PDA

View Full Version : Lobster: steaming vs. boiling

Glitter Brunello
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Having just gotten back from Maine, I am wondering...

Whenever I cook lobster at home, I boil it. A grisly job, but I am pretty good at putting them in head first for a quick end (though I had to take a break when DS starting giving them names)... I have two lobster pots, one that is good for two lobsters if 1.5 to 2 lbs each, and a larger one.

But when we had them in Maine, they were steamed... I am certain that steaming retains more of the flavor than boiling

So, my questions... how much grislier is it to steam them? Do I use the same tall pots I use for boiling, or do I need something wider/shallower? Can I do more than one a at a time? Etc...

If anyone is interested, I have info for a great place that ships them overnight, I brought a few back for dinner on Saturday at home, they were delicious (even though I boiled them...)

lawren2
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
I would be afraid steaming them that they'd thrash around too much. That heartless a beyotch I am not. :mrgreen:

Put them on the grill instead. Get a big brick to hold them down. Close the cover. 5 minutes later flip them. No bricks necessary at this point. :wink: 5 minutes more covered they are done.

ArtsieAng
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I always eat steamed Lobster, because I think it is much juicier than broiled. Boiling them will most likely remove some of the flavor, so I would do that.....To steam them, you still use a large pot, but you should put a steamer insert, or a rack so that the lobsters are above the water. When the water comes to a rolling boil, put the lobsters in the pot. They will cook very quickly. As soon as they turn bright red, they are done.

ArtsieAng
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I would be afraid steaming them that they'd thrash around too much. That heartless a beyotch I am not. :mrgreen:

Put them on the grill instead. Get a big brick to hold them down. Close the cover. 5 minutes later flip them. No bricks necessary at this point. :wink: 5 minutes more covered they are done.

Yeah, I'd prefer for someone else to actually put them in the pot. But I find it difficult to do, no matter the method.

Glitter Brunello
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Lawren, it's the thrashing/squirming I'm worried about. Angela, have you tried it?

And there is NO WAY I'm pinning them under a brick on the grill :eek:

ArtsieAng
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Lawren, it's the thrashing/squirming I'm worried about. Angela, have you tried it?

Yes....but I make who ever is around put them in the pot. :abused:

They cook pretty quickly, tho. After they start turning red, maybe 5 minutes, or so, and they're done.

ArtsieAng
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
OK, I wans't going to mention this, but once, I heard them screaming from the pot. :woot: :abused:

grest
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I'll put them in the pot, watch someone else put them in the pot, not see it happen at all...just as long as I get to eat it!
Connie

Glitter Brunello
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
PS.....OK, I wans't going to mention this, but once, I heard them screaming from the pot. :woot: :abused:

I have heard them do that when I boil them, I can't imagine it going on for longer as I imagine it would if I steam them... and I am the only one in the house who can put them in the pot.

lawren2
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM

It's easier for the chicken shit <me> than stabbing and killing them, splitting them and putting them under the broiler. My downstairs neighbor had to do THAT! Didn't bother him in the least. Now I live in the suburbs and don't have a downstairs neighbor. :cry2:

lawren2
07-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I'll put them in the pot, watch someone else put them in the pot, not see it happen at all...just as long as I get to eat it!
Connie

I say let's invite Connie. She has no conscience. :mrgreen:

ArtsieAng
07-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I have heard them do that when I boil them, I can't imagine it going on for longer as I imagine it would if I steam them... and I am the only one in the house who can put them in the pot.

I can't really say, because I have never boiled one. But, I'm guessing it would be similar.

Joe L
07-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I pour a little watered down Vodka over them prior to boiling. They loosen their muscles, making the meat more tender, and have no idea that the end is near.

Glitter Brunello
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I pour a little watered down Vodka over them prior to boiling. They loosen their muscles, making the meat more tender, and have no idea that the end is near.

Seriously? Do you water it down bc you are trying to use your vodka sparingly, or bc you are afraid that full strength it will be, er, overkill? :abused:

I can see doing this prior to steaming if it would really help...

Glitter Brunello
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
It's easier for the chicken shit <me> than stabbing and killing them, splitting them and putting them under the broiler. My downstairs neighbor had to do THAT! Didn't bother him in the least. Now I live in the suburbs and don't have a downstairs neighbor. :cry2:

Years ago, I got all excited when I found soft shell crabs at the fish market. Then I learned what I would have to do to prepare them, and it was all over. So I order all the soft shells I can find while eating out during soft shell season... but if I had Grest around....:lol:

kbletzer
07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
As kids growing up at our beach house in Plymouth, our parents were always bringing home lobsters from the local trappers. We were pretty freaked out and actually found that you could put them to sleep by rubbing between their eyes for a bit before you put them into the steamer.

Now living down south and missing NE lobsters and clams I wouldn't give it a second thought putting those babies into the pot! HEH HEH:grin:

taffy19
07-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I pour a little watered down Vodka over them prior to boiling. They loosen their muscles, making the meat more tender, and have no idea that the end is near.This sounds a little more humane to me. I wouldn't want to do this ever no matter how good it tastes. If you think about it, you would never eat any meat, fish or chicken because someone had to kill them. I just try not to think about it but to do the job myself, no way Jose.

IreneLF
07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm exactly with Emmy/iconnections on that. There's not a chance I could do it myself and if I think too long about any of it (meat, lobsters, whatever) I'd never eat any of them again.
Fortunately I've had proximity to fish markets that will cook them for you, but if i had Grest as a next door neighbor...:lol:

rklein01
07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
The Annie Hall lobster scene starts in this YouTube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BayFaUXwrAk)at the 7:42 mark

grest
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I say let's invite Connie. She has no conscience. :mrgreen:

Good one! :scissors: But you're right: when it comes to these delicious crustaceans, there is no conscience in sight.
Connie

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back