PDA

View Full Version : Switching gears for Kauai trip...

Glitter Brunello
01-20-2007, 10:28 PM
We were going to spend a week at the Beachboy in Kapaa. But after discussing with our friends, and reviewing Boca's info, we are thinking about splitting the week between Poipu and Princeville.

We will likely rent in Princeville, I have a few possibilities lined up at Hanalei Bay, but I would appreciate any ideas for 3 night rental in Poipu...

Also, if you think this is a bad idea, please let me know... we will have a week in one place on Big Island before getting to Kauai... and our friends would prefer to be beachfront, and avoid the driving to the 'main' areas...

taffy19
01-20-2007, 11:17 PM
We like the Princeville area better but Poipu is dryer. I believe that you are going in the summer so then it should be OK. The Waiohai is on the beach and we liked staying there very much.

Splitting your week may be a great idea because you don't have to drive back and forward so much and can concentrate in your area. Both have enough to see. We drove twice from Poipu to Princeville in one week and it takes all day if you make stops too. We drove from both places to Waimea Canyon and that was no problem at all.

RichinPa
01-20-2007, 11:34 PM
OK, I am going to give my dissenting opinion about moving. I would opt to stay on one side of the island if ytou are only going to be there a week. Why pick up and move in your last week of a two week vacation. Relax and enjoy that last week from one base.

Kauai is only 30 miles across and yes traffic gets worse every year, but we are talking about 2 hours max from North to South.

Just my opinion........keep it simple.

Glitter Brunello
01-20-2007, 11:38 PM
OK, I am going to give my dissenting opinion about moving. I would opt to stay on one side of the island if ytou are only going to be there a week. Why pick up and move in your last week of a two week vacation. Relax and enjoy that last week from one base.

Kauai is only 30 miles across and yes traffic gets worse every year, but we are talking about 2 hours max from North to South.

Just my opinion........keep it simple.

If it were just us, I'd choose Princeville. But our friends would probably prefer Poipu. So I figure we should split it :abused: I agree that moving will be a pain, but maybe we can try to make a sightseeing day of the move? No kids this trip, so moving should be less of an ordeal. Plus, DH and I will probably stay an extra day or two in Princeville on our own this way after our friends leave for Maui...

Luanne
01-21-2007, 12:17 AM
If it were me, I'd rent a place in Hanelei. I'm not a huge fan of Kauai, but I thought that area of the island was wonderful.

ArtsieAng
01-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Avery....I don't mind moving around, especially when I don't have any kids with me. It's fun to see different areas, and stay in different llocations. If you pack lightly, it's no big deal. JMHO :abused:

If it were just us, I'd choose Princeville. But our friends would probably prefer Poipu. So I figure we should split it :abused: I agree that moving will be a pain, but maybe we can try to make a sightseeing day of the move? No kids this trip, so moving should be less of an ordeal. Plus, DH and I will probably stay an extra day or two in Princeville on our own this way after our friends leave for Maui...

lawren2
01-21-2007, 09:54 AM
=We will likely rent in Princeville, I have a few possibilities lined up at Hanalei Bay, but I would appreciate any ideas for 3 night rental in Poipu...

We spent some time on the Hyatt Poipu grounds when we were there. GORGEOUS! but bring $$$$. I think the hotel room rentals are in the $300/night range.

T. R. Oglodyte
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
There are some nice bed-and-breakfast places on the south shore. There are also many condo rentals available. Just type "Poipu condo rental" into the Yahoo or Google search engine and you'll get more sites than you can possibly investigate.

Glitter Brunello
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
We spent some time on the Hyatt Poipu grounds when we were there. GORGEOUS! but bring $$$$. I think the hotel room rentals are in the $300/night range.

And we don't have Hyatt points :( I think I'll look for a condo rental w/2 bedrooms...

eta: Lawren, the rates start at $490 for Garden View :woot:

bigfrank
01-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Princeville ='s Paradise

Glitter Brunello
01-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Just type "Poipu condo rental" into the Yahoo or Google search engine and you'll get more sites than you can possibly investigate.

I did that, it is indeed overwhelming. I was hoping some here might help me narrow it down! Or maybe I should just book the Marriott with my points, then cancel if I can get a flexchange into Waiohai.. sadly the Marriott hotel reviews aren't too good

lawren2
01-21-2007, 01:11 PM
And we don't have Hyatt points :( I think I'll look for a condo rental w/2 bedrooms...

eta: Lawren, the rates start at $490 for Garden View :woot:

OUCH!

The Sunterra/Embassy has been slowly leaking a week at a time at Poipu Point. There at 6/11 now. Might be worth watching out for.

ALSO could be interesting to see a Travel Agent <wow how old school is that concept?> to see what kind of bulk air/hotel/car package they can come up with for the Hyatt.

We had great luck going that route when we went.

The pool system alone might be worth a night there someday. :sigh:

Faust
01-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Since you’re already traveling two weeks with your friends It might be nice to have some time alone.
You might want to suggest to your friends to split up for a few days, for some romantic time with your love ones in Kauai. They go to Poipu and you stay in Princeville area.

Just my thoughts!!!

Glitter Brunello
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Since you’re already traveling two weeks with your friends It might be nice to have some time alone.
You might want to suggest to your friends to split up for a few days, for some romantic time with your love ones in Kauai. They go to Poipu and you stay in Princeville area.

Just my thoughts!!!

Ken,

And good thoughts they are! We will be alone on Big Island for a week, our friends are meeting us on Kauai. We will spend a week with them, then they go to Maui and we may stay an extra two days on Kauai (I haven't bought air yet, so have some flexibility).

they are flying into Kauai very late, so would prefer we start in Poipu since it seems closer to the airport. I don't mind spending a few nights there, since now it looks like we should be able to spend at least 5 nights in Princeville. :)

Faust
01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is a web site that might help
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/calendar.htm

T. R. Oglodyte
01-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I did that, it is indeed overwhelming. I was hoping some here might help me narrow it down! Or maybe I should just book the Marriott with my points, then cancel if I can get a flexchange into Waiohai.. sadly the Marriott hotel reviews aren't too good

try www.vrbo.com

iceeu2
01-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Glitter, we love staying smack dab in the middle of the island! Can go either direction for the day. We are staying 4 days at the Beachboy and another 4 at Pono Kai and they are both in Kapaa. We have a couple of other days and am thinking of staying in the Poipu area...don't ask me why!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back