PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii owners--how often do you actually go to your resort?

bujuni
01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I would love to own in Hawaii but we live in the east coast. With any luck, we will probably can go there every 3 to 4 years. Kids are still young and most of our timeshare vacations are usually in Orlando(Disney, of course) and Williamsburg.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I would love to own in Hawaii but we live in the east coast. With any luck, we will probably can go there every 3 to 4 years. Kids are still young and most of our timeshare vacations are usually in Orlando(Disney, of course) and Williamsburg.
Probably four out of five years. The fifth year we're ready for a break, so we visit a different resort in Hawaii.

Faust
01-29-2006, 12:32 PM
We have gone to our resort the Embassy Vacation Resort in Poipu Point Kauai, every year for the last six years.

barndweller
01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
At least until now. We are considering going every other year after this year because we now own in Arizona and the costs to go to Hawaii have gone up a lot. Our reasons for travel have also changed over the years. We have become warm winter weather seekers. Arizona is more ecconomical for that purpose.
Julie

rifleman69
01-29-2006, 03:54 PM
At least until now. We are considering going every other year after this year because we now own in Arizona and the costs to go to Hawaii have gone up a lot. Our reasons for travel have also changed over the years. We have become warm winter weather seekers. Arizona is more ecconomical for that purpose.
Julie

Yeah my wife and I have been to Hawaii the past two summers (one was honeymoon on Big Island and Maui) and will be going back again this year to Kauai. May or may not go back in 2007 (depending on if we can get a few people to go over with us), but will most likely skip a year in 2007 or 2008.

That's the one thing that kills Hawaii for many people...you can't drive there. Mexico (a bit difficult and long but it can be done if necessary), Canada, California, Arizona are all drivable for us from Oregon. I don't envy people who own in Hawaii and live from roughly Chicago eastward...that's a long flight just to get there and back (even if you break it up with a stop over on the West Coast).

EvelynK72
01-29-2006, 07:39 PM
We try to go every year. If we don't make it one year, it usually turns out that we go twice the next year.

Evelyn

T. R. Oglodyte
01-29-2006, 07:50 PM
To add to my previous reply, after traveling to Hawai`i a couple of years, we decided that it made a lot more sense to visit for two weeks instead of one. We use Embassy as a "fixed" location, then spend the second week elsewhere - usually a different island. This year I want to spend the first week on Hawai`i (or, even better, Molokai), then finish up in Kaua`i.

Faust
01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
. This year I want to spend the first week on Hawai`i (or, even better, Molokai), then finish up in Kaua`i.

We have that trip planed for next year.

nanc65093
01-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I would love to own in Hawaii too. However airfare from Minnesota and income don't always keep in sync.:roll: So..our master plan at this point is to use our Orlando weeks every other year and trade for Hawaii within SVN the opposite. Hope it keeps working out:smile:

bigfrank
01-29-2006, 10:46 PM
How is Molokai compaired to the other island. I have been to the 4 main ones allready. Each was different. Is this one different as well.

Danny Titus
01-30-2006, 01:59 AM
We own at 3 resorts on the Big Island. Usually go twice a year for 3 weeks at a time.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-30-2006, 02:00 AM
I would love to own in Hawaii too. However airfare from Minnesota and income don't always keep in sync.:roll: So..our master plan at this point is to use our Orlando weeks every other year and trade for Hawaii within SVN the opposite. Hope it keeps working out:smile:
How much can you charge on credit cards per year? How much do you fly?

Most people, if they want make getting to Hawaii a priority, can find enough items to charge to a credit card that they can get accumulate enough miles for two tickets to Hawaii every other year or so. Do you have any credit cards with merchants that also accept Visa or MC (Sears, Macys, Home Depot, etc). Drop those and use your VISA travel benefirts card. We have a Wachovia Visa card that works well for travel purposes.

After being laid off and becoming self eimployted, I have even more opportunities to charge things to my VISA, and can generate just about enough miles for two tickets every year.

bigeyes1
01-31-2006, 12:09 AM
We go to Kauai every other year and love every minute of it. That's why we bought an EOY timeshare. If it weren't so expensive, we would go every year. But we're content....

nanc65093
01-31-2006, 08:39 AM
You're right about trying to use a visa that generates miles. We had been using our World Perks Visa but with the uncertainty surrounding NWA now we're burning NWA miles and switching to our Starwood where we can transfer miles to any airline. For many years in Minnesota NWA pretty much had the Hawaii market cornered. That's changing now. Nancy:)

JROBIN
01-31-2006, 03:11 PM
We stay at our units (Kona and Maui) for 2 weeks on an annual basis. I wish we could visit the islands more frequently, but the 8-9 hour flight is a killer.

tennisWalt
02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
We own at the Maui Embassy every other year. (odd years) We spend one week at the Embassy and then exchange into another Resort or into the Embassy for a 2nd Week.

Walt :smile:

We are set for Jan. 2007 with our owners week and an exchange week to Kauai. :banana:

I-DE-HO
02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
We own at the Maui Embassy every other year. (odd years) We spend one week at the Embassy and then exchange into another Resort or into the Embassy for a 2nd Week.

We are set for Jan. 2007 with our owners week and an exchange week to Kauai. :banana:

Maybe we can get together in Maui. We've got one exchange to Kahana Falls & hope to spend the first 2 or 3 weeks on Maui. Then maybe we'll use our EOY week at Mauna Loa Village. We boght MLV to use & not trade. But you never know!:cool:

Phil

I-DE-HO
02-08-2006, 08:31 PM

Maybe we can get together in Maui. We've got one exchange to Kahana Falls & hope to spend the first 2 or 3 weeks on Maui. Then maybe we'll use our EOY week at Mauna Loa Village. We boght MLV to use & not trade. But you never know!:cool:

Phil

teepeeca
02-12-2006, 02:35 AM
We missed using one of our timeshares on Kauai---owned since 1998 --- one time. Hurrican Iniki wouldn't let us go in 1992.

We are lucky in that we can use (and trade/get bonus weeks) for Hawaii every year, which lets us be there 3-5 times per year, for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Tony

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back