PDA

View Full Version : Bless the Macintosh!

taffy19
11-20-2005, 12:33 AM
We just returned from our timeshare at Laguna Beach and had free WiFi as well as a free dial-up connection but our notebook did not work. :mad:

For three months now, I have been trying to get it up and running again. We use the Panda Software and I had bought the Anonymizer which started the problem as it crashed our Toshiba notebook. Microsoft tells me to get in touch with Toshiba and they refer me back to Microsoft. One of the TUGgers tried to help me too.

We went to Las Vegas without our notebook so I was going to have it ready for Laguna Beach no matter what. I spent $35 on Microsoft who told me to go to Toshiba. They did refund me my money today so I was pleased. Toshiba charged me $98 for extending our warranty one more year but no success so I got a well-known National tech company coming to our house before we went to Laguna Beach trying to fix it but he said to go back to Toshiba too and charged me $216 for his two hours

The Toshiba is still not up and running and by now I could have paid for half a new notebook! Give me the Macintosh anytime :!:

What do I do now to get this notebook running again? It is a great notebook when it works. I have re-formatted the disk a second time and re-installed the sytem. What do I do now? Last time, I got a virus before I got Service Pack 2 installed and it stopped working again completely. I hate to be a slave to a computer but I feel that I am with the PC. Please, help. TIA.

Bobo
11-20-2005, 11:09 AM
If the hardware is OK, it should be able to take an install of the OS intended for it. If it can't take an install, then something is probably wrong hardware wise and on a laptop it could be a number of things from the motherboard or a subsytem on it, memory, hard drive, etc. A few questions.... How old is it? What was the original Operating System on it? Has it ever been dropped, gotten wet, or other abuse that you know of?

Personally, I would not spend alot of money on a laptop that was 3 years old or more, no matter how much it cost originally. Believe it or not, it's really at the end of it's useful lifecycle. A desktop's lifecycle is more like 4 years. As a rule laptops are more fragile than desktops as they are usually subject to a lot more abuse, jarring, etc just from their nature of being mobile ..... If you can keep them working at this age (3+) without a lot of fuss, go for it, but if you have to spend money, it would probably be better spent on a new one. And especially now that you have spent some and it still doesn't work. There are great deals in the $600 to $900 range right now (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=i6000lo&s=bsd) and these have plenty of horsepower for the average user to surf the web, write a few emails and Word docs and maybe even watch a movie on it if you had to. Toshiba is a pretty good name in laptops but any laptop can be a problem and the MacIntoshs are not going to be any better as a rule - but they will probably cost more money than a Toshiba or a Dell.

The above is my opinion only, I do work professionally in the IT field.

tonyg
11-20-2005, 11:18 AM
We just can't seem to get along without them, can we Emmy. Once you get used to one you don't want to leave it and then it goes haywire. Usually by the time problems get started it's time to go to newer technology, so it's also time to break the bond with the machine and go new. I think a laptop should just have what is necessary for a trip or temporary back up system. That generally will bring the price level down to where the bond is not so great.

taffy19
12-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Tony and Bobo, you are so right. Next time when I buy a notebook, I will buy the cheapest one I can get away with for the Internet mainly. My BH bought this one but never used it because the letters were too small for him.

Bobo, the Toshiba is just over three years old so ready for the junk yard soon. :cry:

I am so proud because I got both PCs running again after reformatting the hard disks several times and re-installing the software again too. My only problem is that I have lost my Microsoft Office CD so cannot install that on the HP.

There was nothing wrong with the hard disk of the Toshiba notebook or the HP but both were getting viruses before I was ready to finish the installation. I solved that by downloading Microsoft Service Pack II and the new Panda Software. I installed that before going online and than everything was finally OK.

I am still upset that I paid $216 for someone telling me that the hard disk was no good which wasn't the case but he spent two hours here and his time is worth that. Not much I can do. He backed up my files and that was worth it to me so I did not complain to the head office.

If I only learn one thing from this experience is that I need to back up more often so not to lose data and paying dearly for that or buying an expensive computer we do not need. My next computer will be another Mac!

Keitht
12-10-2005, 06:17 AM
My BH bought this one but never used it because the letters were too small for him.

Emmy,
Can you explain what you mean by this? LCD screens do have a 'fixed' resolution, but there are all sorts of ways round the problem.
Font sizes on icons can be change, Start Menu icons can be enlarged, display of text in IE can be enlarged as can display size in most applications

taffy19
12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Keith, the resolution of the notebook screen is 1400 X 1050 pixels so everything is super small. I changed it to 1024 X 768 pixels but the letters are not as sharp as in the other setting.

I can also set it at 1280 X 1024 pixels which this monitor uses here at the HP. I know that you can set the fonts larger and the icons too but my BH didn't know that. He did not use the notebook so I claimed it. He will use it when we are on vacation but he prefers the desktop because of the large monitor. It is very nice.

Are there any tricks to make the letters sharper in the 1024 x 768 setting? I have tried making the fonts larger in 1400 x 768 but they are still very small. I may try the middle setting. TIA.

JWC
12-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Keith, the resolution of the notebook screen is 1400 X 1050 pixels so everything is super small. I changed it to 1024 X 768 pixels but the letters are not as sharp as in the other setting.

I can also set it at 1280 X 1024 pixels which this monitor uses here at the HP. I know that you can set the fonts larger and the icons too but my BH didn't know that. He did not use the notebook so I claimed it. He will use it when we are on vacation but he prefers the desktop because of the large monitor. It is very nice.

Are there any tricks to make the letters sharper in the 1024 x 768 setting? I have tried making the fonts larger in 1400 x 768 but they are still very small. I may try the middle setting. TIA.

There are no tricks that I know of. I just try different combinations of resolution and font sizes to get the best I can.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back