PDA

View Full Version : Just Bottled 47-1/2 bottles of Syrah and ...

vintner
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I just finished bottling wine, and if my typing and spelling gets bad, I taste as I bottle to make sure the blending is right. Wine will need some bottle aging, but I think the wine will be okay. Some nice legs showing on the glass, little light on fruit, tannins will be okay in a while when they settle down a bit.

I blended syrah with 1 bottle Barbara and 1/2 bottle Grenache, bottled 2 cases of that, and syrah with 1 bottle Merlot and 1/2 bottle Grenache and bottled 2 cases of that blend. Subtle differences between the two, but it makes it interesting.

That is about 10 gallons of wine that was bottled. Funny thing is, when I pressed off the grapes in Sept. I had 12 gallons. I lost 2 gallons to racking and tastings during the season. Two gallons would have been another case.

Next weekend, I hope (but not betting on it) that I will be able to have adjusted, blended and bottled 2 cases of 'Muscrat wine', our name for Muscat. I am making this in my wife's wine style, sweeter, little higher acid. Not to the style of a desert wine, but close. She won't drink much of it, but it will be a big hit at the next "Wine Reduction Party", turkey in the smoker, pork on the grill and wine wine wine.

Maybe the muscrat will be the wine I enter at the Renaissance Festival next Sept.

bigfrank
05-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I like the idea of tasting as you go, my friend Jimmy did not make his wine last year because I did not go to help. I offered to pay for the grapes but he said no he wanted help. This year I will try to make my first wine with him.

ArtsieAng
05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I like the idea of tasting as you go, my friend Jimmy did not make his wine last year because I did not go to help. I offered to pay for the grapes but he said no he wanted help. This year I will try to make my first wine with him.

I'm envisioning the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Vivian where stomping the grapes with their feet. :p

vintner
05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm envisioning the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Vivian where stomping the grapes with their feet. :p

Oh no, big crushing party. Guy that brings in the grapes from Lodi area of Cal. get tons of grapes. I pre-order, so I get what I want. We crush grapes with a motorized crusher for about 4 hours. Then...we bring out our wines, and potluck and more wines. Good time, good information from other winemakers, mostly good wines. I brought a smoked salmon last year, a Sauv Blanc and a 'fairy blend'-used drunken fairies on some of my wine labels. It was a blend of several wines, came out pretty nice.

I have been doing this for...OMG...23 years? Has it been that long? Am I that old now? I guess wine drinking does keep you young...and cool :cool:.

ArtsieAng
05-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Don,

You sound like you are a pro at this, and I'm sure that your wine is wonderful. You certainly seem to enjoy your hobby, and who could blame you. Good wine...good food...good people...good times. :D

GrayFal
05-10-2008, 05:19 PM
It certainly sounds interesting - every day it amazes me what I read on this site!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back