haywards heath
01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Our resort in Florida is suggesting a $5.00 donation to ARDA with our
maintenance fees,we have made it in the past but are wondering how many
members donate.Would appreciate any advice on the matter.Thanks,
Brian

tonyg
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Some make it clear, others don't. ARDA is a developers' organization. I think they can afford to support themselves and I never pay the optional donation. Before contributing, call them and ask them just exactly what they have done and plan to do for you in the future.

gomom
01-16-2006, 01:31 AM
I opted out this time too. I just don't know what they do, and didn't want to take the time to find out.

tonyg
01-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Here is their home page: http://www.arda.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home
Keep in mind that they make a better case for themselves than may actually be the case. The name says it all, American Resort Development Association.

haywards heath
01-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Our resort in Florida is suggesting a $5.00 donation to ARDA with our
maintenance fees,we have made it in the past but are wondering how many
members donate.Would appreciate any advice on the matter.Thanks,
Brian

Thanks you have saved me $5.00

Jerry Sikes
01-16-2006, 09:05 PM
This is my First Time at this so forgive me for being late.

The $3.00 or $5.00 ARDA contribution in question goes to ARDA-ROC and the ROC stands for Resort Owners Collation. All the funds collected are set aside to be used to fight things that directly effect Owners. Such fights have been about Property Taxes, Transiate Occupancy Taxes, Taxes on Exchanges, Federal Taxes on accumulated HOA reserves, and so on. If you go to the ARDA web Page www.arda.org and then clich on ARDA-ROC you can get full details. At Scottsdale Camelback Resort we ask for $3.00 and receive just over $13,000 annually, that means that over 98% of our owners make the contribution. I would highly recommend making the small contribution.

Jerry Sikes

taffy19
01-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi Jerry, I have read some of your articles so am glad that you joined this forum. I am sure that others will be too. :)

However, my feelings towards ARDA are different from yours. They do not even reply to a private letter and email we sent them some time ago. We are just not important enough to them.

So far, they haven't stopped local Governments either charging us extra taxes either like in Maui this year. Are they really able to make a difference for timeshare owners? I doubt it. I believe that they are more useful to big developers mainly.

If we own more than one timeshare, they are trying to collect more than one fee which irritates us too. We won't contribute anymore, if we have a choice, until they at least reply to our letter and email we sent them some time ago. JMHO.

Emmy

Jerry Sikes
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Emmy

I did miss responding to the comments about ARDA not responding to e-mails or letters you sent sometime ago. If you can provide me with copies or something I will assure you that you will get a reply. There has been a lot of turnover in the staff ranks is recent history, however, I am sure that if Howard Nusbaum (ARDA) President knew that responses were not forthcomming there would be more turnover.

Jerry

taffy19
01-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Jerry, thank you for your message here. I will contact you privately after we return from Mexico on February 11. It is too hard for me trying to find copies of all our correspondence we have had with these resorts and what ccs we sent to ARDA. We are still dealing with two of the three resorts. :cry2:

shopgirl
01-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I donated the $5.00 when Pahio asked for it, although their statements might have you believe that it is mandatory, which made me think about what I had done later on.

There needs to be a little honesty when it comes to timeshare developers. It is a big task.

I do have a question:

Are timeshare owners entitled to names/addresses/phone numbers of all fellow owners in any given complex? Is there any law that supports this or, adversely, prohibits it?

An owner at my timeshare (developer gone 20 years ago) is requesting such a list from the board, of which I am a member, so I voted in favor of giving the list. Others were opposed due to privacy issues. What is right here?

wise one
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Not only did my resort request $5.00 for ARDA (they have included some amount for ARDA for at least the last 10 years), but they also listed a VacationGuard insurance premium for $59.00.

I have no problem with the VacationGuard and I am sure that the ARDA may do some good, but I own two weeks at the same resort and they send me separate bills (for identical units, but at different amounts) and included each on each bill.

I rejected both. I do have vacation insurance, but from another company.

tonyg
01-18-2006, 05:45 PM
That is a good question. On one hand there is the privacy issue and on the other hand it's good if someone really wants to challenge the management of your HOA. I also favor the latter case.

I do have a question:

Are timeshare owners entitled to names/addresses/phone numbers of all fellow owners in any given complex? Is there any law that supports this or, adversely, prohibits it?

An owner at my timeshare (developer gone 20 years ago) is requesting such a list from the board, of which I am a member, so I voted in favor of giving the list. Others were opposed due to privacy issues. What is right here?

rifleman69
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
There has been a lot of turnover in the staff ranks is recent history.
Jerry

All the more reason to NOT pay the $5.00 fee. Thanks but I'm sitting this one out Jerry.

Jerry Sikes
01-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Shopgirl

As to the question about obtaining owners list for Timeshare Resorts.

Each Timeshare / Vacation Ownership Plan usually has a set of legal documents (CC&R's) that spell out such things and they all differ somewhat.

Generally speaking an owner can receive an owners list it such a request can be documented as business affecting the Owners Association and its members and is not for any commercial business. Something like obtaining a list so that you could attempt to get proxies for an election or to change the CC&R's.

Most HOA's are very hesitant because of the value of such lists... They sell for $100's if not $1.000's on the open market to direct mail conpanies.

Jerry Sikes

Carolinian
01-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Shopgirl-

Most HOA's are non-profit coroporations, and corporate law governs. In most states, there is a window prior to the annual meeting, when a non-profit corporation is required to give any member who requests it a list of names and addresses of members for purposes of contacting other members on HOA business. The HOA can charge a reasonable fee for the list and can require the recipient to agree not to use the list for any other purpose. There may also be liability under law for other use of the list. Outside of that time window, the HOA is NOT required to provide a list.

If a member is entitled to the list, and the HOA refuses, they may be liable for the member's legal fees in going to court to get the list.

State laws vary somewhat, but that is the gist of the law of most states in this area.

Carolinian
01-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Shopgirl-

Let me suggest a way to handle this.

Find the agency in the state where the timeshare is located that oversees corporations. In North Carolina, it is the Secretary of State, but it could be called something else there. You can probably research that online. Contact them and ask them to point you to the coporate statute on this issue, and a way to access it on the internet. Print it out and provide copies to other board members and the owner who is asking for the list. This should give you something authoritative to work from in resolving the issue.

Carolinian
01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
SHopgirl-

An example is the North Carolina statute, NCGS 55A-7-20, entitled ''Members list for Meeting''. It requires the non-profit corporation to prepare an alphabetical list of members entitled to vote at the annual meeting, with addresses, and number of votes.

The list has to be availible at the corporate office ''beginning two business days after notice is given of the meeting for which the list was prepared and continuing through the meeting''.

''A member, personally or by or with his represenetavies, is entitled on written demand to inspect and, subject to the limitations of NCGS 55A-16-02(c) and NCGS 55A-16-05 and at his expense, to copy the list at a reasonable time during the period it is availible for inspection.'' The limitations noted have to do with use of the list, which is generally restricted to communicating with members on business of the organization.

There is also a more general right to inspect and copy the membership list in NCGS 55A-16-02, but subject to the same restrictions on use.

Jerry Sikes
03-16-2006, 02:51 PM
As many of you know, I have been an promoting the involvement of Timeshare Owner Associations (HOA / POA) with the American Resort Development Association (ARDA) for many years. As of this posting only 170 such Associations actually belong to ARDA even though the annual membership fee is only $300 per year.

A couple of the stated reasons that more HOA's don't join is; (A) ARDA only represents the interest of developers. (B) The resort management firm represents the HOA's interest.

Both of these reasons are bogus. Everything that goes on within ARDA has impact on HOA's in one way or the other. It's kind of like not registering to vote and then complaining about the actions of those elected by those who do vote.

If one looked at the information about ARDA on its web-site they would find this statement:

The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) is the Washington D.C.-based professional association representing the vacation ownership and resort development industries. Established in 1969, ARDA today has nearly 1,000 members ranging from privately held firms to publicly traded companies and international corporations with interests in timeshare resorts, community development, fractional ownership and resort communities. The membership also includes timeshare owner associations (HOAs), resort management companies, and owners through the ARDA Resort Owners Coalition (ARDA-ROC).

The way ARDA workd is through its governance structure which divides the Association into five Councils: Communications, Education, Legislative, Meetings and Member Services. At the Fall ARDA Conference in Washington DC last November, ARDA established a new or sixth Council: The Resort Operations Council (Resort Ops.)

This new ARDA Council is intended to encompass all aspects of a Timeshare / Vacation Ownership plan Resort other than Development and Sales & Marketing.

The following is the concept as presented to the ARDA Board of Directors:

This Council is proposed as a body to act as a liaison between the current ARDA Board of Directors and Executive Committee and the various entities which make up the operations side of the vacation ownership industry and to act as an oversight body for the various subgroups within resort operations.

The proposed structure is that the Resort Operations Council will be made of eight to twelve individual representatives of resort management, HOA Board Members, smaller, independent sold-out resorts, human resources and hospitality school faculty with an interest in the vacation ownership industry, a representative from ARDA-ROC, and an operations focused vendor.

The current Resort Management Committee will move from the Member Services Council to the new Resort Ops. Council and at least one new committee will be added. THATS THE NEW OPPORTUNITY that is the subject of this posting.

This NEW Committee will be specific to Owner Associations and their Officers and Directors. At this point the working title is Home Owners Association Outreach Committee.

The door has been opened and it there is any real interest in making Timeshare better for those who are owners now is the time.

Give me your thoughts.

Jerry Sikes

tonyg
03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I think I've heard that name before. Jerry, perhaps you should copy and paste this to a new topic if you can't find the ARDA topic we had going a while back.

taffy19
03-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Tony, I remember the thread but can't find it. Was it here or yonder?

bigfrank
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
I think I've heard that name before. Jerry, perhaps you should copy and paste this to a new topic if you can't find the ARDA topic we had going a while back.

I found the thread and moved your post and Jerry's to it.

:cig:

Carolinian
03-16-2006, 06:25 PM
There was an editorial in this month's Timesharing Today contending that there should be more inclusion of individual timeshare owners on the board of ARDA-ROC since it is funded by dues from individual owners.

reddiablosv
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Emmy

I did miss responding to the comments about ARDA not responding to e-mails or letters you sent sometime ago. If you can provide me with copies or something I will assure you that you will get a reply. There has been a lot of turnover in the staff ranks is recent history, however, I am sure that if Howard Nusbaum (ARDA) President knew that responses were not forthcomming there would be more turnover.

Jerry

Jerry, both here and over on tug the issue of supporting ARDA has come up. I have been pro contributing as there is no alternative Political action committee for timeshare owners. I can tell you from the responses I have received that I am in a minority of almost one! The main complaint is a lack of perceived responsiveness to the needs of timeshare owners. An occaisional presence on TMS4Ms or tug would go a long way to changing the minds of a lot of timeshare owners. Ben

tonyg
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
And some kind of action might do even more.

tennisWalt
03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
As many of you know, I have been an promoting the involvement of Timeshare Owner Associations (HOA / POA) with the American Resort Development Association (ARDA) for many years. As of this posting only 170 such Associations actually belong to ARDA even though the annual membership fee is only $300 per year.

A couple of the stated reasons that more HOA's don't join is; (A) ARDA only represents the interest of developers. (B) The resort management firm represents the HOA's interest.

Both of these reasons are bogus. Everything that goes on within ARDA has impact on HOA's in one way or the other. It's kind of like not registering to vote and then complaining about the actions of those elected by those who do vote.

If one looked at the information about ARDA on its web-site they would find this statement:

The American Resort Development Association (ARDA) is the Washington D.C.-based professional association representing the vacation ownership and resort development industries. Established in 1969, ARDA today has nearly 1,000 members ranging from privately held firms to publicly traded companies and international corporations with interests in timeshare resorts, community development, fractional ownership and resort communities. The membership also includes timeshare owner associations (HOAs), resort management companies, and owners through the ARDA Resort Owners Coalition (ARDA-ROC).

The way ARDA workd is through its governance structure which divides the Association into five Councils: Communications, Education, Legislative, Meetings and Member Services. At the Fall ARDA Conference in Washington DC last November, ARDA established a new or sixth Council: The Resort Operations Council (Resort Ops.)

This new ARDA Council is intended to encompass all aspects of a Timeshare / Vacation Ownership plan Resort other than Development and Sales & Marketing.

The following is the concept as presented to the ARDA Board of Directors:

This Council is proposed as a body to act as a liaison between the current ARDA Board of Directors and Executive Committee and the various entities which make up the operations side of the vacation ownership industry and to act as an oversight body for the various subgroups within resort operations.

The proposed structure is that the Resort Operations Council will be made of eight to twelve individual representatives of resort management, HOA Board Members, smaller, independent sold-out resorts, human resources and hospitality school faculty with an interest in the vacation ownership industry, a representative from ARDA-ROC, and an operations focused vendor.

The current Resort Management Committee will move from the Member Services Council to the new Resort Ops. Council and at least one new committee will be added. THATS THE NEW OPPORTUNITY that is the subject of this posting.

This NEW Committee will be specific to Owner Associations and their Officers and Directors. At this point the working title is Home Owners Association Outreach Committee.

The door has been opened and it there is any real interest in making Timeshare better for those who are owners now is the time.

Give me your thoughts.

Jerry Sikes

Hi Jerry,

What can you tell me what ARDA did about the Wisconsin Senate Tax Bill 638?

I am a Timeshare Owner at Fox Hills in Wisconsin and a resident of Wisconsin. I know that ARDA was listed as Lobbying against this bill. But, I still consider that ARDA was a NO SHOW when it came to this Bill.

Why didn't ARDA inform Fox Hills and other Wisconsin Timeshare Resorts about this Bill?

Why didn't the ARDA get the word out to the Wisconsin Timeshare Owners?

Fox Hills just happen to have a newletter go out to it's owners about the last week in February. They could have gotten the word out to it's owners with any additional cost. Fox Hills told me they knew nothing about this Bill. This would have been in time for the owners to contact their state Senators before the Vote.

I consider myself active on both TUG and this Forum. I saw nothing about it in any of our newspapers. I first heard about this Bill with an email from RCI. However, even this was too late to have me contact my State Senator in time for his vote on the Bill. It did not pass this time. We were Lucky this time.

What will ARDA be doing to stop it when it comes up for a vote next time?

Walt :)

Below are some post about this Bill
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this new Tax Bill is something all timeshare owners from every State should know about and be concerned about. If it happens in Wisconsin it could happen in your State.

History of Senate Bill 638

2005 SENATE BILL 638

An Act to amend 66.0615 (1m) (a); and to create 66.1113 (1) (am),
66.1113 (4) and 77.994 (3) of the statutes; relating to: authorizing
a premier resort area to limit or prohibit managed time-share projects
and to impose a tax on the exchange of time-share units. (FE)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organization: These organizations have reported lobbying on this proposal:

American Resort Development Association - WI Chapter 2/28/2006 position........Against

Association of Wisconsin Tourism Attractions 3/2/2006
Position.........For

Cendant Corporation 3/6/2006
Position..........Against

Wisconsin Builders Association 3/6/2006
Position...........Against

Wisconsin Dells Visitors and Convention Bureau 3/1/2006
Position ............For

Wisconsin Restaurant Association 3/9/2006
Poistion ............For

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Dave M
Yes, there is significant info on ARDA's website on this. However, you have to be a member to see it.

Also, their focus is on lobbying to protexct the industry, which they did, not on telling everybody that might want to know about it. They did what they usually do - they fought unfavorable legislation and they were there first.

Whether you and I believe that they could have done things differently doesn't lessen their effort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what was the significant Infomation on ARDA website?

I would think that the additional input of Voters being against this Bill to their State Senators would have been a better way to protect the Timeshare Industry.

It is one thing to pass a State Tax Law to raise money to pay for the local government's expenses associated with the building and maintaining a Timeshare Resort. However, it appears that this State Tax Bill was written to increase the Advertising Budget of a few Local Resort Areas such as Wisconsin Dells.

In Southeast Wisconsin we have a .01% State Sales Tax that goes to pay for Miller Park (Home of the Brewers). This Sales Tax almost did not become a Tax Law because many voteres thought a one penny Tax was too much to keep the Brewers in Milwaukee.

Voters input Does matter. And if and when this Bill comes up again the Timeshare Owners bneed to give their input to their State Senators.

Walt

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back