fine until they built the 2nd phase, single level units which they recently retrofitted with A/C due to all the complaints. The first phase still doesn't have them and there are only a few days a year where they would be nice, but they are two level townhouses and don't heat up like the phase 2 units.

BoardGirl
07-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm one of those people that will run the AC only when I really have to. "have to" typically meaning I just can't get comfy otherwise - we didn't have it growing up so I can do without. It really floors me that usually when you walk into a hotel room or ts with AC, they have cooled the place to FRIGID awaiting your arrival.

I would far rather throw open the windows and turn on the ceiling fans. Nothing beats Real Air.

Of course, my extreme bug fears only make the window scenario possible if the screens are in good shape!

Seems to me that if no AC is going to deter others from going, just opens the door to opportunities for me!!

short
07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
AC is a must even in HI. Coming from CA the humidity in HI is more of a problem for us than the temp. I don't intent to go that far and spend that kind of money to be miserable.

It has been my intention to develop a list of no AC resorts to avoid but I haven't had time nor do I have any upcoming trips to HI. Does anyone want to add a few no AC resorts in HI at this time?

Short

aliikai2
07-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Since most don't.

Take Kauai for example, in no special order, the Embassy, Pono Kai, Marriott's, Kauai Beach Villas,and the Makai Club Cottages are the only ones I can think of that do have A/C, and most of them are partial , either the bedrooms of the living space.

Only one of the Vacation Internationale resorts has A/C, that is the Hololani on Maui.

Most of the RAVC resorts don't have A/C, just the one in Waikiki.

Most of the ones that do, have an additional charge for it's use, like the Kona Coast and the Paniolo Greens on the Big Island. The Kona Hawaiian Village has central A/C and currently doesn't charge for it's use. Of course , they are still in sales mode.

Maui seems to have more A/C, Kahana Falls, Embassy, Schooners, Maui Lea, Gardens of West Maui , naturally the Marriott and the Westin's.

But again, most don't.
fwiw, Greg

AC is a must even in HI. Coming from CA the humidity in HI is more of a problem for us than the temp. I don't intent to go that far and spend that kind of money to be miserable.

It has been my intention to develop a list of no AC resorts to avoid but I haven't had time nor do I have any upcoming trips to HI. Does anyone want to add a few no AC resorts in HI at this time?

Short

Doug.Kaya
08-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Amen !!! :allright:

Barbara
08-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Does the Cliff Club in Kauai have A/C. We stayed there and were not uncomfortable but I can't remember if there was A/C or not.
Barbara

Since most don't.
Take Kauai for example, in no special order, the Embassy, Pono Kai, Marriott's, Kauai Beach Villas,and the Makai Club Cottages are the only ones I can think of that do have A/C, and most of them are partial , either the bedrooms of the living space.

taffy19
08-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Barbara, I don't think that the Cliffs (http://www.cliffs-princeville.com/resort.php/CLIFFS_AT_PRINCEVILLE) have A/C because it doesn't mention it in their write-up but the Maui Sunset (http://www.mauisunset.com/) in Kihei has A/C units in the living room and bedroom(s) but we have hardly ever used it when we are there in the first two weeks of April. When we open the front and back doors, we get cooled off in a hurry and we use the fan at night.

We practically live on the Lanai when we are at the condo. It is not central air like at the newer resorts. As far as we know, there is no extra charge. A/C must be really necessary in the summer if so many people want it.

chubby
08-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Hi All

Yes Maui Sunset has AC we stayed there in May and it was very good to have but in Pahio At Bali Hai Villas on Kauai it never and it was hot box they say trade winds are cool but when you have units all around you they do not get in the unit so why not AC it is a must if they want to sell these units at top dollar get with it and put in AC this is 2005 not 1970s we want more than a fan to let us sleep in the heat they claim to be the tops of resorts yet no AC what an ezy way to get out of buying a unit when you go to a sales pitch
____chubby__

haole-don
08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
The need for AC depends what part of the country you're from. Here in the midwest our typical summer days are high 80's to mid 90's with relative humidity of 90+%. Our family typically travels to Kauai in July, and we have never seen the need for air-conditioning. With the windows and lanai door open and the breezes coming through, we always need blankets in the evening. I've spent lots of time hiking on Kauai in July, and have yet to experience discomforting humidity.

Our experience on the Big Island this July (Sea Village on the Kona Coast, no AC) was identical. Cool evenings and nice breezes - great sleeping weather!

Given the opposing view from the folks in California, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that their summer weather is a bit drier than the midwest...

Reminds me of our trip to Arizona last July. We commented on the beautiful the weather, and the locals complained that it was in fact quite humid that day (20% RH) and it dragged on them. I suspect they would need scuba gear to walk in our yard in July.

taffy19
08-07-2005, 06:49 PM
So true, as I remember being in Houston once for a week and felt like walking in a greenhouse. :wink:

2hokies
09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Does the Cliff Club in Kauai have A/C.
I don't think the Cliffs Club has A/C. We stayed there in 2003 with friends. If you opened a window in the front and the back of the unit, you had MORE than enough breeze blowing through to cool!!

We stayed at the Waiohai in April of this year and we did use the A/C. Our unit got straight afternoon sun and there was no option of cross ventilation unless we opened the front door of the unit (they specifically said don't keep your door open). We were pretty far back from the beach so in addition to keeping the blinds closed, A/C was our only cooling option. I was happy to have it.

Cheers from HUMID VA!
Cathy :biggrin:

riverdees05
09-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Does anyone have a list of the resorts in Hawaii that have Air Conditioning?

bigfrank
09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have a list of the resorts in Hawaii that have Air Conditioning?

Eric IMO it may be easier to make a list of units that do not have AC, Since most units do have AC.

:cig:

Tetta
09-15-2005, 12:11 PM
As in most things, where you are coming from does make a difference. Once Bill and I came from Guam to Hawaii and huddled under a blanket while my parents coming from Indiana in winter were hot. At some tropical timeshares air conditioning is available for a monitored extra cost, which I think is fairer than charging the owner. :wavey:

T. R. Oglodyte
09-15-2005, 04:29 PM
A/C units corrode very quickly in the salt air at many locations (such as the Embassy). Maybe at locations such as Princeville (where the resorts are on a bluff and further from the ocean) this wouldn't be as significant.

=================

Providing and operating A/C is a significant extra cost. I like the notion of applying a surcharge for A/C. Let those peopole who want it pay for it. Those who don't want it can enjoy windows open, the tradewinds, and the sounds of the surf and the parking lot.

bigfrank
09-15-2005, 04:38 PM
A/C units corrode very quickly in the salt air at many locations (such as the Embassy).
=================

The Embassy has no AC :wow: You would think a large resort like that they would. This is news to me. BTW it is a realy nice large resort. We visted it for a day.

T. R. Oglodyte
09-15-2005, 05:16 PM
The Embassy has no AC :wow: You would think a large resort like that they would. This is news to me. BTW it is a realy nice large resort. We visted it for a day.
The Embassy Poipu does have A/C in the bedroom units.

Embassy Maui is essentially a hotel, and has building A/C.

riverdees05
09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Before when I saw that a lot of Hawaii resorts did not have A/C, I wasn't concerned. I have lived in the midwest all my life and I guess I didn't remember living without A/C (my father installed in it our house in 1963). But this past week, I was in Colorado and the unit we had, didn't have A/C. It wasn't the temperature or humidity that was a problem, it was the sounds - cars on the road, other timeshares a night (and probably my grandkids to others in the morning), etc. I guess I forgot how lound it is without the windows closed! So my issue is more sound pollution :link:

Anne1125
10-08-2005, 08:19 AM
We're going to Hawaii next summer and ac was top on our "must have" list. Next was 2 bedroom, next was close to beach. We also prefer a washer/dryer on vacation.

We managed to get most of what we wanted. Imperial on Honolulu does not have w/d in unit. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Can't wait for this trip.

Anne

jmatias
10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Many timeshares don't have ACs so when you come here you can truly feel how it is to be a Kamaaina....sticky and sweating :biggrin:

Actually, still many homes here do not have ACs except for the new construction homes.

We recently bought a new "old home" and before moving in I wondered why every room had a ceiling fan with 3 ceiling fans in the kitchen alone...well after this past summer I know why.

So, even being local, I want AC in my vacation unit.

Aloha,
Jen

bigfrank
10-16-2005, 06:52 PM
It's not just in Hawaii that units do not have AC. In Montauk Long Island NY a lot of Hotels do not have AC. Yet they still charge over $200 a night. According from what I was told they do not need it there in the heat of the Summer because the ocean provides a Summer Breeze. Yea Right When I saw the room I ran as fast as I could and booked Gurney's.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back