PDA

View Full Version : Superferry service between islands

hope54
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Hawaii Interisland Travel - The Alternative to a Hawaii Inter Island Flight (http://www.Hawaiisuperferry.com)

Service to begin June 2007. Oahu to Maui to Kaui and back to Oahu each day. Interesting alternative to travel interisland!

Hope

marcmuff
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
How cool is that!!!

http://marcmuff.us/gazer.gif

BocaBum99
02-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Hawaii tends to be very anti-development. I think the SuperFerry is a cool idea and I will use it frequently.

Read this article that shows how desperate some are to kill this project:

starbulletin.com | News | /2007/02/15/ (http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/15/news/story08.html)

Basically, the Hawaii State Senate is trying to force an environmental impact study to determine the effects of the SuperFerry on whales and stuff. What a crock. They just want to do anything they can to delay or kill the project.

It's amazing to me that Outrigger got Beachwalk approved with politicians like these.

bevvy5
02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I love the idea. One of the reasons we're not going to two Islands in '08 is that whole day lost for the hop between Islands. By the time you pack everything up for a plane as opposed to chucking it in the trunk, turn in the rental car, get a new rental car, grocery shop again, it's gruelling.

We use the ferry frequently between the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. I can't imagine having to fly!!

Let's hop it gets off the ground -- er -- let's hope this flys -- er, you know what I mean!!

Bev

Carolinian
02-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Great idea! I'm surprised someone didn't think of it earlier.

I have used some of the interisland ferry services in the Carribean like Sint Maarten to St. Barths. Sint Maarten to Saba, Sint Maarten to Anguilla, Guadeloupe to Dominica to Martinique, and Florida to Freeport. It makes for a good alternative, especially on short hops.

T. R. Oglodyte
02-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Great idea! I'm surprised someone didn't think of it earlier.

I have used some of the interisland ferry services in the Carribean like Sint Maarten to St. Barths. Sint Maarten to Saba, Sint Maarten to Anguilla, Guadeloupe to Dominica to Martinique, and Florida to Freeport. It makes for a good alternative, especially on short hops.

I don't know that it's a case of someone not thinking of it earlier, but more a case of economics. Some of the anticipated fares that I've seen are not much of a savings from inter-island air fares.

The key to viability for me, as an annual visitor to the islands, is how much savings, if any, I might realize from taking a rental car on the ferry, because unless there's a significant cost savings, I"m not going to ferry from Maui to Kaua'i or the Big Island to Kaua'i.

4ARedOctober
02-26-2007, 01:37 AM
It's great to have another option. It does come down to economics. With a larger family it may make sense since the airfare costs add up fast with a family of four. As it is now we try to stay on the same island for multiple weeks anyway to save the money and hassle.

Carolinian
02-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Maybe a hydrofoil passenger service would be viable in Hawaii. I have used those on Florida to Freeport, St. Thomas to St. Croix, and Constanza (Romania) to Istanbul routes.

4ARedOctober
07-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Saw on the news that the Superferry made it. Reservations are now open.

Hawaii Superferry Opens Reservations This Saturday!
Reservations for inter-island travel on Hawaii Superferry’s Alakai will open at 6 a.m. this Saturday morning! Customers are encouraged to make their reservations online at Hawaii Superferry A Whole New Way To Get Around The Islands (http://www.HawaiiSuperferry.com) for the best fares. Customers may also make reservations by calling 1-877-HI-FERRY (877-443-3779) from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. HST, seven days a week. Commercial and group customers should contact a Hawaii Superferry sales manager at 808-853-4115 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday) for assistance with reservations.

Reservations will initially be accepted for travel September 5, 2007 through January 15, 2008. Upon completion of crew and staff training, route familiarization, and final U.S. Coast Guard certification, Hawaii Superferry anticipates that inaugural service will begin sooner, with travel dates beginning in August. Hawaii Superferry will announce those dates, once determined.

Hawaii Superferry A Whole New Way To Get Around The Islands (http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/)

bigfrank
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I think this is such great news that I made a sticky of the thread.:wavey:

JudyS
07-03-2007, 12:12 PM
...Basically, the Hawaii State Senate is trying to force an environmental impact study to determine the effects of the SuperFerry on whales and stuff. What a crock. They just want to do anything they can to delay or kill the project....Of course, planes also have a huge environmental impact, due to such issues as fuel consumption. The intense noise, and the fact that planes resemble predatory birds when viewed from below, can also affect the behavior of wildlife.

I suppose it's possible that the ferry has an equal or greater environmental impact, but I'd tend to think that flying is worse until I see evidence to the contrary.

I still haven't taken my first Hawai trip, but I welcome this alternative for inter-island travel.

BocaBum99
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I just went to price out some fares for Oahu to Maui and Oahu to Kauai. It is really expensive given their 30% fuel surcharge.

I think it's cheaper to rent a car and fly on one of the cheap fares. That's a bit disappointing.

Juleen
07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
From what I've heard and read the ferry will be much slower than flying even considering all the wait time at airports. However, for locals, it'll be great! They can fill the car with goodies for auntie, add the kids and dogs and drive on. I haven't heard yet how the rental car agencies will handle this situation. Should be interesting. We'll be on island Kauai mid July to mid August so will have to take a look!

4ARedOctober
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Still only Oahu and Maui......I need Big Island and Kauai.:abused:

Juleen
06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Actually, there was a hydrofoil ferry many years ago between the islands--probably around 30 years. We actually had tickets on it to go from Oahu to Maui, but it went broke before we got to do that. I don't want to cause an uproar but I do have a concern about the speed of the ferry hitting the whales during whale seson. I have read some discussion about perhaps slowing it during that time or banning its use. On the other hand, I can understand how the locals could use it to go visit Auntie Malia on Kauai. Cram the car full of goodies and kids, drive on board and arrive with a car to use. There has also been some discussion about rental cars being able to use the ferry. The last I heard, several of them have said, no.

flexible
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
When we were in Kauai in September 2007, there were demonstrations against the Super Ferry. Various TS people stated the "Hippies from Oahu will come in their camper vans to Kauai and destroy our tourism business." I couldn't believe the inter-island rivalries. When we left the Super Ferry was on hold, at least for Kauai.

This thread began just before then and only two posts are 2008.

I want to begin planning winter 2009/2010. My husband has generally spent 3-4 months in the same resort condo. I am trying to figure out why resort/islands will be best.

Does anyone know if the Super Ferry is likely to ONLY be Oahu - Maui and not Kauai?

Juleen
08-16-2008, 12:58 PM
As of August, 2008, the Superferry is NOT welcomed on Kauai and does not go there. Also, local TV news was reporting the Superferry to be having financial problems (probably rising fuel costs) with a possibiiity of stopping service in the future. Should be interesting to see what happens.

winger
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
What's the latest on the Super Ferry in case we want to go take a day trip from Maui to say Lanai or Oahu (during our stay in April) ?

Hoc
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Everything's fine between Maui and Oahu, either way. The other islands are not yet included in the routing.

ccpanel
02-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Superferry still not on Kauai(rightfully so) due to intense concern over invasive species hitching a ride and most especially invasive pests-the coqui frog and ANY snakes are key deterrents.

Having spent 6 visits to Kauai-I completely agree about banning the ferry.

wwomant
02-21-2010, 05:37 PM
The Superferry is no longer running. It stopped service about a year ago.

BocaBum99
02-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Superferry still not on Kauai(rightfully so) due to intense concern over invasive species hitching a ride and most especially invasive pests-the coqui frog and ANY snakes are key deterrents.

Having spent 6 visits to Kauai-I completely agree about banning the ferry.

I guess there is some kind of magic pixie dust on all the other ships travelling between islands that prevent such invasive species from crossing islands.

Funny thing is that the single most invasive species in the islands are humans. We should probably just ban all of them from going to any of the outer islands.

The Super Ferry was a very nice inter-island transport mechanism. That it had to go out of business is just shear stupidity on behalf of anti-business politicians whose constituents are now hurting very badly because jobs are getting killed by their moronic policies.

RESORT2ME
02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I guess there is some kind of magic pixie dust on all the other ships travelling between islands that prevent such invasive species from crossing islands.

Funny thing is that the single most invasive species in the islands are humans. We should probably just ban all of them from going to any of the outer islands.

The Super Ferry was a very nice inter-island transport mechanism. That it had to go out of business is just shear stupidity on behalf of anti-business politicians whose constituents are now hurting very badly because jobs are getting killed by their moronic policies.

Apparently invasive species don't do airplanes, only ferries.

It appears many are going to at least one island, this year. Caroll and Robert will respect the human ban after Spring of 2010. Maybe others will do likewise.

It would be nice to fly in, rent a car and journey the whole state without constant airport lines and car turn-ins and pick-ups.

Without economical inter-island transportation and use of one vehicle, we'll dump extra thousands for this one last time and that is it. The aloha islands can do without us. Other states will get our retirement dollars.

If not for our wishing Hawaii as one of our things-to-do for our 50th, we would stay conus this time.

Robert

longtimer
02-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I thought I had read that this service was discontinued due to environmental concerns.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back