PDA

View Full Version : My favorite wine got wine of the year awards

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
If you recall I had bought that very expensive 3 litter bottle of 2004 Antinori Tignanello. It is in the top 4 wines of the year.:banana:

</title> <meta name="DESCRIPTION" content=""> <meta name="KEYWORDS" content=""> <style type="text/css"> BODY { scrollbar-face-color: 180800; scrollbar-arrow-color: #FFFFFF; background-image: url('../images/canvas_319.gif') } .topsec {border-color: ef (http://www.sokolin.com/shop/)

Luanne
11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I bow down to you. :cool:

wackymother
11-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Me too! When's the tasting? :biggrin:

vintner
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll bring my good Riedel stemware. You name the place.
Gee, I hope I have enough stemware for all.

ArtsieAng
11-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Did I hear something about a wine tasting party? :biggrin:

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Did I hear something about a wine tasting party? :biggrin:

Actually I am doing a wine tasting party at Our Lady of Hope school , Date so far looks like March 29 $10 PP if you buy tickets in Advance. All monies go to a good cause.

vintner
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I am surprised that, even for charity, you can have wine in a school. Guess our liberal Minnesota laws are more conservative than other states.

BTW-the wine tasting I did for the DW's group a week ago, of 20 people expected, 5 showed up. We ended up inviting some friends so we got it up to 11. That wasn't the tasting group I was expecting. Those that did show up got to taste a syrah that is in the tank, very young but showing great promises.

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I am surprised that, even for charity, you can have wine in a school. Guess our liberal Minnesota laws are more conservative than other states.

BTW-the wine tasting I did for the DW's group a week ago, of 20 people expected, 5 showed up. We ended up inviting some friends so we got it up to 11. That wasn't the tasting group I was expecting. Those that did show up got to taste a syrah that is in the tank, very young but showing great promises.

Well the proceeds are going to a Catholic charity so that might have something to do with them allowing us to use the School. We are discounting the tickets half price if you purchase the tickets prior. At the door will be $20 PP , prior is $10. We are hoping to have 250 tickets sold.

ArtsieAng
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Actually I am doing a wine tasting party at Our Lady of Hope school , Date so far looks like March 29 $10 PP if you buy tickets in Advance. All monies go to a good cause.

$10.00 a ticket sounds like a deal to me. Sounds like fun, and it's for a good cause, as well.

Let me know when you've finalized the date. I should be around the end of March.....Hey, maybe we can put together a group from TS4M's. :biggrin:

Luanne
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM

My guess is that it's private vs public school. I know we couldn't serve alcohol on site at the public schools, so many of our school charity functions were held off-site. :beer:

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM
$10.00 a ticket sounds like a deal to me. Sounds like fun, and it's for a good cause, as well.

Let me know when you've finalized the date. I should be around the end of March.....Hey, maybe we can put together a group from TS4M's. :biggrin:

That would be nice to have a get together during this event. All the winos will come out of hiding.:p I will keep you guys posted.

wackymother
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
It's a parochial school. When our kids were in private school, I remember a few wine-and-cheese evenings in the multipurpose room. Actually, wine would have made those ghastly talent shows a little less painful (you know, the ones where you realize that the kids in this school have absolutely no talent whatsoever).

Public schools are different; I've never seen anybody cracking open a bottle in a public school. I'm not sure if it's law that you can't serve alcohol in a public school, but it's an unspoken rule.

lawren2
11-15-2007, 05:53 PM
That would be nice to have a get together during this event. All the winos will come out of hiding.:p I will keep you guys posted.

Did someone say wine and get together in the same post? I return from Grand Cayman March 23rd. :D

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
OK wine tasting event is on, I just got the call and we have the Auditorium on March 29 7pm to when ever. We are getting 300 tickets printed so as soon as I get them I will post in the NY forum.

ArtsieAng
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
OK wine tasting event is on, I just got the call and we have the Auditorium on March 29 7pm to when ever. We are getting 300 tickets printed so as soon as I get them I will post in the NY forum.

Frank,

Really sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks!

happymum
11-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Actually, wine would have made those ghastly talent shows a little less painful (you know, the ones where you realize that the kids in this school have absolutely no talent whatsoever).

My personal favorite was the young fellow that belched the alphabet! :offtopic:

PS The wine-tasting sounds like fun too!

billymach4
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Frank,

Reserve 2 tickets for me. Maybe 3? These winos will be there!:beer:
My cup runeth over

bigfrank
11-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Frank,

Reserve 2 tickets for me. Maybe 3? These winos will be there!:beer:
My cup runeth over

I will post in the NY forum when I have the tickets then everyone can eitherr pick up the tickets or you can send a check and I will get them mailed out. I can reserve 1 ,2 or 3 tables for TS4Ms members.

billymach4
11-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I will post in the NY forum when I have the tickets then everyone can eitherr pick up the tickets or you can send a check and I will get them mailed out. I can reserve 1 ,2 or 3 tables for TS4Ms members.

Frank,

When you get the tickets I can pick them up. Let's go out for pizza in the old neighborhood. I remember you once posted that the best pizza was a few blocks away from you. Rosa's pizza? Anyway pizza's on me! If anyone else wants to meet that would be great as well.

bigfrank
11-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Frank,

When you get the tickets I can pick them up. Let's go out for pizza in the old neighborhood. I remember you once posted that the best pizza was a few blocks away from you. Rosa's pizza? Anyway pizza's on me! If anyone else wants to meet that would be great as well.

Sounds good and we can have a bottle of wine at my house.

billymach4
11-17-2007, 07:45 PM
You got it!

johnmfaeth
11-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Tignanello is a great wine that has an interesting history. The house of Antinori has gotten in conflict (since the 80's) with the Tuscan wine authorities for selling this as a Tuscan wine although the content is much closer to a Bordeaux blend. The fight lasted over ten years until the mid-1990's.

I actually met one of his three daughters at a Wine Spectator tasting at the Marriott in NY in the late 80's. She was incredibly outgoing and down to earth, yet refined, for someone who would be an heir to one of the world's great wine dynasties. Being happily married, moved on, wishing my nephew was older :grin:

bigfrank
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Tignanello is a great wine that has an interesting history. The house of Antinori has gotten in conflict (since the 80's) with the Tuscan wine authorities for selling this as a Tuscan wine although the content is much closer to a Bordeaux blend. The fight lasted over ten years until the mid-1990's.

I actually met one of his three daughters at a Wine Spectator tasting at the Marriott in NY in the late 80's. She was incredibly outgoing and down to earth, yet refined, for someone who would be an heir to one of the world's great wine dynasties. Being happily married, moved on, wishing my nephew was older :grin:

Believe it or not I ate Café Antinori in Switzerland , Very good food . I expected to see there Restaurant When I was in Italy not Switzerland. They had every wine from every vintage available. Prices went to over $1000 Euros for some of the older Wines including Tignanello. I paid 18 Euros for a Glass of Peppoli. I can get a Bottle here for $23 plus tax.

bigfrank
11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
NIce wine right now on Wines 'Til Sold Out (http://www.happyhourspro.com/store/wtso/html/store/index.htm)

Casanova di Neri
Rosso di Montalcino 2003
FREE SHIPPING on 3 or more!!
Original:
$31.99

Yesterday's Best Web:
(including cost of shipping*)
$24.19

Our Price:
$14.99

RATINGS/SCORES:
***54% Off!!***54% Off!!***54% Off!!***

*****EXQUISITE ROSSO di MONTALCINO****

***************UNBEATABLE!

This younger sister to Casanova's Brunellos is exceptional. A young wine that was really good when released has now matured and mellowed retaining its fresh and remarkably fruity character. It's positively delicious!

"A fairly deep, oxblood-tinged hue. Bright, aromatic, smoky cherry fruit on the nose, with a little herby, leafy element to it. Fresh, medium bodied style on the palate, with a nice seamless texture. Good tannins give some grip through the midpalate and finish, and there is surprisingly crisp acidity bearing in mind the hot vintage. Fresh, red and black fruit character, leading to a lovely, sappy-savoury finish. An excellent Rosso."

We'll be drinking this extensively over the coming year...join us!
(Product description)

UNIT SIZE: 750ml
VARIETAL: Sangiovese
VINTAGE: 2003
REGION: Tuscany

bigfrank
11-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Looks like there are some nice desert wines on Woot Wine : One Week, One Wine (SM) (http://www.wine.woot.com) this week

Glitter Brunello
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Looks like there are some nice desert wines on Woot Wine : One Week, One Wine (SM) (http://www.wine.woot.com) this week

Frank, have you tried these? Are they as fruity as they sound? I usually stick with a Sauternes, or a Muscat for something less spendy...

bigfrank
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Frank, have you tried these? Are they as fruity as they sound? I usually stick with a Sauternes, or a Muscat for something less spendy...

Have not had these but I have many Muscats and my wife likes them. These sound good.

bigfrank
11-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Avery I went for it. Use code bigpond to save Shipping and I think it might get you a free bottle

Glitter Brunello
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I missed this morning's Barullo, but the Terriccio Lupicaia up now is killing me. I can't keep buying these pricey bottles, but they are at such a discount it's hard not to... :banghead:

bigfrank
11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I missed this morning's Barullo, but the Terriccio Lupicaia up now is killing me. I can't keep buying these pricey bottles, but they are at such a discount it's hard not to... :banghead:

The Barullo and the CA Zin before that had me itching. NO more untill I make room

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back