PDA

View Full Version : The Cream of the Crop

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I am wondering which RCI resorts are the Best of the Best. I have heard great things about Pahio Shearwater in Kauai. Is it the top TS resort there?

Can all of you expert Hawaii travelers share your VERY FAVORITES (and why) on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island? Thank you for your help!

garyd210
01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Ruth,
The Shearwater is pretty amazing. The Kauai island is pretty laid back and so it also is with the Shearwater. There are 3 floors and it would seem that the middle and top floors would be the ones to have amazing views of the ocean. The middle floor unit we stayed in had a pretty view of the lighthouse down the coast. It looked like the unit below us probably didn't have a view of the ocean over the shrubs outside their windows, but there may be other bottom units that don't have an unobstructed view. There is just one pool with a dolphon sculpture that was never crowded. I thought the one hottub was in need of refinishing. There are no elevators. The rooms were very nice. The clubhouse was nice with an internet computer available to use. They loaned us ice chests, chairs, mats, etc for no cost versus $5/day for .97 Walmart mats at the BI Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa By the Sea. I bought into a Pahio Bali Hai 1br/2ba and will seriously exchange into Shearwater. We're going again to Shearwater this next October and can't wait. The early morning rooster crows were no more annoying that an occasional person yelling at them. Chickens and roosters are also part of being on Kauai.
Are you thinking of exchanging or buying? I've seen an occasional eBay listing for $10-12k, but they sell normally in the $20k's. You would want to definately check to see if the offer specified a specific floor. All of the units face towards the ocean, whereas some facilities have "garden" views.

garyd210:)

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi Gary,
Thank you for the detailed reply. We plan to exchange only, so I need to get working on it now. We love Kauai. One year we stayed with a friend who owned at Pahio Ka 'Eo Kai. The next time we were in Kauai, we rented at Pali Ke Kua. We had an awesome view and that is how we came to know our neighbors, Pahio Shearwater. It seems alot like Pali Ke Kua, and we have wanted to stay at Shearwater since that visit (pre TS ownership). Thanks again, Gary.

To all: What are the best on the Big Island? I rented Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea for friends. They raved about it. How does it stack up with the other Kona/Hawaii timeshares? We are thinking Kauai and Hawaii for our next trip.
I appreciate everyone's insight.

bigfrank
01-08-2006, 03:09 PM
IMO HGV in Wakola village, Pahio Ka 'Eo Kai, HGVC in ohau, Marriot Maui, Westin in Maui and Embassy in Maui. Also I am not sure if the Princeville resort has opened there timeshare units yet. If it has that would be my #1

Cat
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
It might depend on the parameters you're using to measure "best." If you mean opulence, that's different from a resort that's located close to the action, which some people want, or a resort that's quiet, super clean and comfortable, or one that has a lot of planned activities.

As far as Maui, we loved Kahana Falls on our first trip, but we encountered horrible traffic almost anyplace we wanted to go. Just this past October, we stayed at Maui Lea at Maui Hill which we thought was far superior. It wasn't opulent in that it didn't have such modern luxuries as a Jacuzzi tub in the master, but our unit had a drop-dead view of the ocean and Molokini, as well as Kaho'olawe farther in the distance, a washer/dryer, and comfortable furniture. There were very few organized activities, whereas Kahana Falls had quite a few. The beaches in that area are incredible. Kihei is very laid back and without traffic jams, whereas Kahana/Lahaina/Ka'anapali is the opposite. Maui Hill's whirlpool worked perfectly all week and was kept nice and hot. At Kahana Falls, the main whirlpool broke the day after we arrived and it was never repaired the rest of our week.

To our way of thinking, Maui Hill is where we want to stay the next time we go back.

On the Big Island, many think that the Bay Club at Waikoloa is the ultimate. Our two weeks there, we shared our unit with mice, biting spiders, ants, and swarms of flies. The unit was lovely, but when the management did just about nothing to get rid of the mice (and we found moldering mouse corpses beneath the oven when we moved it!) and was quite blase about it, it made for a lousy couple of weeks, with lots of time wasted on trying to get something done, and the trauma of seeing mice and not knowing when we'd wake up with bites all over us. So even though the units were gorgeous, we wouldn't stay there again if you paid us.

Guess we need to know your parameters before we can make accurate recommendations.

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Guess we need to know your parameters before we can make accurate recommendations.

Good point, Cat. Here goes...

On Maui we have stayed at the Whaler, the Marriott Outrigger in Wailea and Huelo Point Flower Farm on the road to Hana and Hana Kai Maui in Hana. On Kauai we have stayed at Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu, Pahio Ka 'Eo Kai and Pali Ke Kua. We like being near the water, either to swim or with a view only. That is very important.

We don't need the busy resorts. We visited friends when they stayed at the Kauai Marriott and again at the Maui Marriott. While the resorts were both lovely, we felt they were just too busy for us. We did like the Whaler - on busy Kaanapali, but quiet itself. Pali Ke Kua in Kauai was our best stay ever. We loved the views. I think Pahio Shearwater has the same thing, if you get the right unit. The Flower Farm was unique - a glass gazebo on a private compound with the shower outside! We loved that too.

To sum it up, we avoid the super busy places. We like water views. That is very important. We don't need opulance, but do not like dark or shabby surroundings. Planned activities are of no importance to us either.

Thanks to all. It is so fun to read your opinions!:)

ps Frank, the Princeville Resort is going to have timeshares? RCI? That is an awesome place. Does anyone know where they are situated on the property?

bigfrank
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
ps Frank, the Princeville Resort is going to have timeshares? RCI? That is an awesome place. Does anyone know where they are situated on the property?
Yep it is coming I heard it was coming two years ago. Not sure when they will open up.

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Frank, You are quick Thanks. I love that place. We went for drinks in the "living room" several times and spent time at the beach they share with Hanalei Bay Resort. Thanks.

bigfrank
01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Ruth I had read this as I said 2 years ago. I have no idea where they are with this or if it has even begun. If they do build them these will most likely be the cream of the crop.

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I went to the PR website and sent an inquiry about the TS addition. If they respond, I will post.

bigfrank
01-08-2006, 04:45 PM
What is there website

SciTchr
01-08-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.princeville.com

bigfrank
01-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Looks like it is up and running right now as a starwood resort

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/search/hotel_detail.html?requestedChainCode=SI&requestedAffiliationCode=LC&goToRooms=yes&lengthOfStay=1&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&arrivalDate=2006-01-09&departureDate=2006-01-10&rpoi=&propertyID=189&rcdi=&linkbrand=&fromSearch=22XX&sherlockRatePlanID=&sherlockMiniRate=&sherlockRoomType=&sherlockBedType=&iATANumber=&corporateAccountNumber=&propertyDistance=&propertyDistanceInUnits=&requestType=page&page=&ratePlanName=&roomOccupancyTotal=1

StressCadet
01-09-2006, 03:42 AM
It might depend on the parameters you're using to measure "best." If you mean opulence, that's different from a resort that's located close to the action, which some people want, or a resort that's quiet, super clean and comfortable, or one that has a lot of planned activities.

As far as Maui, we loved Kahana Falls on our first trip, but we encountered horrible traffic almost anyplace we wanted to go. Just this past October, we stayed at Maui Lea at Maui Hill which we thought was far superior. It wasn't opulent in that it didn't have such modern luxuries as a Jacuzzi tub in the master, but our unit had a drop-dead view of the ocean and Molokini, as well as Kaho'olawe farther in the distance, a washer/dryer, and comfortable furniture. There were very few organized activities, whereas Kahana Falls had quite a few. The beaches in that area are incredible. Kihei is very laid back and without traffic jams, whereas Kahana/Lahaina/Ka'anapali is the opposite. Maui Hill's whirlpool worked perfectly all week and was kept nice and hot. At Kahana Falls, the main whirlpool broke the day after we arrived and it was never repaired the rest of our week.

To our way of thinking, Maui Hill is where we want to stay the next time we go back.

I am so glad to hear this. We bought there sight unseen (on Ebay)-well except that I made my DH drive by once when we were on Maui. I think it will suit our family just fine. I'll take laid back any day over traffic and people. And IMHO those Kam beaches and extending further are just as nice with less people-though I have no qualms about driving and checking out Napili Bay-will do that in June :)

Guess we need to know your parameters before we can make accurate recommendations.[/QUOTE]

This is spot on-everyone has different tastes and desires-for us-I was sure Maui Hill would fit the bill and I own my first timeshare in Hawaii for so much less than I thought was possible. Now to find that Calif coastal for the same price-LOL!!

teepeeca
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
The Princeville Resort is not a timeshare, but the "old" Sheraton hotel.

There "will" be a new timeshare (starwood/Sheraton ?) in the Princeville area, fairly close to the Pahio at Ka'Eo Kai. The land was bought several years ago, but "groundbreaking" hasn't occurred yet (as of the middle of November last year).

It will be built on a bluff, fairly close to the trail leading down to the "queen's bath". From what I have heard, the price-tag for each week of timeshare will cost some $$$$!!!! (Have heard that each week will start at the $50k range "ON-UP".

Tony

Cat
01-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Stress, you made a brilliant purchase! The management is wonderful! During our last week there, when Hurricane Wilma was bearing down on south FL (which is where we live) and it was uncertain if we'd be able to return on our scheduled day, we explained the problem to the GM, Dennis Costa.

He in turn offered to rent us a unit the next week at 50% off the normal price. This was going way above and beyond. As it turned out, we didn't need to take him up on the offer :( as Wilma slowed down, allowing us to return the day before it struck (but that's another story...)

The common areas are kept meticulously. Everything in our 3 BR unit worked well, with no maintenance issues. The only thing that was not very good was the housekeeping. Evidently, the party that occupied the unit before us loved to put their hands and noses on the windows. (EVERY window!) I hate smudged windows, and each window was "decorated" with multiple, obvious handprints and nose prints. It was really gross. The housekeepers had not touched them to so much as try to clean. We did it ourselves. Now mind you, I don't do windows when I'm home, so to have to do it to see the ocean beyond did not sit well.

Also, in the midweek cleaning, they did not vacuum. There was a broom in our unit, but no scoop for collecting the junk we swept up. So every day, I'd sweep it to one side of the kitchen, thinking they'd get it when they did the midweek cleaning. Nope. They didn't even make a half-hearted effort. The oven was dirty when we checked in.

But we found this shortcoming relatively easy to overlook, as we were so pleased with everything else. No bugs, no rodents, so we were happy campers!

This resort is very, very special, and the staff is conscientious and cordial. You're going to LOVE it!:cool:

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back