PDA

View Full Version : SFX Hawaii Trades

CaliDave
12-16-2005, 07:25 PM
SFX got me back to back weeks at Hanalei Bay and EVR Poipu for June 06.. We are really excited..
anyone been to these resorts?

I had requested Marriotts, but these came up, soI decided to take them

Dave

bigfrank
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I saw HB when I was in Hawaii back in 02. I did not see the rooms, My information may not help you much as I do not remember. I do remember that you can only get there from this narrow road and you had to cross a tiny bridge. Check Tug reviews but what I find that has been working for me is, Check the reviews on Rci website. I do not think you could go wrong with any resort that you get from SFX, They only deal in higher end resorts.

hope54
12-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Dave, you will greatly enjoy HBR. It is in a gorgeous setting. I have read that some of the units need upgrades but they are getting done. We love the north shore. Spend time in the little town of Hanalei - good eating there. At HBR you can sign up for surf lessons with "Ron". He is so good at teaching that you will be up first lesson on the board.

HOPE

barndweller
12-27-2005, 10:13 PM
And we love it there. Do you have a two bedroom? I ask because the two bedrooms are usually in the lower buildings with the fabulous views. Ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor unit for the best views. That is really what this place is all about...the view. The grounds are beautiful and it is a really quiet peaceful place.

I haven't stayed at EVR but we walked all around it the last time we were in Hawaii and the atmosphere is completely different from HBR. EVR is really posh & huge with all the bells & whistles. It has much more of the big resort feel there.

So you will have 2 very different experiences with these two places. Both are really great but in very different ways. Have you been to Kauai before? If not be sure to get the Revealed book from Wizard Publications before you go. It is worth every penny.
Have a great time, Julie

reddiablosv
12-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Dave, you will greatly enjoy HBR. It is in a gorgeous setting. I have read that some of the units need upgrades but they are getting done. We love the north shore. Spend time in the little town of Hanalei - good eating there. At HBR you can sign up for surf lessons with "Ron". He is so good at teaching that you will be up first lesson on the board.

HOPE

Dave, I am envious, and I own on Kauai!! And don't forget that tip on the surfing lessons with Ron. Both of my middle aged sisters and their husbands and kids have taken lessons from him in Hanalei Bay and thought he was great! The ultimate surf bum. I met the guy, but, he was already booked. Ben

dude-luv
01-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Have stayed at the Embassy and went on a tour of the Hanalei Bay Resort.
Loved the Embassy and hope to buy there someday. Note that exchangers often get garden view. We had partial ocean view and loved it. As I understand it, your location and your experience at HBR is often determined on whether you are owners or exchangers. HBR is a gorgeous spot, right next to the Princeville Hotel. Read the reviews on the Timeshare User's Group on both places. I would go back to the Embassy in a blink. Enjoy yourself. Each resort should have its strong points.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I haven't stayed at EVR but we walked all around it the last time we were in Hawaii and the atmosphere is completely different from HBR. EVR is really posh & huge with all the bells & whistles. It has much more of the big resort feel there.

We own at the Embassy and return there regularly. I would like to qualify Julie's statement a bit.

The Embassy was originally built in 1992 as a whole ownership condo project. Just as the project was completed and starting sales, Hurricane Iniki struck Kaua`i. The project was extensively damaged, and sunk the developer. The developers of the Embassy bought the damaged resort, repaired and refurbished it, and converted it to timeshares. The portion of Poipu Kai in which the Embassy is located is zoned residential, not resort. The developer had to get a zoning waiver to sell the project as timeshare. (He was able to get the approval because the Kaua`i county government was anxious to get the property rehabilitated and back on the tax rolls.)

Why is that important? Well, one of the things we like about the Embassy is that has much more the flavor of a residential condo project than a resort. When you approach the resort, you are aware that you are driving through a residential area, not a resort area. When you arrive, there is much more the feel of a residential condo complex than a resort lobby entrance. The layout of the buildings and the rooms is like a residential condo, not a resort. There are many standard features of a "resort" that are not available at the Embassy, such as room service, spas, 24-hour restaurant, gift shops, ballrooms and meeting rooms.

In all, when we return to the Embassy, it has much more the feel that we are staying at our personal ocean front condo, not a luxury hotel/resort. Before we bought at the Embassy, we bought (and rescinded) at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, and we investigated the Lawai Beach Resort (our second choice on Kaua`i) and the Kauai Beach Villas (at that time KBV operated in close conjunction with the adjacent then Radisson hotel).

One of the things that sold us on the Embassy was that it was not a resort such as the Mariott (where we were staying at the time). It is probably more resort-like than Hanalei, but probably the most common complaint voiced by reviewers about the Embassy is that the Embassy doesn't have the features and amenities they expect from a resort. For us, that only makes the Embassy more attractive.

CaliDave
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the great info..
Sounds like they are both very nice.. I think we'll be very happy with EVR. I had requested Marriott , but the EVR came thorugh and they offered it to us.
I'm glad we took it.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Let me add one more reason why we like the Embassy. I love the sound of waves crashing on rocks. It's a lullaby to my ears at night. I love walking rocky shorelines.

The Embassy is on a rocky shoreline. Almost everywhere in the resort, you can hear the waves crashing on the beach, especially at night. Because it is not a resort, there is little external noise in the evening and at night - just the crashing waves.

But if you want a sandy beach, Shipweck Beach is right next door - only about 50 yards or so beyond the east side of the resort.

And if you want the resort amenities, they are available next door at the Hyatt. I usually gift my wife with a certificante to the Hyatt spa when we visit the Embassy.

Bourne
02-26-2006, 07:11 PM
An update on SFX Hawaii trades..

On the Big Island, we have exchanged to Holua at Mauna Loa & Bay Club through SFX...

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back