PDA

View Full Version : Del Monte to cease pineapple operations

lawren2
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/3630317.html

Sad. I always think of pineapples and Hawaii together. How will this affect the local economy?

Carol C
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/3630317.html

Sad. I always think of pineapples and Hawaii together. How will this affect the local economy?

Sucks. Pretty soon there will be no jobs left in the US except at Walmart.

bigfrank
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Do they own Dole also. My son came in 3rd place on finishing the maze. he did it in about under 9 min. In fact he still wears his shirt that he got for doing that, He had it on 2 days ago if I remember correctly.

Now if Campbell owns the property why not make Campbells Pineapple soup?:biggrin:

Since the price of land is so high I can understand wht the costs are so expensive. More room now for timeshares to be built.:eek:

BocaBum99
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
They make more money selling Dole Whip than Pineapples anyway. They probably use imported Pineapples from Chile

StressCadet
02-04-2006, 04:08 AM
They make more money selling Dole Whip than Pineapples anyway. They probably use imported Pineapples from Chile

Hey now-I love Dole Whip :wink:

zee
02-07-2006, 06:53 PM
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/oahuhonolulu/a/pineapple_2006a.htm

is the link to the article. Del Monte's decision leaves only two companies which grow pineapple in Hawaii - Dole Food Hawaii and Maui Pineapple Co.

zee
02-07-2006, 06:53 PM
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/oahuhonolulu/a/pineapple_2006a.htm

is the link to the article. Del Monte's decision leaves only two companies which grow pineapple in Hawaii - Dole Food Hawaii and Maui Pineapple Co.

jmatias
02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Once Del Monte goes who knows how long Dole & Maui Pine will go on with pine. As it is Maui Pine loses $$$ on its pine production...

3blessings
02-16-2006, 11:33 PM
too bad...I was planning on taking my kids there... was fun for a 1st timer...

daventrina
03-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Seem like no one cares where their food comes.
We always buy USA food products when we can.
Like:
Hawaiian Coffee
Hawaiian Mangos
Hawaiian Papaya
Hawaiian Pineapple
you get the idea...

We love the islands and the food that is grown there. And when we can't find it, and they ask "did you find everything you were looking for?" we always complain and we complain to the produce manager.
AA lot of the time it helps. In savemart the other day we couldn't find any papayas from Hawaii, only Mexico. We complained to the produce manager that we couldn't find what we needed. He said they are expensive but he'd see what he could find. We told him, "sometimes you just have to pay extra."
A week later, there were out papayas from Molokai. They were about $1 more at $3.49 but boy were they good. No papaya beats a strawberry from Hawaii :biggrin:

lovetoroam
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope that they don't completely pull out of the pineapple market. Always one thing we always count on bringing home!:wink:

4ARedOctober
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I was talking to one of the owners of the guava farm on the north shore of Kauai and they may not be around much longer either. The demand for land and the price they can get will soon be too tempting....in fact they already have an agreement for sale it is just a matter of timing from what he told me. It was a neat place to go check out.

taffy19
03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Some of the other pineapple farms (Dole Food Hawaii and Maui Pineapple Company) are planning to stay but for how much longer is a question mark? If everyone sells to real estate developers, Maui will no longer stay the preferred tourist spot or to live there. The roads do not warrant that much traffic and you will fall over the bodies on the beach. Who wants that?

I also read that Del Monte was going to do organic farming of other crops but can't remember where I read it. I read so much about so many topics I am interested in.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back