PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Molokai?

haole-don
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
We love Kauai, and only recently have started exploring the other islands. So we recently traded a week thru HTSE and will be spending a week on Molokai next summer prior to our stay on Kauai.

And although 500+ days away, it's never too early to start dreaming. We would certainly appreciate any suggestions or advice from folks who have visited. We enjoy hiking, kayaking, exploring, and hanging out on the beach.
And there may be a couple of teens with us (ages 18, 19), although they may not join us until Kauai.

Thanks.

moonlightgraham
02-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Haole Don,
Like the nickname! I own at the one and only timeshare on Molokai but have only been once back in 2000. I use it mainly for exchange. I may be going back in May, if an exchange to Maui or Kauai (my favorite isle) doesn't come thru.

Anyway, as to things to do, the foremost thing on the island not to be missed is the Kaluapapa (?) peninsula home to the infamous Leper Colony of Hawaii that was used at the turn of the century and still houses some residents to this day, even though the disease has long had a cure. The area is actually very beautiful but the history provides a very enlightening case study in how inhuman humans can be in the face of an unknown danger. It is a very dark stain on Hawaiian history, but one that must be remembered.

As to more physical pursuits on the western end of the island where you will be staying is the Molokai Lodge which conducts organized mountainbike rides and hikes. Like most Hawaiian Islands the western end is drier and more gentle rolling hills while the eastern portion is more lush with much more dramatic scenary. The seacliffs are the tallest in the world. Taller even then Kauai's renowned NaPali Coast!

If I do go in May I will report back with the latest info on the island!
Tom

T. R. Oglodyte
02-04-2006, 08:05 PM
If Tom doesn't make it, I'll post a report. Well, I'll probably do one anyway,whether or not Tom does.

I just confirmed our Molokai exchange this morning (with HTSE), and we'll be doing similar to you - one week on Molokai, followed by a week at of our home resort on Kauai(Embassy).

After this trip, the only large island we'll have left to visit is Lanai.. We almost always go back to Kauai, and try to back our week in Poipu with a week someplacxe else - usually another island, but a couple of years ago we spent a week in Princeville before heading to Poipu. That was also nice - two weeks on Kauai is definitely not overdoing things.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back