PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Hawaii !!!!

aliikai2
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
:welcome:
Please join us in celebration of our 50th state, and also the state of mind known as the Aloha Spirit that can only be found in one area in the world,

:banana:
HAWAII

Our travels have taken us to 4 of the 5 major islands,and while we have our favorites, you may find yours to be different.

As your moderator, I will be pretty low key, as is the custom in da islands.

Enjoy, ask questions, I do ask that as we develop a data base that you attempt to find the everyday questions answered there before you post, but for now, just ask away.

katiemack
07-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Aloha, aliikai2, and thanks for being here to do this board, it will be great with you as moderator! Mahalo! :allright:

taffy19
07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Our favorite Island was always the Big Island because of the volcano but now we find Kauai our favorite Island as it is still more laid back. We also loved Molikini but there is not much there unless you like hiking. Very few restaurants to have a nice meal or entertainment but I would love to go back again.

How about you?

Jaybee
07-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Aloha!...and Mahalo...We do love visiting the islands, and do that every chance we get. We have been to Oahu several times, and it is the home of many historical places...The Punch Bowl, Pearl Harbor, The Arizona, in particular... places we should never forget.
The Ala Moana Mall is not to be missed, and the Polynesian Cultural Center is a great one-time experience.
We've been to Maui 3 times, Hawaii once, and Kauai, our very favorite, 4 times, and are going again next February. :allright:
Each island posesses its own special magic, and it's hard to imagine that, at one time I didn't think I was interested in going there. What a dunce! Jean

falmouth3
12-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm planning my first trip to Hawaii for Labor Day week, 2006. We're going to Maui. I know there are lots of things to see and do on that island. For my next trip to Hawaii , no date or locations planned yet, where would you suggest I go for sightseeing capabilites? My husband is not one to sit on a beach for more than an hour so I have to keep him occupied by seeing things. My thought was to go to the Big Island. Of course, there's no rush to plan this vacation since my first trip, to Maui, is still 9 months away, but I'd like to get some ideas.

Thanks,
Sue

bigfrank
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Sue every one has a different opinion on which island to see. They might all be in Hawaii but each one is different.
Our favorite island was Kauai, We found this to have more beauty and although you had to drive a lot, it had some great areas to see. Waimea Canyon was a sight in it self, The adventure raft trips were great that take you to a private part of island that you can not get to any other way. We loved the snorkeling there. We did all 4 islands and loved this one the most.
Oahu is like a city but you can walk around there, It is the only island that you can still see Don Ho that is if he remembers his lyrics.
Maui, Unless you plan on doing the road to Hana and the House of the rising Sun. That was the 2 main high lights that we enjoyed. If you are not going to do them then I see no need to go there. BTW The sunset cruise there was very nice.
The big Island has the live Volcano, Coffee farms, Black Sand beaches, Snorkeling off cooks monument. I enjoyed looking around and seeing the black lava all over and then reading the note as people place white shells to make letters. The Volcano park is something you can not miss.

Now there is a 5th island which is Molokai. I have not been there so I can not comment on that Island. But I plan on going there in the future like 2010 maybe. :wavey:

aliikai2
12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
what you enjoy.

Kauai has some great hikes, long beach walks, great boat trips, the grand canyon of the pacific, some wonderful botanical gardens, and lush vegetation, decent snorkeling, some very nice restaurants, and the biggest thing is the Aloha sprit.

And while we favor Kauai, ( It is no longer known as the island for the Newly Weds, or nearly deads that it once was) , the big island of Hawaii has all of this and the most active volcano in the US.

For a second trip, it would be a toss up, they are both so special, and they each have more than enough to keep even a non-beach person entertained.

I would suggest you purchase the Big Island Revealed, and the Ultimate Kauai guide books.

These are both written a couple that lives in the islands and are invaluable in planning your full enjoyment of the islands.

Some additional websites for your planning are http://www.konaweb.com/#WEBCAM
http://www.beachactivityguide.com/
http://kauaikris.com/
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html

We spend about 6 weeks a year in the islands, so feel free to ask any questions, we will be glad to help.

Aloha, :cofee: Greg

I'm planning my first trip to Hawaii for Labor Day week, 2006. We're going to Maui. I know there are lots of things to see and do on that island. For my next trip to Hawaii , no date or locations planned yet, where would you suggest I go for sightseeing capabilites? My husband is not one to sit on a beach for more than an hour so I have to keep him occupied by seeing things. My thought was to go to the Big Island. Of course, there's no rush to plan this vacation since my first trip, to Maui, is still 9 months away, but I'd like to get some ideas.

Thanks,
Sue

falmouth3
12-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks to both Greg and Big Frank. I have already purchased Maui revealed to help me plan my 2006 trip. From other things I'd read, I had kind of ruled ut Kauai because it sounded like a beautiful place to relax, but not much to do. From your comments, it sounds like a worthwhile place to go. I do want to see the volcano, though. I appreciate your help.

Sue

haole-don
12-17-2005, 09:17 AM
From other things I'd read, I had kind of ruled ut Kauai because it sounded like a beautiful place to relax, but not much to do. From your comments, it sounds like a worthwhile place to go.
Sue

Sue,
As others have noted, each island has its own character. The type of activities and night life that you enjoy should help direct your choice.

We had been to Kauai three times, so this past summer decided to spend some time on Oahu (Hilton Hawaiian Village) and the Big Island (Sunterra Sea Village) as well as Kauai (Lawaii Beach Resort). Bottom line was that the kids (17 and 18) asked us not to "waste Hawaii vacation time" by going anywhere other than Kauai again.

There are plenty of things to do and sights to see whichever island you choose.

teepeeca
12-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Even O'ahu has MUCH to do and see. You DON"T have to just stay in Waikiki!!!! I first started going to the Islands, mainly O'ahu, compliments of the military. then we started vacationing there (before timesharing), and bought our 2nd and 3rd timeshare week on O'ahu in 1984.

We now go to ALL of the Islands, usually 4-5 times a year, for at least 2 weeks at a time (thanks to timesharing).

I would be happy to let you "pick-my-brain" (what little I have left of it) on the various Islands---send me an e-mail.

Another suggestion --- go to the website -- www.101thingstodo.com --- and click on the various islands. A wealth of information.

Tony

Jaybee
12-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi, Sue...The last time we were on Maui, we really enjoyed "The Warren and Annabel Show". It is very different, and a bit magical. We thought it was great, but others have been disappointed. So, what else is new? ;)

Faust
12-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Kauai, Kauai, Kauai, need I say more.

marcmuff
12-18-2005, 02:16 PM
If anyone is interested I have photos of our trip to Kauai on my picturetrail site and several albums of pictures of our Maui trip on my webshots site. Click on one of the URL's below.
http://marcmuff.us/santa.gif

i

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back