PDA

View Full Version : Removing programs in systray

jericap
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I have several programs that start up in what I thought was the System tray (near the clock on the lower right hand side of most computers)
I am trying to get rid of some of them. I don't need quicktime to start, Kodak gallery updater takes so much memory, I better not be doing anything when that comes up..

I have gone into the start up menu, can't find them.

Anyone have suggestions?

Keitht
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
This link (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,73163-page,1/article.html) explains how to do it.

jericap
04-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Keith..I will try it.

JLB
04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I've always wanted to do that, get rid of the useless junk, but the warnings about deleting some programs, not knowing which ones, has always stopped me.

But, I still wish I could get rid of the useless clutter, and see what happens. Maybe I could keep Ole POC another century. :cool:

JLB
04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I read the article in Keith's link, and it pretty much discouraged me from giving it a try.

When the articles intended to simplify seem complex . . . .

jericap
04-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I looked around last night in some files..the ones that are currently in the systray I will keep, but when I do a reboot, I will get those others that are hanging in there. I usually take them out once they are in there. I just want to stop them from loading. I will let you know of the progress.

Keitht
04-05-2008, 06:09 AM
I read the article in Keith's link, and it pretty much discouraged me from giving it a try.

When the articles intended to simplify seem complex . . . .

You're right Jim. My motto is "If in doubt, do nowt" "Nowt" being a northern English corruption of "Nothing".
It does seem ridiculous that what would seem to be a simple task of permanently removing unwanted functions should actually be so convoluted. That's Microsoft for you. :(

jericap
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I followed the instructions and removed the programs that I wanted removed. Some of them were as easy as just deleting them from start menu. Others I went into and found the option to start when the system boots and unchecked it.

Now it doesn't take as much time to load...thank goodness. :banana: Before I did this I could have made a pot of coffee while waiting for everything to load.

T. R. Oglodyte
04-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) is a wonderful utility. After installation, it shows up in your control panel. You can use it to specify exactly which programs load at startup.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back