PDA

View Full Version : Must do on Kauai?

Glitter Brunello
10-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Forgive me if I am repeating what has been asked answered here, but I need a slight twist since we will be travelling with another couple and no kids, and will want as many 'grownup fun' things to do as possible.

Looks like we'll be staying in Kapa'a to take advantage of the midway location b/t Poipu and Princeville. Hiking/extreme driving are no problem. We will be there for one week in summer, on the heels of a week on BI.

I have the Kauai Revealed guide.

Would appreciate your 'don't miss' suggestions, as well as tips for fun things to do/places to go/restaurants/bars at night.

Thanks

Jimbo
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
From the sky you can see the enormity of the wayama canyon and the cliffs. Someone can correct my misspelling and fill in the blanks. We took this tour over 8 years ago and still remember it like it was yesterday. A ride of a lifetime!

iceeu2
10-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Wonderful Kauai:lol:

The first time we went to Kauai, we made sure to do

Helicopter Tour with Interisland no doors
Napali Coast Boat Cruise with Hilo Hilo Charters
ATV Ride with one of the atv companies

Also, be sure to do the drive to Waimea Canyon
Have Friday night seafood buffet at Princeville Hotel
Eat saimen at Hamarua's Saimen in Lihue

:banana:

jimbosee
10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Hello Avery,
Have a Bubber Burger,best hamburger's in the world,and you being young and active would enjoy the kayak--hike--lunch--hike--kyak,to the waterfall.Pat and I did it in 1999,and we were not fit,and I agree,the helicopter ride was great.Enjoy.Oh thanks for the offer of a possible week in NYC.Regards Jim Seedsman.:wavey:

jimbosee.:wavey:

jlr10
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
All of the above and visit the Hindu Monestary, recommended on TUG. I went last week and could not believe the beauty of the grounds. The monk advised the Hawaiian name for the location translated to "Where heaven touches earth." I think it was correctly named.

The monastary is open to the public, but also provides guided tours to the temple being built.

Faust
10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
All the above plus Kauai Coffee plantation
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/kauai_coffee_company.html

Here is a site that might help
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/calendar.htm

Fisch
10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Cocktails at Stevensons Library at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu.

After driving Waimea Canyon, hit the Waimea Brewing Company for some beers. Food is only so so, but the beers are good.

Duke's Canoe Club for sunset cocktails and pupus.

Al

chellej
10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Just went in Sept for my dd 18th birthday & had a very active week - all great tours:

Safari Helicopter
Kayaking at hanalei bay
Ziplining/waterfall - Princeville Ranch
Horseback riding - Silver falls ranch
Holo holo Napali snorkel.

Glitter Brunello
10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
These all sound great! Any more evening ideas? Also, can we rent kayaks and do Hanalei Bay on our own, or do we need to go with a guide?

bigfrank
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
The Captain Zodiac raft ride to the other side of the Island was great.

Look at my Journals for more info. http://www.igougo.com/travelcontent/journal.aspx?JournalID=19420 If you can not view them search for member name big_frank

Luanne
10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
These all sound great! Any more evening ideas? Also, can we rent kayaks and do Hanalei Bay on our own, or do we need to go with a guide?

Hanelei Bay, as I recall, is pretty calm (meaning if you just want to take kayaks out I would think you could do it on your own). Do you mean the Napali coast?

chellej
10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
We went with a guide. First up the river which was very calm. Hanalei bay was also very calm - they took us east around to a small beach for snorkeling & lunch. You can hike down to the beach from a path past shearwater but don't know the name. Snorkeling there was great. Caugh a few waves in the Kayak which thrilled my DD.

THey also give surf lessons there at Hanalei bay too.

While we were waiting for our tour, Peirce Bronson walked across the parking lot & over to a little coffee shop accross the street. Our guide said he has a house near Princeville & will often grow a beard so he is not so "recognizable"

I-DE-HO
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Avery,
If you do a Pahio t/s presentation you can get a heavily discounted helicopter tour out of the Princeville airport. We did that last year and it was fun. But after reading about helicopter crashes on Kauai, and elsewhere, I'm not sure I'd do it again. It was a lot of fun though.

Phil

Glitter Brunello
10-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Helicopters are the one thing I don't think I'm up for... I did the PowerHanggliding/Ultralight out of Hana, but I think helicopters are inherently more dangerous...

garyd210
10-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Earlier this month, 4 of us did the canal tubing out of Lihue with Outfitters. Not very impressed as it was pricey at $109 each and they say 70 percent of the canal tour is in dark, if not pitch black tunnels. Scenery was minimal and did have a average pita pocket buffet sandwich, chips and hawaiian sodas at the end. You spin around a lot as you bounce off the sides of the canal. We had much more fun on the Kauai ATV trip. If you're ok with getting dirty and it it's been raining(pray for rain), the two seater Mud Buggy was really fun, atleast for the driver(me) going through the mud puddles. Beautiful scenery where Jurassic park was filmed. Clothing is included. They sell bandanas for $2 if the weather is drier. It's a 12 mile trip with lunch and a fun swim spot to clean off before more mud. They're out of Kapaa, near Poipu. Buy a snorkel mask and tube as there are a variety of places to pull over and snorkle ie Hanalei Bay, Ke'e Beach at the end of the road. While north, check out the queens bath in Princeville(directions in Kauai Revealed). Princeville Hotel is a pretty place to eat outside on a nice evening to watch the sunset, but you'll probably need reservations. The friday seafood buffet(no lobster) is around $65/each, so for 4 of us with a total of 3 umbrella drinks the tab was just over $300. The Bali Hai Restaurant in Princeville is another beautiful place for a wonderful sunset dinner. It's a bit pricey, but there is the lounge(Happy Talk Lounge?) just a few feet away with much more reasonable, yet not as fancy meals, but you don't feel like you need to be dressed up. They have entertainment most evenings at the lounge(we enjoyed the jazz night). Kauai, you need to know is not the party island, but has it's nice spots. We flew 2 years ago with HeliUSA out of Princeville and did the 1 hour tour. If it looks like rain, try for another day. The main mountain peak is almost always shrouded in clouds, but was clear for a couple of hours on our trip. Hanalei Bay has Zelo's, which is a pretty nice restaurant on the main drag. For lunch, the Tropical Taco is also on the one main street. CJ's is pricey, but has a very reasonable $10 salad bar with nice fresh taro rolls(yum) located in a Princeville shopping center where there's a grocery store, just past the Princeville fountains as you enter the area. Have a wonderful trip. garyd210:grin:

Glitter Brunello
10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Gary,

Thanks for your post and the good ideas. Happy Talk Lounge sounds perfect for us. Anyone know of any similar places in Kapa'a?

4ARedOctober
10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Horseback riding in the north and south as close to the ocean as possible.

Jungle tour, zip lining, kayaking.

Snorkeling in Na Pali is way overated IMHO....the adult fish have been pillaged long ago. Going for the scenery is fine...just don't expect to see much marine life on most of the trips.

101 things to do in Kauai link (http://www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/kauai/index.php)

iceeu2
10-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Glitter, did you do the hanggliding on Maui with Armin? I'm thinking that is what I would like to give the DH for Christmas this year. Did you do morning or night and what are your thoughts?

We did a helicopter tour first time to Kauai, but I have no desire to do that again..

Luanne
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
You guys are all much too adventurous for me. :shock: My "must dos" on any of the Hawaiian islands are lying on the beach and eating [not at the same time necessarily]. Oh yeah, add drinking mai tais to that. :beer:

Glitter Brunello
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Glitter, did you do the hanggliding on Maui with Armin? I'm thinking that is what I would like to give the DH for Christmas this year. Did you do morning or night and what are your thoughts?

We did a helicopter tour first time to Kauai, but I have no desire to do that again..

Yes, we went with Armin, it was wonderful. We started about 9:45 am, there were four of us so it took a while. Armin is wonderful, we each got the kind of ride we wanted, so my boys got a few 'thrills' but I got a nice, scenic, beautiful ride. I would opt for the full hour over the 1/2 hour, your DH will get a lot of scenery in that way. If there are two of you, you might get Armin to sell you one hour and one 1/2 hour, but split the time into two 45 minute rides, that would be good too. I doubt he goes at 'night,' and there wouldn't be anything to see if he did. We spent the night before in Hana so it made for a terrific side trip. If you wanted to drive from West Maui, you could still make an afternoon flight, but hopefully you'd spend that night in Hana to enjoy what's there the next day...

Glitter Brunello
10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
You guys are all much too adventurous for me. :shock: My "must dos" on any of the Hawaiian islands are lying on the beach and eating [not at the same time necessarily]. Oh yeah, add drinking mai tais to that. :beer:

I love eating on the beach :biggrin: but not as much as drinking Mai Tai's on the beach :woot:

T. R. Oglodyte
10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
You said hiking is not a problem.

Well ... Kaua`i probably has the best hiking trails in the world. You asked for "must do"s". If you like hiking, then hiking has to be one of the must do's.

If trail conditions are good on the north side (meaning rains have held off for several days), the Kalalau trail that takes off from the end of the road at Ke`e Beach is considered one of the finest trails in the world. You can go to the first stream crossing without a permit, and then take the side trip up to the falls. This is an all day hike and spectacular. But if it's been raining, conditions can be pretty bad.

In that case, though, you just go to the other side of the island and do the Nu`alolo loop trail. That hike starts out at the edge of the rain forest at the top of Waimea Canyon, then takes you on the top of two of the ridges that form the Na Pali coast. The scenery and the vistas are spectacular and breathtaking. Personally, I think the only reason to prefer the Kalalau trail over the Nu`alolo loop is the side hike to the waterfall that the Kalalau offers. Because the Nu`alolo loop is on the leeward side of the island, Nu`alolo loop trail conditions are more predictable and are often better than those on the Kalalau. Also, because the Nu`alolo loop trail is at higher elevation, the temperatures are cooler. (This can be a big factor if the trade winds have failed or are weak.) The full Nu`alolo loop is a day hike.

Bring lots of water, especially if the trade winds fail or are weak. Both times I have done these trails the trade winds were weak. When I did the Kalalau I brought two liters of water, most of which I drank on the way in. On the way back I battled significant heat stress all the way. Every stream crossing I sat in the stream for about 20 minutes to cool off, and I finally resorted to refilling my water bottles with water from a small stream we crossed, and crossed my fingers that I didn't get sick later (which I didn't). On the Nu`alolo loop, I drank 4 liters of water, and could have easily consumed an additional two liters.

There are lots of other hikes I'm looking forward to in future visits.

Glitter Brunello
10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Steve,

The hikes sound great. I prefer hiking and kayaking to horseback riding and ATVs since I do have a bad back and Denise's Kauai trip report reminded me I should probably any rough rides.

T. R. Oglodyte
10-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Steve,

The hikes sound great. I prefer hiking and kayaking to horseback riding and ATVs since I do have a bad back and Denise's Kauai trip report reminded me I should probably any rough rides.

See here for some previous comments I made about the Nu`alolo loop (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65879&postcount=51) and the Kalalau trail (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65909&postcount=53).

And here is a link to a photo of the Nu`alolo valley (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&d=1156108603) - typical of the spectacular views from the trail.

Glitter Brunello
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
See here for some previous comments I made about the Nu`alolo loop (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65879&postcount=51) and the Kalalau trail (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65909&postcount=53).

And here is a link to a photo of the Nu`alolo valley (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&d=1156108603) - typical of the spectacular views from the trail.

I thought they sounded familiar..the photos are incredible, I am excited!!!

iceeu2
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Duh.............color me stupid.:clueless: Gotta learn to proofread. What in the world would you see at night on a hangglider???

MaryH
10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
We did the luau at Smith's family paradise and it was pretty decent.

For food, Oki Diner near Lihue is a must do and Hanalai Dolphin is a good lunch spot. For higher end dining in the evenings, my favourite for a sunset dinner is Beach House in Lawai Beach and in Hanalai the Bar Accuda (sp?) is pretty decent for tapas and postcard cafe has great fish for a relaxed dinner.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back