PDA

View Full Version : Maui is beautiful, Kauai is too! What about the others?

chemteach
07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Just wondering what people who have travelled all the islands think. Obviously, people willl like different islands for different reasons. I have always heard amazing things about Maui, so we wanted to visit there. We were lucky enough to get back to back weeks - one on Maui, one on Kauai, and after seeing the beauty of Kauai, I don't quite understand why more people don't visit here.

So, having seen only 2 islands, I would pick Kauai as my favorite island for its vast beauty, great snorkeling, and beautiful scenery to look at even if you are in a traffic jam near Kapaa.

Maui had great beaches, and I would certainly go back, but I'd come back to Kauai if I could only visit one island.

Also, for those of you who have visited all the islands, could you share your thoughts on what makes each one special? We are coming back for a week next year, and will most likely stay on the Big Island because we have never been there.

bigfrank
07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Kauai is my Favorite followed by both Kona and Maui.

Luanne
07-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Kauai is my Favorite followed by both Kona and Maui.

Hmmm, last time I heard Kona was just a city. Didn't realize it had been elevated to island status. :rotflmao: But seriously....:cool: our favorite is the Big Island of Hawaii (where Kona is :wink: ).

T. R. Oglodyte
07-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Trying to choose among the islands is like trying to select among blondes, brunettes, and redheads.

There is no bad choice, and the biggest spoiler is stumbling across something phony or artificial. If you do proper preliminary research and checking, you should be able to avoid those problems.

Kaui'i is our favorite. Maui and the Big Island are probably tied for second, with Moloka'i third. O'ahu is our least favorite.

bigfrank
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmmm, last time I heard Kona was just a city. Didn't realize it had been elevated to island status. :rotflmao: But seriously....:cool: our favorite is the Big Island of Hawaii (where Kona is :wink: ).

Well Kona and Walkiluia is the big Island, Other than the Volcano on the other side.

Luanne
07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Well Kona and Walkiluia is the big Island, Other than the Volcano on the other side.

You haven't spent enough time on the Big Island. :wink:

taffy19
07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Also, for those of you who have visited all the islands, could you share your thoughts on what makes each one special? We are coming back for a week next year, and will most likely stay on the Big Island because we have never been there.
You will love the big island as it has the variety of scenery. Where do you see a live volcano and the National Park looks like a moonscape?

Only a few miles away you drive through the rain forest and it rains often and very hard but the rain never lasts that long to spoil your day plus you may see double rainbows too. One day, when we were there, it rained 17 inches in 24 hours so the road was closed from Hilo to Kona. It rains a lot more in Hilo than in Kona but we prefer the area there as Kona is so touristy and we like to spend time in the park.

There is often snow on top of the Mauna Kea in the winter and star gazing is out of this world and when you drive the northern part of the island, you believe you are driving in England somewhere. It has rolling hills with a lot of cattle and it is so green.

All islands are beautiful but each one is different so it depends what you like to see and do. We love Molokai too but don't expect a choice of restaurants there or tours to take or fancy hotels. There is only one. We like it because it is the way Hawaii once used to be before the tourists came and it has beautiful scenery if you like to hike or take a Jeep and the beaches are deserted when we were there.

I like Lanai for a day tour but not much more unless you like to play golf. They have some nice hotels there but expensive, I believe. We went to Lanai on a fast catamaran (http://www.sailtrilogy.com/adventures/lanaisunset/index.html) and took a tour on the island and went snorkeling. I can highly recommend this tour to anyone. :)

bigfrank
07-13-2007, 07:11 PM
You haven't spent enough time on the Big Island. :wink:

Well I was there 1 week. We seemed to just stay from Walkiulia to just past the black sand beach on the other side of Kona. Went to The coffee company I believe was Greenwalls. We drove down the middle of the Island to get to Hilo and Golfed some where on that side.

Luanne
07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Well I was there 1 week. We seemed to just stay from Walkiulia to just past the black sand beach on the other side of Kona. Went to The coffee company I believe was Greenwalls. We drove down the middle of the Island to get to Hilo and Golfed some where on that side.

Sounds like you missed the whole "northern" portion of the island. Did you get to Hawi, Waimea, Honoka'a? Or down into Puna when you were on the Hilo side? :biggrin: It's taken us quite a few trips to really "see" the island. If all you're doing is going between Waikoloa and Kona, you're missing a lot. I guess you can tell my prejudice. :lol:

bigfrank
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you missed the whole "northern" portion of the island. Did you get to Hawi, Waimea, Honoka'a? Or down into Puna when you were on the Hilo side? :biggrin: It's taken us quite a few trips to really "see" the island. If all you're doing is going between Waikoloa and Kona, you're missing a lot. I guess you can tell my prejudice. :lol:

We saw Waimea and I did drive around a lot on the Hilo side but had no idea where I was. I kinda got lost looking for the Municipal golf coarse. I don't play golf but my son wanted to try it for the first and last time in the heat. We spent most of the time in the Volcano Park before going to the lava flow.

Luanne
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
We saw Waimea and I did drive around a lot on the Hilo side but had no idea where I was. I kinda got lost looking for the Municipal golf coarse. I don't play golf but my son wanted to try it for the first and last time in the heat. We spent most of the time in the Volcano Park before going to the lava flow.

Well, if you were only there for a week and got lost trying to find the golf course, you're forgiven for only seeing part of the island (it is big).

BocaBum99
07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I love them all for different reasons. My favorite is Maui, though. That's because it has the most number of things I personally like to do and the views are the best since are so many islands that you can see from the land.

My wife's favorite is Kauai. She loves the natural beauty of the island.

bevvy5
07-14-2007, 12:18 AM
We love the Big Island, but haven't been to Kauai yet. Maybe next time.

This will be our third trip to the Big Island and there are things that we simply MUST see that we've missed on our first two trips. This time we'll be there a full two weeks so should get the list accomplished.

Glitter Brunello
07-14-2007, 12:26 AM
We love the Big Island, but haven't been to Kauai yet. Maybe next time.

This will be our third trip to the Big Island and there are things that we simply MUST see that we've missed on our first two trips. This time we'll be there a full two weeks so should get the list accomplished.

We're doing both... Big Island again (2d time), because we LOVED it and definitely didn't get to do everything the first time. Kauai after that, so we'll see... I wish we were doing it in reverse order, so I knew we were ending in a favorite place, but perhaps Kauai will surprise me!

Faust
07-14-2007, 12:32 AM
They donít call Kauai the Garden Island just to be calling it the Garden Island.
Itís a natural Garden of paradise.

StressCadet
07-14-2007, 03:02 AM
We're doing both... Big Island again (2d time), because we LOVED it and definitely didn't get to do everything the first time. Kauai after that, so we'll see... I wish we were doing it in reverse order, so I knew we were ending in a favorite place, but perhaps Kauai will surprise me!

It just might-it did me. I thought I loved Maui. Not so much anymore. I have yet to visit the BI-because I thought I wasn't intereted-but I am changing my tune...final tally after I see the BI...right now I lean to Kauai. Simply beautiful and it smells heavenly. I am so glad you are going Avery-I think you will like it. Can't wait to hear your report.

Juleen
07-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Kauai is, by far, our favorite and luckily for us, we own 3 weeks of timeshare on the north shore. Maui is probably number two for us, only because there is soooo much driving on the Big Island. Also, the area where most of the Big Island resorts and hotels are located are lava fields, deserts and landscaped green. Since we live in a desert area, we want to see green, green, natural green, as in tropical rain forest! I do like the Hilo side but not many resorts or hotels. <g> Also, while the Big Island does have some great beaches, they are kind of far between since it's the newest island and just hasn't had time to make more. In my next lifetime, perhaps they're be more! <vbg> Oahu's north shore is lovely, we're just simply not Honolulu type people!

T. R. Oglodyte
07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Since we live in a desert area, we want to see green, green, natural green, as in tropical rain forest! I do like the Hilo side but not many resorts or hotels. ...

Extending that, while Hilo and environs is a rain forest, the lushest areas on the Big Island sort of match up with the lushness in the average area of Kaua'i. Compared with truly lush areas on Kaua'i such as Princeville and Kilauea, Hilo and the Puna Coast seem almost barren.

TimeshareVon
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm with Frank and the others who said The Big Island is their favorite. I've been there on three week-long TS vacations dating back to 2000 and am really looking forward to our upcoming TWO weeks there in September! There is just so much to see and do, throughout the island. We've seen much of the outer areas mentioned by Frank, but are looking forward to a more indepth experience during our upcoming trip (hence the two weeks there). I actually found the Puna region to be very interesting. We didn't have nearly enough time there when we did stumble upon it. Next time, it will be a full day destination, as I want to explore and enjoy the thermal and tidal pools. We are also planning to do some activities up on the northshore, including horseback riding and ATVing to see the lush beauty that you can't access from the roads.

With that being said, I also enjoyed Maui and we own on Oahu. We like both of those about equally but because of the uniqueness each has to offer.

I hope to someday (soon!) have the opportunity to vacation on Kauai, but it's not in our immediate future. Maybe 2009 when I suspect our next Hawaii vacation will happen.

Heck . . . afterall it *IS* Hawaii . . . and it is ALL good!!!

T. R. Oglodyte
07-14-2007, 04:34 PM
... I actually found the Puna region to be very interesting. We didn't have nearly enough time there when we did stumble upon it. Next time, it will be a full day destination, as I want to explore and enjoy the thermal and tidal pools. ...!

We certainly enjoyed Puna also. I've commented several times that Puna is a greatly overlooked area. If it weren't so far from Kona I'm sure it would get more attention. We were planning to spend some more time there next month before our plans changed so that we are not spending our extra days on the B.I.

Here's a link to our photo album that includes the Puna Coast (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4289396205).

bigfrank
07-14-2007, 04:54 PM
We certainly enjoyed Puna also. I've commented several times that Puna is a greatly overlooked area. If it weren't so far from Kona I'm sure it would get more attention. We were planning to spend some more time there next month before our plans changed so that we are not spending our extra days on the B.I.

Here's a link to our photo album that includes the Puna Coast (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4289396205).

After seeing your pics I can now say for sure I missed this part of the island. Looks like I need to go back.

ArtsieAng
07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Just in case anyone is interested. There is a large banking of Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, that became available today.

TimeshareVon
07-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks for sharing Steve! I loved the Botanical Gardens photos and am looking forward to visiting there too :)

TimeshareVon
07-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Just in case anyone is interested. There is a large banking of Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, that became available today.

Angela, II or RCI?? What was used to pull it??

lawren2
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM

ummm if it's Angela then it MUST be Interval. :wink: RCI does not get Westin deposits...unfortunately.

We only got to see Oahu and Kauai. I fell in LOVE with Kauai. It is the most St John-esque and that is my absolute favorite Caribbean Island.

We are hoping to visit BI and Maui in 2009 but I have this sneaky feeling that Kauai will remain my favorite. How can another island compete with the Napali Coast, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific all those gardens and waterfalls???

Luanne
07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I think this is one of the most beautiful spots on any of the islands. Want to guess which one?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d933b3127cce928b3155ae6f00000026108AZMmrNi0atg

Luanne
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks for sharing these pictures. In all of our visits to the Big Island we still haven't gone to the Botanical Garden. I think we have to visit it this time. Beautiful!

ArtsieAng
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM

II....Sheraton Broadway Plantation.

Lawren, it seems that many agree with you that Kaui is the most beautiful, of the Islands. I've never been, but one day, I'll get there.

Luanne
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
II....Sheraton Broadway Plantation.

Lawren, it seems that many agree with you that Kaui is the most beautiful, of the Islands. I've never been, but one day, I'll get there.

Dh and I were talking about this last night. We've been to pretty much all of the islands now. We own a timeshare on Maui, but the Big Island is our current favorite and has been for awhile. For some reason Kauai was never my favorite, even from the first visit I had. And when the whole family went a few years ago, dh agrees. Yes, it is beautiful and lush. But for some reason for us, it was kind of a "been there, done that" type of thing. But, isn't it great that each of the islands seem to hold a particular charm for each of us.

ArtsieAng
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Dh and I were talking about this last night. We've been to pretty much all of the islands now. We own a timeshare on Maui, but the Big Island is our current favorite and has been for awhile. For some reason Kauai was never my favorite, even from the first visit I had. And when the whole family went a few years ago, dh agrees. Yes, it is beautiful and lush. But for some reason for us, it was kind of a "been there, done that" type of thing. But, isn't it great that each of the islands seem to hold a particular charm for each of us.

Luanne.....I think you are correct, and yes, it's great. It seems that everyone has their own favorite, for various reasons. Seems like there's something for everyone.

lawren2
07-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I think this is one of the most beautiful spots on any of the islands. Want to guess which one?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d933b3127cce928b3155ae6f00000026108AZMmrNi0atg

Luanne that is beautiful......

I will not guess as I have so little to use as a compass.

You left-coasters have no idea how jealous I get of your closeness to Hawaii. However I have all those caribbean gems that are 4 or 5 hours away from the east coast to help me deal with the dilemna. :p

I don't know why so few of you visit any of them. The water is warmer. :wink:

ArtsieAng
07-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Luanne....Great Pic, really beautiful. I'm clueless on Long island.

Luanne
07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
You left-coasters have no idea how jealous I get of your closeness to Hawaii. However I have all those caribbean gems that are 4 or 5 hours away from the east coast to help me deal with the dilemna. :p

I don't know why so few of you visit any of them. The water is warmer. :wink:

Hmmm, well think of a 5 hour flight cross country, then however much longer it takes to get to those caribbean gems...............vs a non-stop 5 hour flight to Hawaii. And the water is warmer than WHAT? :lol:

lawren2
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Hmmm, well think of a 5 hour flight cross country, then however much longer it takes to get to those caribbean gems...............vs a non-stop 5 hour flight to Hawaii. And the water is warmer than WHAT? :lol:

Pshaw you could probably change planes in Houston and that wouldn't take 5 hours. < You must take faster planes than I do. Generally takes me 6 to LAX :lol: >

That water was pretty cold nothcoast Kauai in July....but the fish were worth it.

Luanne
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Pshaw you could probably change planes in Houston and that wouldn't take 5 hours. < You must take faster planes than I do. Generally takes me 6 to LAX :lol: >

Change planes vs non-stop........hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

LisaH
07-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Hmm... my guess would be it's the Big Island since that's your favorite:grin:
Seriously, looked like it's somewhere on the Northeast coast of the Big Island...

Luanne
07-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Hmm... my guess would be it's the Big Island since that's your favorite:grin:
Seriously, looked like it's somewhere on the Northeast coast of the Big Island...

Nope. :biggrin:

T. R. Oglodyte
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM

It's Kalawao, on Moloka'i - the site of the original leper colony where Father Damien established his first church. (The settlement was moved to Kalaupapa on the other side of the peninsula later.) St. Philomena church and cemetery is about 200 yards behind the photographer.

Here's a view from behind the photographer, showing the cemetery with Father Joseph Dutton's grave on the left. Fr. Damien's original burial site is off the picture to the left. Fr. Dutton was one of the first priests who came to Kalawao to assist Damien.

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/446050024.jpg

Luanne
07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
It's Kalawao, on Moloka'i - the site of the original leper colony where Father Damien established his first church.

Yep.

LisaH
07-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Yep.

Never been there. Guess I need to plan my next Hawaii trip to Molokai...

StressCadet
07-15-2007, 03:06 AM

That water was pretty cold nothcoast Kauai in July....but the fish were worth it.

Ha! My favorite word. Lawren you crack me up.

StressCadet
07-15-2007, 03:08 AM
It's Kalawao, on Moloka'i - the site of the original leper colony where Father Damien established his first church. (The settlement was moved to Kalaupapa on the other side of the peninsula later.) St. Philomena church and cemetery is about 200 yards behind the photographer.

Here's a view from behind the photographer, showing the cemetery with Father Joseph Dutton's grave on the left. Fr. Damien's original burial site is off the picture to the left. Fr. Dutton was one of the first priests who came to Kalawao to assist Damien.

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/446050024.jpg

This is my dream trip. I have been waiting for my son to turn 16 so we can go together. He just turned 15. I read they might be relaxing that restriction-does anyone know? I still wouldn't want to take my younger child-she would be bored. I'm almost there :)

T. R. Oglodyte
07-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Never been there. Guess I need to plan my next Hawaii trip to Molokai...

The sea cliffs in Luanne's photo are the tallest in the world.

This photo, taken from the mule on the way down, is the wallpaper for my computer desktop.

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/kalaupapa_pali_small.jpg

More Molokai and Kalaupapa pics are in this album (http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sharing/shareSignin.jsp?shareCode=AEFC5D1C3FA&cp=ems_shr_alb_pml&cb=PW).

lawren2
07-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Just so happens that TPI has a Molokai summer 2008 just sitting on-line if anyone is interested...

Ke Nani Kai - Molokai, HI, United States
Dates: Jul 05, 2008 - Jul 12, 2008
Size: 1 Bedroom
Occupancy: 4

Luanne
07-15-2007, 02:11 PM
This is my dream trip. I have been waiting for my son to turn 16 so we can go together. He just turned 15. I read they might be relaxing that restriction-does anyone know? I still wouldn't want to take my younger child-she would be bored. I'm almost there :)

We were there two summers ago. My older dd (the one in the picture with me) and I went. We did the fly in/fly out. Younger dd couldn't go as she wasn't old enough. We were told that they were changing the restrictions right after we left. But, it sounds like maybe they still haven't done it.

taffy19
07-16-2007, 01:49 AM
The sea cliffs in Luanne's photo are the tallest in the world.

This photo, taken from the mule on the way down, is the wallpaper for my computer desktop.

More Molokai and Kalaupapa pics are in this album (http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sharing/shareSignin.jsp?shareCode=AEFC5D1C3FA&cp=ems_shr_alb_pml&cb=PW).
Beautiful photos and so is Molokai. We want to go back there one day soon before it gets touristy. I hope they won't let it go that way.

Luanne
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Beautiful photos and so is Molokai. We want to go back there one day soon before it gets touristy. I hope they won't let it go that way.

I think there has been pretty active movement from the locals to keep Molokai undeveloped.

Larry
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I hope no one takes this the wrong way and we each have our own opinions and tastes. But although we loved Maui and the Big Island and also really liked Oahu ( waikiki beach- just keep in mind we are from NY so loved being in a city, Honolulu with it's shops and night life and great beaches) and really want to experience Kuai we hated Molokai. Other than a couple of nice deserted beaches and the leper colony we found it boring. Stayed two nights and got an early flight out ( we were scheduled to fly back in the afternoon )to get back to Maui.

Again don't get me wrong this island may be great for those who want quiet
( except for the roosters that woke us up at the crack of dawn) laid back island but this really is someplace I would never return. :sleeping:

So for those of you who want to be were the action is this is not the place for you.:wavey:

T. R. Oglodyte
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
So for those of you who want to be were the action is this is not the place for you.:wavey:

"Action" and "Moloka'i" certainly are not a good fit.

We are certainly not "action" people - don't care much about clubs, restaurants, organized activities, etc. But while we enjoyed Moloka'i, Moloka'i is not an island we are anxious to return to. I can see us returning to Mololka'i perhaps every five to ten years.

We take two weeks in Hawai'i most years, and Kaua'i gets at least one week most years. The other week rotates among Maui, the Big Island, and a second week in Kaua'i. O'ahu and Moloka'i are occasional insertions into the rotation.

Luanne
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Again don't get me wrong this island may be great for those who want quiet ( except for the roosters that woke us up at the crack of dawn) laid back island but this really is someplace I would never return. :sleeping:

No offense taken. :biggrin: To each his own. While I'd go back to Molokai again with no hesitation I doubt the rest of my family would.

Sure hope you didn't miss the gathering at the Hotel Molokai on Friday night before you left. My kids said that was the highlight of their entire trip.

Larry
07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
No offense taken. :biggrin: To each his own. While I'd go back to Molokai again with no hesitation I doubt the rest of my family would.

Sure hope you didn't miss the gathering at the Hotel Molokai on Friday night before you left. My kids said that was the highlight of their entire trip.

Yes we did miss this, figures we would miss the highlight night. We were only there for two nights. I think it was Wednesday and Thursday night and went back to Maui early Friday morning. :wavey:

taffy19
07-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I hope no one takes this the wrong way and we each have our own opinions and tastes. But although we loved Maui and the Big Island and also really liked Oahu ( waikiki beach- just keep in mind we are from NY so loved being in a city, Honolulu with it's shops and night life and great beaches) and really want to experience Kuai we hated Molokai.

No offense here because we all like different things and that is good otherwise half of the choices wouldn't be there. Can you imagine?

So for those of you who want to be were the action is this is not the place for you.:wavey:Yes, you would be bored stiff in Molokai but we like the hustle and bustle at some places but also the peace and quiet this beautiful island still has to offer. If you like hiking, there is plenty to do but you need a jeep because the roads are not paved to get at some of these hiking places.

Larry, I also love NYC where there is plenty of action, people walking on the streets even late at night and the variety of shows. I would go back to NYC first before going back to Molokai as I would like to go back tomorrow. :biggrin:

Luanne
07-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Just as an aside, supposedly Molokai is where the Hawaiian people go when they want to vacation and get away from it all. :biggrin: This is according to a friend of dh's from Manhatten who grew up on the islands.

T. R. Oglodyte
07-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Just as an aside, supposedly Molokai is where the Hawaiian people go when they want to vacation and get away from it all.

I've always thought that Las Vegas was where Hawai'ians vacationed when they wanted to get away from things.

Luanne
07-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I've always thought that Las Vegas was where Hawai'ians vacationed when they wanted to get away from things.

Maybe Molokai is where they go after they get back from Las Vegas and they're broke. :rotflmao:

Juleen
07-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Yep, Vegas does seem to be the number one destination of Hawai'ians wanting to get away "from it all!". We go to Vegas each December for National Finals Rodeo and run into a lot of Hawai'ians. There are even a couple of ABC stores to keep them happy. I guess after all those palm trees, incredibly beautiful ocean and flower scented air they need bright lights! :O)

T. R. Oglodyte
07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Yep, Vegas does seem to be the number one destination of Hawai'ians wanting to get away "from it all!". We go to Vegas each December for National Finals Rodeo and run into a lot of Hawai'ians. There are even a couple of ABC stores to keep them happy. I guess after all those palm trees, incredibly beautiful ocean and flower scented air they need bright lights! :O)

Las Vegas is a great place to get plate lunch if you know where to go. Some good kalua pork joints, too.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back