PDA

View Full Version : Kauai, South Shore, top 3 'must dos' ?

Glitter Brunello
06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Keeping in mind that I hate crowds (I know, what's Glitter doing spending all that time in NYC, but that's different somehow...), love beaches, snorkeling, shortish hikes, adventuresome jeep rides... some nightlife ideas would be most welcome, too. Will start another thread for north shore soon...

TIA, I'm getting psyched!!

Luanne
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
1. Eat
2. Drink
3. Spend time on the beach

Glitter Brunello
06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
1. Eat
2. Drink
3. Spend time on the beach

:rotflmao: Your enthusiasm for Kauai is overwhelming :p

Luanne
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
:rotflmao: Your enthusiasm for Kauai is overwhelming :p

Hey! Those are my three favorite things no matter which island I'm on. :woot: :banana: :banana:

T. R. Oglodyte
06-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Keeping in mind that I hate crowds (I know, what's Glitter doing spending all that time in NYC, but that's different somehow...), love beaches, snorkeling, shortish hikes, adventuresome jeep rides... some nightlife ideas would be most welcome, too.

Given those preferences, I suggest the following:
spend time exploring the many south shore beaches
snorkel (Lawai Beach near the Cliff House restaurant is a popular place)
do some short hikes - Waimea Canyon park is a good option. Or do some hiking along bluffs east of the cove where Shipwreck Beach is located)
do an ATV activity
For nightlife there aren't really a lot of options. Maybe a luau - Gaylords or the Hyatt.

BocaBum99
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
You have got to have a Puka Dog in Poipu.

And, get a bowl of Ramen at Hamura Saimin in Lihue.

Take an hour long lesson on an ultralight. It will be the closest thing to flying you will ever experience.

And, the Fern Grotto just reopened after a couple of years. That's worth a trip.

Bring Deet. There are a ton of mosquitos in Kauai.

Glitter Brunello
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
You have got to have a Puka Dog in Poipu.

And, get a bowl of Ramen at Hamura Saimin in Lihue.

Take an hour long lesson on an ultralight. It will be the closest thing to flying you will ever experience.

And, the Fern Grotto just reopened after a couple of years. That's worth a trip.

Bring Deet. There are a ton of mosquitos in Kauai.

Oh NO!!! I hate mosquitos, but they love me :cry2: :cry2:

happymum
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
We have done two of the all-day kayak/hike/swim trips and enjoyed them both. Neither were overly strenuous, but provided a nice balance of activities. I dont remember the company name, but suspect that we found it through Kauai Revealed or Frommers. I dont remember the mosquitos as being bad, but maybe thats because they are our unofficial provincial bird!:D

Luanne
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't remember mosquitos either (and I'm like Glitter, hate them but they love me). I do remember at the end of our last stay there some kind of infestation of really tiny flying critters.

aliikai2
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Kauai Cookie Company in Hanapepe

Kauai Coffee just north of Hanapepe

Glass beach and the beach out past the end of Pe'e road.

Dinner at the Beach House ( make your reservations before you arrive for sunset)

Keoki's Paradise for at least Hula Pie, they also have pretty good food and a fun faux South Seas atmospher.

Salt Park and Salt park beach.

The Waimea canyon and Kokee park.

Those are my top picks..

Greg

Luanne
06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Kauai Cookie Company in Hanapepe

Kauai Coffee just north of Hanapepe

Glass beach and the beach out past the end of Pe'e road.

Dinner at the Beach House ( make your reservations before you arrive for sunset)

Keoki's Paradise for at least Hula Pie, they also have pretty good food and a fun faux South Seas atmospher.

Salt Park and Salt park beach.

The Waimea canyon and Kokee park.

Those are my top picks..

Greg

See..............eat, drink and beach. :p

Nancy
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Take a good helicopter tour of the island. It was the highlight of our trip 6 years ago. Never thought hubby would agree to go, but he really enjoyed it. That being said, don't think he'd go again.

Nancy

davhu1
06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
snorkel Poipu Beach
hike Waimea Canyon
explore the beaches, [stop at the Spouting Horn]

4ARedOctober
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
1) We had a great tour with this company December of 2004. We kayaked up the Wailua River, hiked through the jungle to swim in two different falls including Kipu Falls, Ziplined, then took the wagon ride back through some ranch estates and to the river for a motorized boat trip back. Our two local guides were great. We had a blast.

Outfitters Kauai - Outdoor Adventure Activities, Kauai, Hawaii (http://www.outfitterskauai.com/)

2) There is a place to cliff dive (jump) into the Ocean just east of Shipwreck Beach. Ask a local and they will show you where to jump.

3) We had a great horseback ride. It was pretty much a tail to tail ride but it did go to the ocean and on the 'hidden' beach for a little bit as well as through some nice scenic trails and a bit of open range. Our guide was local and very nice. We will go back and do it again.

Kauai Horseback Riding: CJM Country Stables in Poipu (http://www.cjmstables.com/)

4) Be sure to go to Polihale State Park (Beach) for some real local and deserted beach on the south end of the Napali Coast. It is a wild rental car ride through the old sugar cane fields. The road is full of pot holes and a bit rough but if you have an SUV then go fast and just avoid the big pot holes. If in a regular rental car you will have to go slower and keep an ear out for your hub caps coming off. Alamo did not ding us for a missing hub cap.

5) Snorkel in front of the Lauai Beach Resort.

6) Waimea Canyon is very nice. Go down every road you can find and be sure to hike out near the lookout areas where they have trails.

I could go on but.....

Glitter Brunello
06-08-2007, 05:10 PM
You guys rock! These are great, except no helicopter tours for me :nono:
I have flown in an Ultralite, but will not ever get into another helicopter, unless I needed to be airlifted somewhere for medical treatment...

T. R. Oglodyte
06-08-2007, 05:17 PM
We've not had too much issue with mosquitoes on the south shore. Kilauea, though, was a different story.

BocaBum99
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Of course there are no mosquitos where it's dry. There are tons of mosquitos where it is constantly wet, like at Wailua Falls.

Faust
06-09-2007, 01:46 PM
If you drive to Waimea Canyon donít forget to stop at Kauai Coffee Plantation. Kauai Coffee Plantation is one of the largest coffee plantations in Hawaii with 3,400 acres in cultivation. This site was the first area where coffee was planted over 150 years ago. You can stop to sample a cup of coffee, view the plantation and visit the gift shop. Its is a cool place to stop and rest up before you travel on to your next destination.
Kauai Coffee Company (http://www.kauaicoffee.com/)

Glitter Brunello
06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Of course there are no mosquitos where it's dry. There are tons of mosquitos where it is constantly wet, like at Wailua Falls.

sigh. too bad, that looked like a nice Kayak trip.

T. R. Oglodyte
06-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Or like anywhere on the north shore that is close to wooded areas or streams.

BocaBum99
06-09-2007, 02:02 PM
If you drive to Waimea Canyon donít forget to stop at Kauai Coffee Plantation. Kauai Coffee Plantation is one of the largest coffee plantations in Hawaii with 3,400 acres in cultivation. This site was the first area where coffee was planted over 150 years ago. You can stop to sample a cup of coffee, view the plantation and visit the gift shop. Its is a cool place to stop and rest up before you travel on to your next destination.
Kauai Coffee Company (http://www.kauaicoffee.com/)

Yeah, this is a pretty cool place. They had about a dozen coffees out for taste testing and video about how they make the coffee.

The Coffee is very expensive, so I didn't buy any. I like the coffee plantations on the Big Island better. The one I went to was on a hill, so it felt more remote.

lawren2
06-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh NO!!! I hate mosquitos, but they love me :cry2: :cry2:

Glitter I swear by taking 50 to 100mg vitamin B1 a day starting a week before you expect to meet up with mosquitos and continue thru your stay. I used to be eaten alive each summer camping and it really does work.

We did not find much of a mosquito problem in Kauai. We were there for the 4th of July, stayed in Kapa'a and mostly the northern part of the island.

DS and I took a snorkle boat tour from the Poipu area for the Napali coast. Multiple stops for snorkeling and the boat went into some caves. Wasn't crowded in the least. We had to leave Kapa'a before dawn. Darned if I remember who we used but it wasn't crowded. We bought our tix at Pono Kai.

You may also see a monk seal at Poipu beach as we did. It came right into the prtected swimming area on the public beach. The other neat thing was the blowholes close by.

Glitter Brunello
06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Glitter I swear by taking 50 to 100mg vitamin B1 a day starting a week before you expect to meet up with mosquitos and continue thru your stay. I used to be eaten alive each summer camping and it really does work.

We did not find much of a mosquito problem in Kauai. We were there for the 4th of July, stayed in Kapa'a and mostly the northern part of the island.

DS and I took a snorkle boat tour from the Poipu area for the Napali coast. Multiple stops for snorkeling and the boat went into some caves. Wasn't crowded in the least. We had to leave Kapa'a before dawn. Darned if I remember who we used but it wasn't crowded. We bought our tix at Pono Kai.

You may also see a monk seal at Poipu beach as we did. It came right into the prtected swimming area on the public beach. The other neat thing was the blowholes close by.

Lawren, thank you. I put a note in my calendar to bring B1 to start taking on the Big Island the week prior. Can't hurt!

We discussed the boat tours with our friends, are now leaning toward an evening Sunset Sail out of Hanalei on a comfortable cat, no snorkeling. Sounds like there will be plenty of good snorkeling to do on our own.

Back to South Shore, we will definitely be doing Waimea Canyon and will add the coffee plantation if we're not plantationed out after Big Island... (though we may not get to it, again, on BI, then we'll definitely go!)

IreneLF
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi Glitter,
Stayed on north shore,when we were on Kauai (July) and met a woman who said the water on the south shore at Poipu was too rough to snorkle; she drove all the way around to Tunnels on the north for that.
I'm not sure if this is a seasonal thing (south too rough, north fine in the summer) -- I read somewhere it was , but was wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Faust
06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Hawaii-Your Guide to the Path Less Traveled
Hawaii Vacation Travel Guide (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/index.html)

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back