PDA

View Full Version : Is Hawaii the place to buy?

Sharp Traveler
01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello all, I've been a lurker for a while, this is my first post.
My husband and I own at Westgate Flamingo Bay in Las Vegas and are skeptical on how this might exchange into hawaii and Cabo. My hubby thinks we should buy in cabo with the thought that we would use it often, I on the other hand, think we should buy in Hawaii since it's so hard to get into, it should exchange for whatever we want(ie Cabo). He has no desire to go to Hawaii but once, do to the loooong plane ride(we live in Montana)(he's 6'5" and 275lbs. This makes for uncomfortable plane rides). A few things I don't like about buying in Cabo are the ts are rtu rather than deeded, I think I'd prefer deeded. Also, there seems to be a lack of 3 bedroom units available and the maintenance fees seem higher than most in Hawaii.
Does anyone have any experience with this issue or thoughts and suggestions? Any help is appreciated.
Kirsten(Sharp Traveler).

bigfrank
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
In Hawaii the MF are high, I would avoid buying there unless I was to use it every year. Look to use the alternate exchange companies that are in this board Like, HTSE, SFX, DAE. I think you can exchange into Hawaii or Cabo with them with out any trouble.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I would cosider a resort grouip that has resorts in locations you are interested in. That way you can reserve the locations you want without hassling with exchanges.

I think Worldmark would probably be your best option. Worldamark has resorts in the locations you are interested in, as well as many other places in the western US.

Raintree Vacation Club also has resorts in Cabo (and a lot of other Mexico locations) and Hawaii. RVC also has some other locations in western North America that might also be of interest to you (Whistler, Palm Desert, Utah, Wyoming, Las Vegas). RVC's Hawaii and Las Vegas inventory is pretty limited, though. We are Raintree owners.

And I agree with Frank that you don't want to own in Hawaii unless you want to visit there regularly. We also own in Hawaii - but we also visit almost every year and are quite happy returning to our home resort four out of every five years.

haole-don
01-27-2006, 06:18 PM
If your expectation is a single trip, I would recommend that you not purchase in Hawaii. As you have noted, the maintenance fees are significant, and they only go up.

You will also see a good supply of rental opportunities at a reasonable price.

Sharp Traveler
01-27-2006, 06:48 PM
but what about buying in Cabo? The mf's seem to be high here as well, but we would probably travel here more often than Hawaii. I just don't want to be scammed! Would you recommend buying a Cabo resale from someone on ebay?

bigfrank
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Stick to buying in the US as most of the international are RTU and expire. US based timeshares are deeded and can be handed down.

Bill4728
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I would cosider a resort group that has resorts in locations you are interested in. That way you can reserve the locations you want without hassling with exchanges.

I think Worldmark would probably be your best option. Worldamark has resorts in the locations you are interested in, as well as many other places in the western US.
This is great advice. There are several point based TS companies but for the west, Worldmark stands out. There are some nicer ones like Club Intrawest and some cheaper one like Monarch Grand, but overall Worldmark seems to have the most locations and the best value of the point based TS in the west.

Remember with point based TS companies, you buy points then use those points to make reservations at the many different locations which that companies owns.
It IS NOT like trading. To trade someone has to reserve a unit, then deposit that unit in a trading pool. To reserve with points, all the units are available and are reserved mostly a first come, first served basis. So if you have enough points and call early enough, you will get your reservation.

Hope that helps

T. R. Oglodyte
01-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Were it not so complex, Raintree could also be a good choice for our OP. Raintree has resorts in the locations she is interested in. Also, with Raintree you can split a platinum membership into a gold and a silver (turning one week into two). With careful selection of the silver week and good marketing, you can rent the silver week and recover most of the annual fee.

Raintree resales are not for the faint of heart, however. The Raintree program has many variables, depending on when the unit was sold, what was purchased, and if it has ever been upgraded. Many owners don't know what they really own - many owner of Club Regina units think they own Raintree and vice versa. Some people think they have points memberships when they don't. So due diligence during purchase is essential.

Sharp Traveler
01-28-2006, 04:18 AM
thanks for your help. I don't know a lot about the points based system just the basic principles and I know there is a lot more to it than that. It looks as though I need to start studying.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
from what you've posted so far, I still think Worldmark is your best option. When we bought our Raintree, it became a choice between Worldamark and Raintree. We ultimately got Raintree because it fit our travel interests better.

There are lots of Worldmark units available on the resale market. Going rates are about 50% of developer pricing.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back