PDA

View Full Version : Kona or Kauai ?

Amanda
04-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Hello!

OK, more honeymoon planning.. we have a timeshare week on Oahu and then a week on Maui, and now I am trying to plan 4 more nights before the week on Oahu (I have a bunch of Starwood points to use so we'll be staying in a hotel for these nights).

I can't decide if we should head to the big island and stay in Kona (or perhaps somewhere else?) or to Kauai for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon.. (first time in Hawaii and we live in NY and probably won't go back as often as some of you west coasters..)

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!! :grin:

Laurie
05-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Lots of people think Kauai is very romantic - I agree it's very pretty- but I'd recommend going to see the lava flow (at night - hopefully it will be visible during your stay) on the Big Island. To me that is the highlight of Hawaii, IMO the Big Island is the most unique. My partner and I got to witness a major eruption of Kilauea for an anniversary over 20 years ago, and it was the best anniversary present ever. You have lots of other time to see tropical scenery, waterfalls and beaches. There are b&b's in Volcano on the Big Island, as well as the park hotel - Kona is also a fun town, with excellent snorkeling for beginners, if you wanted to split your 4 nights on the Big Island into 2 + 2.

Amanda
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks Laurie!

How far is Kona from the active volcano? Do you know if they do any guided tours of the volcano and surrounding area?

Luanne
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks Laurie!

How far is Kona from the active volcano? Do you know if they do any guided tours of the volcano and surrounding area?

About 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If you want to spend time at Volcano National Park you might want to consider staying closer. We've stayed at a wonderful B&B in Volcano: Kilauea Lodge - Country Inn and Restaurant (http://www.kilauealodge.com/) which has a wonderful restaurant.

We've never taken a tour, but I'm sure they are offered.

With Starwood points, which hotel(s) in Kona are you considering?

Glitter Brunello
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Beware that even if there is active lava flow, you may not get close enough to see much.

When we were there over the summer, we walked over a mile to get to a spot still over a mile from the flow. I've heard it has gotten further from where the rangers are letting people go, maybe someone else has more updated info. And it is best viewed at night, when hiking over lava

We also got rained out, after all that hiking... it was a total bummer. But the lodge that Luanne is recommending is truly lovely, if you decide to go. And I love Kona, btw.

We'll be doing both Kona and Kauai, this summer, I can give you my full opinion after that, but I'll bet you'll have your plans made by then :wink:

bigfrank
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
OK if it were me The I would do 1 of these two resorts.

The Princeville Hotel in Kauai or the HGV Wakoluia(sp?) near Kona.

There both Tops Princeville is expensive and classy. HGV is like a small world.

Luanne
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah, personally I like the big island better than Kauai. :biggrin:

T. R. Oglodyte
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
If you want romantic, I think it's Princeville over Kona, and it's not even close.

If you're into volcanoes, lava, geology and that sort of thing, then the Big Island is would be preferred.

But if you want a romanticfour days, Princeville is your place, and the Princeville Hotel would be an outstanding choice. There are also some very nice B&Bs on the north side of Kaua'i as well.

Carol C
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
If you want romantic, I think it's Princeville over Kona, and it's not even close.

If you're into volcanoes, lava, geology and that sort of thing, then the Big Island is would be preferred.

But if you want a romanticfour days, Princeville is your place, and the Princeville Hotel would be an outstanding choice. There are also some very nice B&Bs on the north side of Kaua'i as well.

Yep...what Steve said! :cool:

Luanne
05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Yep...what Steve said! :cool:

Ah heck, they can have romance on Oahu or Maui. Where else but the big island can they see an active volcano. I guess it just depends on what floats your boat. :banana:

Amanda
05-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Great points from everyone.. thank you!

Currently, I have reserved 4 nights at Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa.. anyone ever stayed there?? However, I can change this very easily..

I am going to check out the Princeville resort as well that a few of you have said would be romantic...

The lava/active volcano is def a big draw for the big island, but I suppose we are going for honeymoon flavor.. decisions decisions :banghead:

mshatty
05-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Being your honeymoon and all, are you sure that you are even going outside?:abused: :eek:

WanderLust
05-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Being your honeymoon and all, are you sure that you are even going outside?:abused: :eek:

Honestly, I found Kaui boring and I was not on my honeymoon. Much prefer Kona.

Amanda
05-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Hahaha I'm sure my fiance would love you :p

Considering we will be in Hawaii for 2 and a half weeks, I hope we get out a bit!! :lol:

I'm trying to look at the various Starwood hotels on the big island and Kauai to make an informed decision abt which property is best too... I know this isn't a TS question, but any thoughts?

Glitter Brunello
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
No hotel thoughts, other than the Princeville Hotel is supposed to be fabulous, but remember that you will be starting off after a loooonnng flight, following what I expect will be a fantastic party, etc... plus HI is 6 hours behind NY. I know you're young and all, but you will be a bit tired, perhaps? The Big Island takes energy to do right...

bigfrank
05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Starwood Hawaii Hotels & Resorts Princeville Resort Princeville, Kauai Vacation (http://www.princevillehotelhawaii.com/)

kapear
05-05-2007, 02:50 PM
We stayed at the Sheraton in June 05. We booked a standard room and ended up with a great view of the ocean. They have a nice pool area. We also enjoyed sitting in the bar area at night. On certain nights, they shine very strong lights into the ocean to attract the Manta Rays. It was pretty cool to see.

somerville
05-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Great points from everyone.. thank you!

Currently, I have reserved 4 nights at Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa.. anyone ever stayed there?? However, I can change this very easily..

I am going to check out the Princeville resort as well that a few of you have said would be romantic...

The lava/active volcano is def a big draw for the big island, but I suppose we are going for honeymoon flavor.. decisions decisions :banghead:

We stayed at the Sheraton about a year and a half ago. The Princeville Resort is part of The Luxury Collection. It is definitely a step up. I recall that there is no beach at the Sheraton, as the shoreline is rocky (lava). At Princeville, you have views of Bali Hai. We own at Hanalei Bay Resort and The Bay Club Waikoloa. I like both islands, but they are very different. Kauai would definitely be more romantic.

MaryH
05-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I think you might also want to look into some of the 5 day packages at the hotel timeshares. I think they are around US$700-800 with a rental car certificate and some resort certificate and they are offered by
* SVO at Princeville
* Marriott in Kauai
* HGVC at Waikaloa,

You need an existing owner to refer you and there are some over at TUG and also flyertalk.com.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back